• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I also checked The Good Body (Eve Ensler) out of the library, and put it into my car CD player on the way to Carson City today. My thirty-five year-old daughter became so uncomfortable with Ensler's description of lesbian nipple-piercing that I had to push the stop button. I guess I'll have to listen to the rest when she's not in the car.

Exerpt from: The Good Body

I am stepping off the capitalist treadmill. I am going to take a deep breath and find a way to survive not being flat or perfect. I am inviting you to join me, to stop trying to be anything, anyone other than who you are. I was moved by women in Africa who lived close to the earth and didn’t understand what it meant to not love their body. I was lifted by older women in India who celebrated their roundness. I was inspired by Marion Woodman, a great Jungian analyst, who gave me confidence to trust what I know. She has said that “instead of transcending ourselves, we must move into ourselves.” Tell the image makers and magazine sellers and the plastic surgeons that you are not afraid. That what you fear the most is the death of imagination and originality and metaphor and passion. Then be bold and LOVE YOUR BODY. STOP FIXING IT. It was never broken.

StillILearn said:
I also checked The Good Body (Eve Ensler) out of the library, and put it into my car CD player on the way to Carson City today. My thirty-five year-old daughter became so uncomfortable with Ensler's description of lesbian nipple-piercing that I had to push the stop button. I guess I'll have to listen to the rest when she's not in the car.

Exerpt from: The Good Body
Sounds rather painful.........

Glory - Vladimir Nabokov
Invitation to a Beheading - Vladimir Nabokov
Cause of Death - Patricia Cornwall (although I've already read it a while back)
The Sinner - Tess Gerritsen (a first time for this author)
Caesar's Women - Colleen McCullough (another first)
Fatal Voyage - Kathy Reichs (a duplicate but at least it will replace a paperback)
The Odyssey - Homer (for a friend)

And all for a bargain price with thanks to the Friends of the Library in Covington:D

just picked up a series of books called The American Presidency for the boyfriend. It has one volume for each president. It stops somewhere in the 70s though (don't remember exactly where)

I picked up a copy of The Scarlet Letter
Hester by Christopher Bigsby
and a Dicken's omnibus type thing with Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, and A Tale of Two Cities in it.

I went to the bookstore today and couldn't resist buying more books, so here are my purchases:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood (I have read this one already, but loved it so much that I just had to buy it)

The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-Revert
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
The Alchemist
Vernon God Little
Yann Martel - Life of Pi

Thes are the books I have purchased in the last month. Because I was reccomended to read them by friends. I thank those friends because I really liked all of these books.

I bought and just received in the mail today from Amazon:

The Widow's War : A Novel - Sally Gunning ....for my wife

The Rebels Of Ireland: The Dublin Saga - Edward Rutherfurd....for me

Lots of reading in front of me....The Rebels Of Ireland is A huge Book

I've read Sarum by Rutherfurd and enjoyed it very much. One other too, but the name escapes me at the moment.:eek:

I went a-book shopping today.

I got:
Stuart: A Life Backwards - Alexander Masters (because I've been dying to read it after hearing some of the story of how it was made)
Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl - Tracy Quan :rolleyes:
Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre (to see what the fuss is about)
The Sixth Lamentation - William Brodrick
When We Were Orphans - Kazuo Ishiguro (because it was on sale and I forgot I ordered it the other day from Amazon, which is getting shipped today :rolleyes: birthday pressie for someone then lol ;))

A Star Called Henry, Roddy Doyle
The Van, Roddy Doyle
A Short History Of Tractors In Ukranian, Marina Lewycka
Mason & Dixon, Thomas Pynchon
Dr. Haggard's Disease, Patrick McGrath

The Book Fairy left me with a Mary Stewart book as I'd not read any of her novels - it's entitled This Rough Magic.

Also couldn't resist two Terry Brooks novels - The High Druid of Shannara - Jarka Ruus and Antraxx.

And to add to my reference library I picked up Catilin Matthews book entitled Mabon and the Guardians of Celtic Britain.

Help - I need more bookshelves.

steffee said:
Ask Pontalba to lend you some Breaca!

The book fairy? What a good idea, maybe he could visit me lol :D

As long as he/she doesn't have to wear those stupid tights..might be kinda fun;)

steffee said:
Ask Pontalba to lend you some Breaca!

The book fairy? What a good idea, maybe he could visit me lol :D

You have to be a very good girl for the elusive book fairy to visit.

As for Pontalba lending me some bookshelves.... Sounds like fighting talk to me. Now that her new ones have arrived I doubt very much if she'll part with them anytime soon.

Breaca said:
You have to be a very good girl for the elusive book fairy to visit.

As for Pontalba lending me some bookshelves.... Sounds like fighting talk to me. Now that her new ones have arrived I doubt very much if she'll part with them anytime soon.
Umm, Excuse Me you guys! :p :p :D

I ain't partin' with none O my shelves. Thats sort of an "over my dead body" sorta thing.......

Actually I had a visit from the alleged Book Fairy as well.

The Odyssey I've been threatening to read it for years, and finally someone called me on it. My excuse has always been, oh, I can't take a chance on getting something icky (like potato 'crisps', or chocolate (which I have btw given up due to Arthritis Pains), or coffee, or tea stains) on it. After all the books were my great-grandfathers, and I don't want to muck them up.
No More Excuses.
Oh, and I've ordered:

Tortilla Flats
Sweet Thursday
Keeper of the House

The latter is by Shirley Ann Grau. I read it many, many, many years ago, so this will be a nice re-visit. :cool:

pontalba said:
The Odyssey I've been threatening to read it for years, and finally someone called me on it. My excuse has always been, oh, I can't take a chance on getting something icky (like potato 'crisps', or chocolate (which I have btw given up due to Arthritis Pains), or coffee, or tea stains) on it. After all the books were my great-grandfathers, and I don't want to muck them up.
Oh wow, books from your great-grandfather, how cool! :eek: :D

Does chocolate cause arthritis? Oh no :(

Oh don't mind us Pontalba, we just figured you might need a bit of help with all those bookshelves you have, and I'm sure Breaca would provide a good home for them lol.

But then, on second thoughts, you did say you might even need two more, so maybe you'd better keep them after all ;)

Back