• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Went on a little trip to the charity shops today, didn't find much though.

Interview with th Vampire - Anne Rice
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams
Out - Natsuo Kirino
Red Hot Chili Peppers, By the Way, The Biography - Dave Thompson

water faerie said:
Tartan, have you ever read Interview with the Vampire, or is it your first time? I loved that book. I read it twice.

I just bought it, but I've been wanting to read it for a while. I bought Queen of the Damned a while ago but decided not to read that until I got the first two. Been looking for them for about a month (cheap copies), so I'll definately need to start reading it soon. :D

My three latest buys:
Wind-up Bird Chronicles - Haruki Murakami
Ill Met by Moonlight - W. Stanley Moss
Under Milk Wood - Dylan Thomas

Incubus Dreams-Laurell K. Hamilton (Hardcover fifty cents)
Witch Hunt-Ian Rankin (Hardcover One Dollar)
Cold Mountain-Charles Frazier (HC One Dollar)

and from the library (don't know if this counts):

Choke-Chuck Palahniuk
The Sweet Trade-Elizabeth Garrett
The other side of the story-Marian Keyes

Mary, Bloody Mary- Carolyn Meyer
Dawn and the Impossible Three- Ann M. Martin
Boy-Crazy Stacey- Ann M. Martin
Babysitters' European Vacation- Ann M. Martin

Plan to buy more tomorrow!

Tartan, I've only read Interview With the Vampire, so when you finish The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned, let me know how they are. I have them, but haven't read them because I don't really like Lestat.

water faerie said:
Mary, Bloody Mary- Carolyn Meyer
Dawn and the Impossible Three- Ann M. Martin
Boy-Crazy Stacey- Ann M. Martin
Babysitters' European Vacation- Ann M. Martin

I used to LOVE the babysitters club!! I was more of fan of the Karen spinoff though. I loved Karen!

Pearl, I read them when I was like, 7 or 8, but I came across a thread on a messageboard (not this one) about them, and it made me miss them, so I've been rebuying and rereading them. They're quick, fun reads. I finish them in a day usually.

I finally got around to spending today the book vouchers that I got for my birthday two months ago. I brought home 1421, and Tycho & Keppler (originally published in hardcover as The Nobleman and His Housedog).

I was looking for something thought-provoking and informative that would last me for a while, and these books certainly look like that.

Girlfriend In A Coma - Douglas Coupland

Equal Rights - Terry Pratchett
Thought I would give it ago, be my 1st read of his :eek:

Mathematical Mysteries by Calvin C. Clawson (CCC!)
Mathematical Sorcery also by CCC
The Scientists by John Gribbin

Bought three books today:

Empress Orchid - Anchee Min
The Sterkarm Handshake - Susan Price
Transformation - Carol Berg.

Just placed an order with Amazon. Some older books as there seems to be a few series about & I'll start at the beginning:

Double Homicide – Faye Kellerman & Jonathan Kellerman
Dead Wrong – Mariah Stewart
Death at La Fenice – Donna Leon
Murder List – Julie Garwood
Report for Murder – V.L. McDermid
Hush – Anne Fraiser
Sleep Tight – Anne Fraiser
Stealing Faces – Michael Prescott
A Season for the Dead – David Hewson
The Morning After – Lisa Jackson
The Mermaids Singing – Val McDermid
Still Waters – Tami Hoag

That should keep me busy! :)

Bloody hell! Are you Bill Gates? I could go on Amazon and figure out how much you've spent for myself, but... I can't be assed.

I haven't heared of any of those books or authors, so I haven't a clue what you're into, but on your next trip to the rainforest, I recommend you buy One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Márquez. I'm reading that now, after being recommended it by SillyWabbit, and it's absolutely amazing.

Porthos said:
Just placed an order with Amazon. Some older books as there seems to be a few series about & I'll start at the beginning:

Double Homicide – Faye Kellerman & Jonathan Kellerman
Dead Wrong – Mariah Stewart
Death at La Fenice – Donna Leon
Murder List – Julie Garwood
Report for Murder – V.L. McDermid
Hush – Anne Fraiser
Sleep Tight – Anne Fraiser
Stealing Faces – Michael Prescott
A Season for the Dead – David Hewson
The Morning After – Lisa Jackson
The Mermaids Singing – Val McDermid
Still Waters – Tami Hoag

That should keep me busy! :)

:eek: Would keep me busy to....Busy working to pay for them all .... Gasp!

nighthawk said:
Bought another one today :rolleyes:
Raymond Chandler again, this time ... The Big Sleep

That's one author I am really interested in reading. Will have to indulge myself at some time :)

Anyway, I have new books :D

Veronika decides to die - Paulo Coelho.
Veronika has everything she could wish for - young and pretty with plenty of attractive boyfriends, a steady job, and loving family. Yet Veronika is not happy and one winter morning she takes an overdose of sleeping pills only to wake up some time later in the local hospital where she is told that her heart is now irreparably damaged and she has only a Few days to live...

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
This is the story of Santiago, an Andalusian Shepherd boy who dreams of travelling the world in search of treasure as extravagant as any found. From his home in Spain he travels to the exotic markets of Tangier and then into the Egyptian desert where a fateful encounter with an alchemist awaits him.

Jigs and Reels by Joanne Harris.
Take your partners, please. Suburban witches, defiant old ladies, ageing monsters, suicidal Lottery winners, wolf men, dolphin women and middle-aged manufacturers of erotic leatherwear. In these twenty-two short stories from the author of HOLY FOOLS and FIVE QUARTERS OF THE ORANGE, the miraculous goes hand-in-hand with the mundane, the sour with the sweet, and the beautiful, the grotesque, the seductive and the disturbing are never more than one step away. JIGS & REELS is Joanne Harris' first collection of short stories, As she says in her Foreword, a good short story can startle, ignite, and illuminate...giving you vivid, anarchic glimpses into different world, different people. Here, she proves she is as good as her word by creating an eclectic selection of tales for our times that will delight, surprise, entertain and horrify in equal measure. Sly, funny, sometimes provocative but always personal, JIGS & REELS shows a side to Joanne Harris you have never seen before. So go on, be tempted. After all, it's only dancing.

Lives of the monster dogs by Kirsten Bakis.
A group of elegant dogs in top hats, tails and bustled shirts become instant celebrities when hey descend on New York in 2008. Refugees from a town in Canada that has been isolated for over a hundred years, the monster dogs retain the nineteenth century Prussian culture of their human creator. they talk, walk upright and seem to lead charmed lives, but as Cleo Pira - a young woman who befriends them - discovers, a strange illness Has begun to threaten them with extinction.

Nosferatu Man said:
Bloody hell! Are you Bill Gates? I could go on Amazon and figure out how much you've spent for myself, but... I can't be assed.

I haven't heared of any of those books or authors, so I haven't a clue what you're into, but on your next trip to the rainforest, I recommend you buy One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Márquez. I'm reading that now, after being recommended it by SillyWabbit, and it's absolutely amazing.

Most of the books ordered by my fellow muskahound are crime thrillers and the order would come to about £50. Not bad for that many books don't you think?

I'm going to order some of Amazon soon. Got 29 on my wish list so far. Might have to order them all :) Nothing like receiving a parcel full of books :cool:

StillILearn said:
How did you like Shadow of the Wind, mehasings?

I'm actually still reading it. It is quite long (almost 500 pages). I've had a busy yardwork filled week and haven't been reading as much as possible. So far it is really great. I sit down to read and wake up 30 minutes later with a good 20 pages under my belt. If it weren't so long it would be a quick read because the story moves fast and really keeps the reader interested. I suggest to all!!

Back