• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recipes

Robert

I do much of the cooking at my house, and I’m always looking for something new or different to serve and I was wondering if there are others that would be interested in sharing recipes. Taking advantage of our global community, I would be especially interested in hearing about specialties from your corner of the world. I would appreciate any recipes that you would like to share.

I have already received one very good suggestion from saliotthomas found here: http://www.bookandreader.com/forums...oposal-how-hobbies-subsection.html#post257908.

I would appreciate any ideas that you care to share.

Crab Dip

3/4 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup chopped red pepper
3/4 cup chopped celery

500g imitation crab meat or buy the real stuff. just make sure it's cleaned from any small shells .
If you get the imitation, you have to chop it up finely.
3 pkgs of 250g original cream cheese.

Blend all ingredients well and empty in a baking dish,pie plate etc.

sprinkle chopped nuts over it and some paprika.

Bake it at 350 for 10-15 min.

Serve with crackers.

If you want any Greek recipes let me know.:)

The crab dip sounds good.

I would like a greek recipe or two, but I don't know enough about greek food to know what to ask for. Is there something simple to start with?

I do simple, and fast. Have you tried anything Greek?

Like, tiropita
pastitsio
mousaka
mpakalao(cod)
skordalia
tzatziki

Do Gyros count?

It's possible that we had something when I was active duty, but if we didn't know what it was we probably called it mystery meat.

Do Gyros count?

It's possible that we had something when I was active duty, but if we didn't know what it was we probably called it mystery meat.

Well Robert, we do eat ALL parts of the lamb (brain, eyes, tongue(my fave) and so on:lol:
I will go through my recipes and find some things for you to try out.

Well Robert, we do eat ALL parts of the lamb (brain, eyes, tongue(my fave) and so on:lol:
I will go through my recipes and find some things for you to try out.

I've never had brain. Is it high in cholesterol? ;)

Here's a favorite of all the abc clan:

Kung Pao Chicken
50 min | 40 min prep

SERVES 6 -8 </SPAN>
  • 2 large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • salt
  • 1/4 cup black bean sauce
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chili paste with garlic
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry or
  • shao-hsing wine
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 8 cloves garlic, peeled and flattened but not chopped
  • 2 cups peanut oil or
  • vegetable oil or
  • corn oil
  • 3/4 cup raw shelled and hulled fresh unsalted peanuts
  • 16-21 dried hot red chili peppers, cut in half
  1. Dice chicken into 3/4" cubes and combine with egg white, cornstarch and salt.
  2. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  3. Combine next ingredients through garlic and set aside.
  4. Heat oil in wok and when it is almost boiling hot but not smoking, turn heat off and add peanuts in a wire sieve so that it and the peanuts inside can be easily removed.
  5. When peanuts turn golden remove from oil.
  6. They will continue to cook from retained heat after being removed.
  7. Don't burn them, they cook very quickly.
  8. Turn heat back on and when oil is hot add chicken mixture.
  9. Cook about 45 seconds until chicken is opaque but not browned.
  10. Remove and drain the chicken on paper toweling.
  11. Pour off all but 2 T of the oil from the wok.
  12. Add peppers and cook about 15 seconds, they should be dark.
  13. Add sauce and chicken and cook about 1 minute more.
  14. Serve garnished with the peanuts
Go to Recipezaar to adjust servings and amounts. Understand, you don't have to use as many peppers as called for. When I multiply it for '36-40' servings, I still never add more than 16-20 peppers. (the reason for the astriks is because the serving sizes seem tiny, and I keep trying to make enough to have leftovers, and my crew keeps eating it til its gone-I've never tried to feed 36 individuals here:lol:) But they DO love this dish, and I get requests now and then when they need a fix.

Oh, and sometimes I'll cheat and use unsalted roasted peanuts, if I can't find the raw nuts or am pressed for time...but everyone says, "Aw!"

That looks great, abecedarian!

I've been meaning to buy a wok. I don't know if they make one that will work well with my ceramic cooktop?

That looks great, abecedarian!

I've been meaning to buy a wok. I don't know if they make one that will work well with my ceramic cooktop?

While a wok is nice, I made this years before we aquired a wok at a garage sale. The main reason I use it now is because I use a french fry basket, a relic from a long-dead crockpot/fryer/ popcorn popper..it makes it sooo much easier to contain and remove the chicken...

Oh, and before I forget: Be sure to know about food allergies when serving this dish. Ask me how I know... I now serve the peanuts on the side, instead of mixing them in before serving to a guest. I also use regular cooking oil instead of peanut...:whistling:

Oh, and before I forget: Be sure to know about food allergies when serving this dish. Ask me how I know... I now serve the peanuts on the side, instead of mixing them in before serving to a guest. I also use regular cooking oil instead of peanut...:whistling:

YOU KILLED SOMEONE?!?? :eek:

YOU KILLED SOMEONE?!?? :eek:

I could have..that's what was so scary. The first time we made this for company I mixed it all up and served it on her plate...after a bite, she asked if it had peanuts in it.
Sidenote: Because of this incident and my own family's background with allergies, I always ask about food allergies when I arrange meals for people in our church or when new people come over here...Live, learn and pass it on~

A woman I work with killed someone this way (accidentally of course). She didn't know he had a nut allergy and she served fudge brownies with nuts to her best friend's husband! Can you imagine?!

Creme Brulee French Toast - YUMMY!!

:star5:

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
an 8- to 9-inch round loaf country-style bread
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
1/4 teaspoon salt
In a small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth and pour into a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Cut six 1-inch thick slices from center portion of bread, reserving ends for another use, and trim crusts. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.
In a bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.

Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes.

Serve hot French toast immediately.

I could have..that's what was so scary. The first time we made this for company I mixed it all up and served it on her plate...after a bite, she asked if it had peanuts in it.
Sidenote: Because of this incident and my own family's background with allergies, I always ask about food allergies when I arrange meals for people in our church or when new people come over here...Live, learn and pass it on~

Live, learn and pass it on is a good rule to live by.

I've only known three people and had an allergy to nuts so it's not something I would likely think about. A little reminder now and then is a good thing. :)

I got a five start approval for tonights meal.

Honey baked spiral cut ham, potato salad, and macaroni salad, with fresh strawberries and a very nice Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.

:star5:

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
an 8- to 9-inch round loaf country-style bread
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
1/4 teaspoon salt
In a small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth and pour into a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Cut six 1-inch thick slices from center portion of bread, reserving ends for another use, and trim crusts. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.
In a bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.

Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes.

Serve hot French toast immediately.

I don't know what it means, but I didn't know what Grand Marnier is. Another reason to be thankful for the internet.

The great thing about this recipe is that I can prepare it ahead of time. I can see serving this with a good cup of coffee and some fresh melon.

Here's another old favorite:

Cola Cake

SERVES 8
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup butter or
  • margarine
  • 1 cup Coke or
  • Pepsi
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
  1. Beat all but eggs and marshmallows for two minutes.
  2. Add eggs and beat two minutes more. Stir in marshmallows.
  3. Bake in 9 X 13 pan for 35 minutes.
  4. FROSTING: 1/2 cup butter or margarine 3 tablespoon cocoa 1 pound powdered sugar 1/3 cup Coke or Pepsi 1 cup chopped nuts Mix butter, cocoa, sugar and Coke well together and add chopped nuts.
  5. Pour over hot cake.

Cheesy Spinach Pasta Casserole

This stuff is one of my families favorites. Great as left-overs too.

INGREDIENTS
1 (12 ounce) package medium seashell pasta
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 (26 ounce) jars tomato basil pasta sauce
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (8 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain. Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan, and cook the spinach 4 to 6 minutes, until tender.
Place the cooked pasta in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and oil. Toss the pasta with the cooked spinach, egg mixture, and bread crumbs.
Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with 1/3 of the pasta sauce. Pour half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish, and cover with another 1/3 of the pasta sauce. Sprinkle with half of the Cheddar cheese and half of the mozzarella. Layer with remaining pasta mixture, and top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the rest of the Cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.

Back