• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

pontalba said:
Why Stewart! That you'd be posting in the Nabokov threads of course. :eek: :)

Oh, right. Sorry, mind's on the telly at the moment.

Maybe, reading Lolita just now; about a hundred pages in. Will take them one at a time. :)

Here's what I bought today:

Ring - Koji Suzuki (£2.97)
Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood (£2.00)
Murder in the Dark - Margaret Atwood (£1.50)
Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell (£2.00)
The Dilbert Principle - Scott Adams (£1.79)
The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux (£0.75)
The Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett (£0.75)
Filth - Irvine Welsh (£0.75)
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver (£0.75)

The Poisonwood Bible was a random buy (and when I got home I noticed it was sort of falling apart) because I had heard it mentioned here. Is it good?

We met some friends for lunch in Gig Harbor yesturday and there was a great little used book store next to the resturant so I picked up Jacob's Ladder by Donald Mccaig but my husband pulled me out before I could get any more than that :rolleyes:

I had already picked up 2 books (the Wholeness of a Broken Heart by Katie Singer and the World's Most Remarkable Buildings and How They Came to Be by Alan Van Dine) at Barnes & Noble while buying a gift for my Mom.

tartan_skirt said:
The Poisonwood Bible was a random buy (and when I got home I noticed it was sort of falling apart) because I had heard it mentioned here. Is it good?
I'm not sure what the general consensus is on the book, but I really enjoyed it. I'm drawn to books that are told from numerous viewpoints, so that, and my interest in learning about other cultures and their history, made this book a compelling and interesting one. I've also heard that her book Prodigal Summer is very good, but I haven't tried that one yet.

I bought all of these at a used bookstore except for the last, which is a new release.

My Only Story - Monica Wood
Durable Goods - Elizabeth Berg
The Way the Crow Flies - Ann-Marie MacDonald
The King of Lies - John Hart

The TBR pile was looking a little anemic, so I picked up this smattering from the 3-for-2 table:

The Spiral Staricase - Karen Armstrong - makiing and remaking a life
Hell's Angels - Hunter Thompson - "rough, stomach turning, fascinating"
Housekeeping - Marilynne Robinson - because I like Gilead

We shall see,
peder

abecedarian said:
I went to the libary this afternoon and brought home Lolita..I just had to see what the rukus was all about;)

Oh, yay, abc. I can't wait to hear what you think. If you want some help in beating up on the evil HH, just give me a holler. No punishment imaginable is too harsh for that vile man. :D

StillILearn said:
Oh, yay, abc. I can't wait to hear what you think. If you want some help in beating up on the evil HH, just give me a holler. No punishment imaginable is too harsh for that vile man. :D
Oh SIL! As a former Prosecutor, you should know better than to stack the Jury at this early stage. :eek: :D
for above statement to make any kind of sense at all, see Lolita thread. The Court Case. :cool:

pontalba said:
Oh SIL! As a former Prosecutor, you should know better than to stack the Jury at this early stage. :eek: :D
for above statement to make any kind of sense at all, see Lolita thread. The Court Case. :cool:

Does this mean that you're kicking me out of the jury box? Okay. I promise to remain completely fair and unbiased. :D

Just like that snake Humbert did.

Peder said:
The TBR pile was looking a little anemic, so I picked up this smattering from the 3-for-2 table:

The Spiral Staricase - Karen Armstrong - makiing and remaking a life
Hell's Angels - Hunter Thompson - "rough, stomach turning, fascinating"
Housekeeping - Marilynne Robinson - because I like Gilead

We shall see,
peder

Um, I am picturing your current book collection as something that King Kong could climb with Faye Wray tucked beneath his arm. (Of course, it would seem as nothing when compared to pontlba's.) :D

StillILearn said:
Um, I am picturing your current book collection as something that King Kong could climb with Faye Wray tucked beneath his arm. (Of course, it would seem as nothing when compared to pontlba's.) :D
Hah! Just because I don't have my loot packed away in boxes......:)eek: :D ) And never....ever....give any away. Well, maybe one or two, but thats it! Oh, maybe a couple of boxes to Good Will.......:p

StillILearn said:
Still,
Um, well yes, sorta. :)
I'm thinking of moving this chair out and just sitting on a carton of books instead. More space for books that way. :rolleyes:
Peder

Back