• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Regular Kindle or Kindle Fire??

MsBlueEyzz

I am trying to decide which one to ask for as a gift for Valentine's Day ha ha I think I am leaning towards the Kindle Fire so I can read in bed without a light on. Of course, also because it has some great features beyond reading :)
Any thoughts???

I knew I wouldn't be watching movies on that little bitty screen, so I chose the Kindle Touch. As a reader, it is just fine; if you want to browse the net it is not so fine. You CAN get around, but it you'll soon toss it aside and go fire up your PC. I get tired of having to log myself back into facebook and my favorite message boards. Sometimes it keeps me logged in, sometimes not. The Fire is better for surfing, I hear.

The other reason I was leaning towards the Fire is because it has the backlight so I can read without a light on at night. I don't know about watching movies, but I do have a netbook now so I am used to a small screen ha ha

The "official" Kindle cover has an integrated light with it. It's pretty friggin' awesome.

I've followed Kindle versus Kindle Fire threads on other forums and it's important to note that the Fire is locked down to the Amazon App store. If that doesn't bother you and you have paid Amazon prime, then go for the Fire. Because free TV show and movie streaming.

Which kindle do you have that had the integrated light? I think overall the regular Kindle may be the way to go after all :)
Which kindle do you have?? I am very interested in this integrated light.

That is what I have thought of too..that the glare is annoying. Just deciding what to do now. I mean I have a laptop so I don't need the internet access :)

I'd definitely go for the dedicated eink reader as it will prevent eye strain. Also, whereas the eink Kindle is several iterations/generations in, the Fire is not, and will likely get much better down the line, possibly when the other services/features on it are more refined too.

Another vote for the regular Kindle and a lighted cover if you don't want to use your bedside lamp. I have used the Kindle app on both my laptop and my phone and find the backlight tires my eyes much faster than the Kindle eink does.

Another vote for the regular Kindle and a lighted cover if you don't want to use your bedside lamp. I have used the Kindle app on both my laptop and my phone and find the backlight tires my eyes much faster than the Kindle eink does.

Listen to this lovely lady.

I've been thinking about getting a regular Kindle myself because there are some books I would get on Kindle. I don't need fancy extras, I just want something to read with.

I have spoken to a few people that have regular kindles and there are still options I had to take into consideration....Do I want a touch screen? Do I want the keyboard? Do I want 3G?
For my needs I am going with the basic kindle with out those bells and whistles :)

I prefer my Kindle Keyboard to the touch. I had a heck of a time trying to get it working. Mine is the WiFi version, and I've never noticed that I required a 3G connection. Most places I go have WiFi and if I'm desperate, I can use my phone as a hotspot. It isn't worth the extra money.

I am going to get the basic on that is $79 at this point. This is all new to me, so we shall see how this all works out :) I haven't had good luck with touch phones, so I am afraid of the Kindle touch at this point ha ha

I am not a fan of touch screens at this point because they really need to develop the technology more on certain devices.
The Kindle Fire is okay from what I have heard it is just not good to read from though. It is too much of a strain on the eyes.

Back