• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I first read it in 8th grade. After that it was Jules Verne - I fell headlong into Verne books. My very first book was Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.

Are you counting the first one you read for yourself, or the first one you ever owned? First ones owned for me were Little Golden Books and Rand McNally Elf books such as The Three Bears, Little Black Sambo(who was East Indian), Mother Goose, and Little Red Riding Hood.
First ones I remember reading for myself were Papa Small by Lois Lenski and Dan Frontier series titles by William Hurley(I was Fess Parker's biggest fan when I was a first grader...Lurved Daniel Boone!)

Indignation by Philip Roth. Hilarious opening chapter on choosing a college to get away from obsessive parents.

The results from my latest book sale venture:

Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon
The Secret Life of Laszlo, Count Dracula by Roderick Anscombe
Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire
Guenevere: Queen of the Summer Country by Rosalind Miles
World Without End by Ken Follett

A Mercy by Toni Morrison.

also...

Two books on Florida Birds: it's research material for a short story I am working on - a murder mystery: The crazed man, a bird enthusiast, kills his wife after finding out she has a secret lover.

Went to the library and came home with three sale books.

Cross by James Patterson. My favorite detective.

Third Degree by Greg Iles. My first Iles.

and

They Have a Word for It by Howard Rheingold.

Major Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

I've hardly read any Poe at all, and this good looking and cheap copy from Borders fit the bill to begin.

Library books borrowed:

The God of the Hive by Laurie R. King
Swords of Talera,
Wings Over Talera,
Witch of Talera
by Charles Allen Grammlich

Oops, forgot to mention the one book borrowed at the library:

American Taliban by Pearl Abraham. A sympathetic novel which follows a young American surfer from North Carolina's Outer Banks as he travels "on a distinctly American spiritual journey that begins with Transcendentalism and countercultural impulses, enters into world mysiticism, and finds its destination in Islam."

Due back in the library in a month. /fingers crossed/

Major Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

I've hardly read any Poe at all, and this good looking and cheap copy from Borders fit the bill to begin.
I have a hardcover collection of Poe that needs to be read in the worst way. (Also purchased from Borders!) Want to read it together some time? :flowers: It would be great to share thoughts with someone who is reading the same stories.

Lonely Planet Germany
Lonely Planet Western Europe
Lonely Planet Eastern Europe
Lonely Planet Russia and Belarus
Lonely Planet Russian Phrasebook
Lonely Planet Eastern Europe Phrasebook

I have a hardcover collection of Poe that needs to be read in the worst way. (Also purchased from Borders!) Want to read it together some time? :flowers: It would be great to share thoughts with someone who is reading the same stories.

Ok, that sounds great FM. I want to finish the Holmes/Russell story from the library first though, should be able to start on the Poe in the next couple of days.

AIE: btw, have you seen the yummy edition that Barnes and Noble has? Beautiful, and most tempting.

Ok, that sounds great FM. I want to finish the Holmes/Russell story from the library first though, should be able to start on the Poe in the next couple of days.

AIE: btw, have you seen the yummy edition that Barnes and Noble has? Beautiful, and most tempting.
Oh, take your time. I am trying to decide which of the small stack of library books I should devote time too... It's unfortunate that I'm in this mood for my own books especially since I waited so long to get the Dragon Age prequel in.

From the Library Sale, again:

The Passions of the Mind by Irving Stone

East of the Mountains by David Guterson

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

The Writer's Control of Tone by Edward M. White

From the library:
The Lady of the Shroud - Bram Stoker
A People's History of the United States: 1492 - Present - Howard Zinn

And my boyfriend bought me The Egyptian Book of the Dead. This historian is very happy.

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, again, I think. But it was such a nice clean copy at a library sale. :innocent:

Los Alamos by Joseph Kanon, a murder mystery set at the actual place. Instantly intriguing.

Two libraries and a garage sale:

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China-Jung Chang( fifty cents...on my list...MINE!)
People of the Book-Geraldine Brooks(started this morning)
Excalibur-Bernard Cornwell
Shannon-Frank Delaney
Grave Sight-Charlaine Harris
Grave Surprise-Charlaine Harris
A Touch of Dead-Charlaine Harris
Good Omens-Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Back