• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently purchased DVDs

Technically I didn't purchase these since they were Christmas gifts, but I received the following:
Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol. 1
Sealab 2021 Vol. 1 & 2
And a few "adult" videos which I will refrain from naming.:eek:

.... refrain :]

Picked up Bob Roberts yesterday. Haven't seen that one in ages. Here's hoping it will feel less realistic 10+ years on, but I'm not hopeful...

Fulci is over the top, agreed, but it seems to me there's a certain bleak viciousness to his work that I (yes, I'm a bit sick that way I guess) really enjoy, directed not so much towards the characters as towards the viewers. Most horror directors - at least most US/UK ones - seem to basically be on our side; the monsters might get us, but they want us to at least hope the good guys will prevail. Fulci on the other hand seems to want humanity to lose, and he wants his viewers to think that we're inevitably going to. Gotta respect that.

I have a healthy disrespect of Fulci.

We also got The 5th Element Ultimate Edition. My boyfriend had the first DVD & when he saw the ultimate ed. he gave his old one to his dad. I think it's one of his favorite movies.
Normally we don't replace our movies for a special edition, but this was an exception.

Finally – after promising to do so for several years – actually replaced my video of The Blue Angel with the remastered DVD yesterday. Not before time, since the sound quality on the video was dire.

It's not one of the films in a boxed set of 18 Marlene Dietrich movies that Moviemail is currently selling for a crackpot price of £59.99 – reduced from £149.99, but that's tempting me no end.

Bought 'Witness SE', 'Name Of The Rose SE' & 'Strange Days' from one of the online Jan sales. Also got 'Watership Down/The Plague Dogs' AnimationDouble Pack from Australia. Excellent!

The Alien Quadrilogy. In addition to the four movies, there are also alternate cuts of each film, numerous featurettes/documentaries, trailers, and commentaries. At almost $30.00 I couldn't resist it!

The Alien Quadrilogy. In addition to the four movies, there are also alternate cuts of each film, numerous featurettes/documentaries, trailers, and commentaries. At almost $30.00 I couldn't resist it!

That's a brilliant box set; probably the best I own. Tons of extra features that are usually even worth watching, plus at least two of the movies (Aliens and Alien3) are a lot better in the longer cut.

Anamnesis said:
$30?! That's an amazing price! I bought the quadrilogy for my boyfriend a couple years ago and it was more than double that! :( Great deal Anamnesis.
It is a great set with awesome features.

I only own Alien and Aliens. I refuse to acknowledge the other two were ever made.

Alien and Aliens are both masterpieces of their respective genre. To this day the suspense of Alien still gets me and the action of Aliens is still great.

$30?! That's an amazing price! I bought the quadrilogy for my boyfriend a couple years ago and it was more than double that! Great deal Anamnesis.
It is a great set with awesome features.

Heh, as soon as I saw that I knew there was no way I could pass such a deal up. Guess not all Black Friday sales are a complete sham. Amazon.com has it for $41.99 and Costco has it for $34.99 as of now.
I agree; this is probably one of the best DVD collections I've ever purchased. 20th Century Fox would be fools to release another Alien collection.

I refuse to acknowledge the other two were ever made.

Hmm, I think Alien 3 is underrated. There are some elements of the plot I don't like but the direction is great and I like the gloomy atmosphere of the film. Alien Resurrection is okay. That's probably the weakest of the series. It just feels too removed from the series. By itself, the movie isn't too bad. As part of the Alien franchise, it's quite weak.

Blade Runner ~ the new box set is heaven in a box. For the first time you can actually see the detail in the backgrounds. The dvd release of the 2007.

Just received and watched a couple of the versions in the new Blade Runner boxed set (sans unicorn in the UK :( ). This is one of my all time favourite films and stands up well after 25 years.... but... Ridley Scott blows the gaff in the commentry and (a) explains the unicorn and (b) says if he thinks Deckard is a replicant or not.

I've just ordered Der letze Mann (FW Murnau 1924) and Frau im Mond (Fritz Lang, 1929) in an Amazon double deal.

Just received and watched a couple of the versions in the new Blade Runner boxed set (sans unicorn in the UK :( ). This is one of my all time favourite films and stands up well after 25 years.... but... Ridley Scott blows the gaff in the commentry and (a) explains the unicorn and (b) says if he thinks Deckard is a replicant or not.
I'm pretty sure he's said that in previous interviews since the '92 Director's cut. The documentaries on this collection maybe the most thorough examination of a film I've ever seen.

I've been meaning to respond to this and just kept forgetting about it.
I agree; (Alien Quadrilogy) is probably one of the best DVD collections I've ever purchased. 20th Century Fox would be fools to release another Alien collection.
At least this on this side of the pond, it's now been replaced by a 4-DVD set that only has the movies, without any bonus material. Booo, says I.

Hmm, I think Alien 3 is underrated. There are some elements of the plot I don't like but the direction is great and I like the gloomy atmosphere of the film. Alien Resurrection is okay. That's probably the weakest of the series. It just feels too removed from the series. By itself, the movie isn't too bad. As part of the Alien franchise, it's quite weak.
I'll gladly defend both the third and the fourth movie. The thing to understand about Alien3 is that it's unfinished - there isn't a director's cut for the simple reason that Fincher refused to have anything to do with it after they stopped filming. All of the Aliens movies were dogged by in-fights between studio, the director, the writer and the cast, but this really takes the cake. The original idea (you'll get the gist of it if you watch the bonus material) could well have been one of the most ambitious sf movies ever made - Dante meets Terminator - but it kept getting re-written so often that Fincher was apparently often directing from hand-written scripts that had been completely changed just hours before. According to one person on the bonus material (I forget who), they didn't so much wrap up the movie as simply stop filming when everyone was sick of it. The fact that they still managed to piece it together into a pretty damn coherent, grim and interesting story (and the longer version is the one to watch) is quite a feat; visually it's possibly the most appealing of all four, and it takes Ripley to a pretty logical conclusion.

I like Alien:Resurrection not only because it's (mostly) a Joss Whedon script that must have given him the seed for Firefly, but also because it does the only thing that remained to do with the story after they’d done horror, action, and philosophical thriller; they turn it around and subvert the story, making fun of the clichés while still trying to find an original – and serious – story to tell; the usual Nietzsche angle, Ripley has fought monsters too long to not be a monster herself. The main problem is that both Jeunet and Whedon are people with ideas and a sense of humour, but not the same ideas and sense of humour, making for a pretty weird feel... and unfortunately, of course, they throw it all away in the last 10-15 minutes, which really are bad. Up until then, it's a fine effort (and certainly light years better than the ridiculous Alien vs Predator).

$5 - $5.50 at Target

So, we got:
Black Sheep (Chris Farley)
Total Recall
Pokemon The First Movie (don't ask)
The Witches of Eastwick

Who Can Kill a Child? ~ an amazing Spanish horror film from the early 70's. A vacationing couple visit a remote island off the coast of Spain to find that the children have murdered all the adults. Ominous and suspenseful with a great ending. Even more incredible is that the whole thing is shot under a blazing sun. This has become one of my fave 70's horror flicks.

Thanks for the heads-up; I just watched this, and while it wears its influences a little on its sleeve - The Birds, Night of the Living Dead - it really is a great, mean little horror flick with good pacing, a well thought out theme and some really shocking scenes. (They keep SMILING. It's a game. And that opening...) What's the DVD like, any extras?

Glad you liked it! The dvd has a short interview with the director, where he reveals that Anthony Hopkins was slated to play the male lead but backed out at the last minute. He talks about the atrocity footage at the beginning as well. He seemed proud of his film.

Back