• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently purchased DVDs

Been a cracking good past month for films:

- Pelle The Conqueror (Max von Sydow excelling) - 7.5/10
- Lift to the Scaffold (Louis Malle with Jeanne Moreau in her first lead role)- 8/10
- The Lives of Others (impeccable characterisation) - 8.5/10
- Kiss Me Deadly (original & best noir - Mike Hammer) - 8.5/10
- Earrings of Madame de (Max Ophuls' "most perfect film ever made") - 9/10
- Stranger on a Train (tres contrived Hitchcock) - 5/10
- Whisper of the Heart (Studio Ghibli is quite simply the best animation on the planet) - 9/10
- The Snake Pit (Olivia DeHavilland stole the lead role of a scizophrenic from Gene Tierney) - 8/10

Bart.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51s4mOVbNWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51BXREEVJ3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie ~ missed picking this one up 5 or 6 years ago before it went out of print. Finally glad to have it.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51PJX7GZW3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

~ the Mad Dutchman's satiric take on the Heinlein classic

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51701Q5C6EL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

~ 70's thriller with Jodie Foster and a really creepy Martin Sheen

The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Cary Grant Box Set includes:
Holiday
Only Angels Have Wings
The Talk of the Town
His Girl Friday
The Awful Truth

My last DVD purchase was "Alien."

Generally though, I don't purchase DVDs until a significant amount of time has passed so that I can determine whether my desired movies have passed the test of my time. I usually wait for at least 5-10 years to pass.

Or you can just call me a cheapskate.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51PJX7GZW3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

~ the Mad Dutchman's satiric take on the Heinlein classic
What is special about the Special Edition? Anything particularly good?

My boyfriend and I finished up our X-Files collection by buying Seasons 7, 8, & 9 (the last three seasons). They were on sale for $20 at Fry's. Whoo hoo!

There's a lotta featurettes on the making of it. I love to hear the Mad Dutchman talk about his movies. It was cheap and it's OOP now so I bought it. This one and Robocop are my fave American films by him. Such a great satirist...and it's one of the most violent mainstream movies I've ever seen.

There's a lotta featurettes on the making of it. I love to hear the Mad Dutchman talk about his movies. It was cheap and it's OOP now so I bought it. This one and Robocop are my fave American films by him. Such a great satirist...and it's one of the most violent mainstream movies I've ever seen.
I'd only seen Starship Troopers once (a few years ago)... it was freakin' awesome. And I thought I knew what it was about and was incredibly surprised by the awesome violence! :D
"OOP" ??? :confused:

I know I saw Robocop when I was little, but I was 5. Don't remember much about it. I think I liked it.

I bought series one of Steven Moffat's BBC series Jekyll. Two episodes in, I'm completely in love. A 21st-century update on Jekyll and Hyde that must have been an absolute joy to play - it certainly is to watch...

The last DVD I bought was "Crazy", a German movie about some young people visiting a boarding school and trying to face the problems which come along with growing up.

My deepdiscount.com 20% off haul:

Mandingo ~ the 70's big budget exploitation classic finally on dvd

Lovejoy ~ seasons 2&3

and some 70's Japanese exploitation flix to round it all out:
Bohachi Bushido: Code of the Forgotten Eight
Girl Boss Revenge Sukeban
Delinquent Girl Boss: Blossoming Night Dreams

Serial ~ Hilarious sendup of late 70's trends and lifestyles in Marin County, CA. Martin Mull is great as the everyman under siege who's trying to keep his family together. Sally Kellerman is great as his wife's best friend who's ready to adopt the next fad at a moment's notice and Christopher Lee has some funny scenes as Mull's boss and leader of a gay biker gang, the Road Reamers. Based on the Cyra McFadden novel, it's one of my fave forgotten comedies.

The X-Files Revelations

The X-Files Revelations
From the back cover said:
Chris Carter, creator of The X-Files, and executive producer Frank Spotnitz have deemed these eight episodes as essential viewing for fans who want to fully experience all the thrills, mysteries and nuances of the upcoming theatrical movie. Exploring themes centering on alien abductions, psychic phenomenon, and life forms not quite human this exclusive collection also features individual introductions explaining why each episode was chosen. Two-disc set includes:

-Introductions to all eight episodes by the series creator Chris Carter and executive producer Frank Spotnitz
-WonderCon Talent Panel featuring David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Chris Carter, and Frank Spotnitz
-Theatrical trailer for the upcoming X-Files movie
It seems a little silly getting this since we own all 9 seasons, but I couldn't help myself. But I also got movie money with this! So, free admission, yay!

Back