• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recipes

You make your own pasta?
Yes, I do. :) But that's only working with a pasta machine, that thing for rolling the dough.

aimg295.imageshack.us_img295_6003_51pcw2edrclss500ye1.jpg

But the pasta from the grocery store will work as well. :)

I'll translate the recipe and post it. The only thing you'll need is a blender or food processor for the pesto mix. :)

I've never seen a pasta machine. I've seen pasta made on television, but in involved a lot of stretching of the dough.

Sleepy, since you have the pasta machine you should make Diples.:)

Cougette patties(any kind of zucchini, pumpkin etc.)

5 Courgettes, reasonably large.(you can also use pumpkin)
1 medium onion
1/2 cup breadcrumbs, finely ground
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1 large green pepper
1 red pepper
2 cups grated carrots
A generous chunk of feta cheese(optional)
Parsley, fresh and chopped, salt and pepper. Don’t forget that the feta is salty too.

Everything grated and chopped in small pieces.

Mix all together and make into patties . Fry on both sides until brownish color.

(You can bake them also)

Basic Pasta Dough, app. 1 lbs

3 1/2 - 4 cups unbleached all-purpouse flour
4-5 large eggs
1/2 extra-virgin olive oil

Mount the flour on a nonstick cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs + olive oil. Beat the eggs and olive oil with a fork and begin to incorporate the flour from the inner rim of the well.

It will look messy in the beginning and it is supposed to look like that. When half of the flour is incorporated you have to begin kneading the dough with both hands. Don't be gentle. The better you knead the better the dough.
Once the dough is a mass clean the board and begin kneading on the clean, lightly floured board. I usually knead for up to six minutes. The dough is ready when elastic and a little sticky. Wrap it in plastic and let it rest for 30 minutes. Room temperature or fridge, either way is alright. I usually put it in the fridge because when I'm making dough I'm making lots of it. LOL

Pesto Sauce:
2 cups basil leaves
1 (or however much you like, I usually take 3) garlic clove
pinch of sea salt
1/2 grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
3 tablespoons grated Pecorino cheese (for this one you can take another cheese, f. e. Bel Gioioso Romano)
1 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil

(In addition to the cheese: I wouldn't exchange the Parmigiano with another cheese because I figured the cheesy taste and smell is the best with this one. It's not cheap because it comes, like the Bel Gioioso Romano in larger pieces but you can freeze what's left over. I usually portion the cheese and put it away into the freezer.)

Put basil, garlic and salt into blender or food processor and process to paste. Add Cheese and drizzle in olive oil. Leave in the blender.
Pretty green and ready.

Balsamella:
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly greated nutmeg

Take a medium saucepan, heat the butter until melted. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook over low-medium heat until light golden brown. (depending on your stove I'd begin with a low temperature and go from there.) Takes 5-6 minutes

Meanwhile, in another pan, heat the milk until just about to boil. Add the milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continously until smooth. Bring to boil and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt and nutmeg.

Mix 2 cups of Balsamella and 1 cup of pesto sauce in the blender

The Filling:
The filling is completely up to you and depends on the size of the gratin dish you use. I usually take 97% ground beef, onions, the green of spring onions, garlic, salt pepper, and precook everything in a pan.
First glazing the onions and garlic, adding the meat and spring onions and seasoning.

Butter the gratin dish and place the pasta on the bottom until it's covered. In case you decide to use your fresh, rolled pasta you need to cook first (1 min) before placing it into the dish. When using bought, dry pasta you don't have to cook it but expect a longer time in the oven.

Depening on how high you want your lasagna and how much layers of pasta are desired, you can lay out your meat mix. On each layer of meat top a bit of the pesto mixture. I usually drizzle a bit of cheese on each layer. I usually have 4 layers of pasta and four layers of meat-mix.

You should finish the lasagna with a layer of pasta, put pesto mixture on top, sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese.

Put into preheated (400) oven. Fresh pasta is ready in 20-25 minutes. Dry pasta needs longer and a lower temperature, around 380. You don't want to burn the top. Calculate 50-60 minutes for that.

When finished, let it settle for around 5-10m minutes before you place the lasagna on a plate.

That should be all.

All in all the time preparing the lasagna itself takes about 30 minutes. The fresh dough takes some more time. Kneading, rolling etc. at least 1 hour. Don't try to roll out the pasta without a pasta machine. You can't get it rolled out as thin as it needs to be. The cooked piece of pasta will be thicker than the piece you rolled out. :D

I hope that was understandable. I had to look up some words in my dictionary. :flowers:

Look at this. :) YouTube - The real emilian fresh pasta - Part 2: Rolling sheets
This guy puts a lot of effort into the rolling.

That looks like a lot of work. I don't like the design of his machine because of the way the pasta comes out underneath the machine. It wouldn't be difficult to design it so the pasta feeds out in front. Your machine looks like it would be much better.

So is it worth all the effort? Is fresh pasta that much better then what we get at the supermarket?

For my husband and me it definitely is. Not only in taste but also in ingredients.
Also, I make the dough, roll it out and use the machine to produce tagliatelle, fettuchine. I hang them over a rack and let it dry there. In my opinion you can't compare the taste with the packages from the supermarket.

In my flat I tend to be the one to do the baking while my flatmate prefers to do most of the cooking himself. And most of our meals don't really follow any set recipes, just varying quantities of vegetables and carbs with herbs, spices, oils and sauces thrown about over them in lots of combinations. We tend to make a lot of pasta with vegetables cooked in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, with or without pesto, and a lot of different taco dishes (my flatmate is an American and vegetarian, so used to very different foods than I am). I tend to like making new things I come across online, such as this Garden Macaroni and Cheese, which is rather nice.

In my flat I tend to be the one to do the baking while my flatmate prefers to do most of the cooking himself. And most of our meals don't really follow any set recipes, just varying quantities of vegetables and carbs with herbs, spices, oils and sauces thrown about over them in lots of combinations. We tend to make a lot of pasta with vegetables cooked in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, with or without pesto, and a lot of different taco dishes (my flatmate is an American and vegetarian, so used to very different foods than I am). I tend to like making new things I come across online, such as this Garden Macaroni and Cheese, which is rather nice.

The Garden Macaroni and Cheese is a good idea, although I might use vegetables different then what she used in her recipe.

Back