• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

recommendations for good Sci fi/fantasy books

baddoctor

i'm looking for something with good critical reviews and a fair bit of mainstream success. for sci fi, i'd like something that deals with the exploration of a new extraterrestrial world or investigating cosmic phenomena like Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space.

for fantasy, high fantasy or adventure themed quest fantasy would be nice, something similar to the Wheel of Time series

I'll give you something new. It's called Storm Front. It's about a wizard in modern day Chicago by the name of Harry Dresden. He takes the supernatural cases of Chicago PD. harry is also very funny and a huge smart-ass. The first book is called Storm Front,where he takes on a wizard who rips people hearts out with magic. It's a good horror/mystery/fantasy book.

i'd like something that deals with the exploration of a new extraterrestrial world or investigating cosmic phenomena like Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space.

Marrow by Robert Reed. The Algebraist by Iain M Banks mebbe. Ringworld by Larry Niven definitely.

Coyote series by Allen Steele (should be read in order of publication)
Engines of God series by Jack McDevitt (my favorites were Deep Six, Chindi and Omega and they all deal with cosmic phenomena; these stories don't necessarily need to be read in any particular order)
Mid-Flinx by Alan Dean Foster
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement

fantasy

Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

For fantasy try Steven Erikson's Malazon Book of the Fallen.

I've only read the first book and it's quite good. Just so many books I wanna read and not enough time.

I just began reading the very first book in the George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. So far the read is very good. You might want to check it out.

For fantasy try Steven Erikson's Malazon Book of the Fallen.

I've only read the first book and it's quite good. Just so many books I wanna read and not enough time.

I read the first book and thought it was awesome, totally blew me away to be honest. Really epic, hardcore, brutal, gritty and emotional fantasy.

Then I bought the next four books. I couldn't even make it half way through the second book though, it was so badly written in parts it was near impossible to follow what was going on... some of it was fine, even enjoyable, but some of it was just eugh...

I intend to return one day to the second book, and then hopefully the remainder of the others, but not for a long while...

i'm looking for something with good critical reviews and a fair bit of mainstream success. for sci fi, i'd like something that deals with the exploration of a new extraterrestrial world or investigating cosmic phenomena like Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space.

for fantasy, high fantasy or adventure themed quest fantasy would be nice, something similar to the Wheel of Time series

Iain M Banks: Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, Use of Weapons, Feersum Endjinn, Look to Windward, The Algebraist.

Joe Abercrombie: The Blade Itself trilogy (really enjoyable)

Back