• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Religious Literature (Sacred Texts). I need some recommendations.

Haethurn

I am trying to obtain a collection of holy books from all of the various religions of the world.

I have a fine leather-bound copy of The Holy Bible (KJV) and a nice leather-bound Holy Qu'ran translated by a fellow named Nooruddin. I also ordered a copy of The Bhagavad Gita as translated by Swami Nikhilananda.

I am looking for good translations, in hardcover, of the Upanishads, Dhammapada, Avesta, and basically any other sacred texts that I have missed.

My favorite publisher is Penguin Classics; I just love the covers of all of their books, and I am sure that their translations are superb. However, it pains me to see that all of the Penguin Classics books on Amazon.com are only available in paperback.

I have sworn never to order a paperback.

Can anyone tell me

1) Why I am having trouble finding Penguin Classics hardcovers? (I know they exist because my school library has them)

2) What are some good translations (hardcover) of the aforementioned sacred texts?

3) What sacred texts I have missed?

Thanks in advance.

Penguin classics hardcovers are probably "library editions." Same size, same interior paper, but hardcovers. Not readily available to anyone but libraries and schools.

You're missing the Tao Te Ching, Annals of Confucious, The Rig Veda (which may cover the same ground as some of the other Hindu texts, not sure.)

I also find Christian Apocrypha interesting. I have an edition called "The Other Bible", it's sometimes called "Gnostic Writings" or from the Dead Sea Scrolls.

My editions are from QPB, the quality paperback book club. So unfortunately not hardcover, though nice editions and came as a very inexpensive set. They are tied into some of the other book clubs, so they may have hardcover editions out there through another one of their clubs. At any rate, they are a good club, lots of value, good, open-minded editorial choices, and have lots of interesting sets they've put together.

Originally posted by Ashlea
Penguin classics hardcovers are probably "library editions." Same size, same interior paper, but hardcovers. Not readily available to anyone but libraries and schools.

You're missing the Tao Te Ching, Annals of Confucious, The Rig Veda (which may cover the same ground as some of the other Hindu texts, not sure.)

I also find Christian Apocrypha interesting. I have an edition called "The Other Bible", it's sometimes called "Gnostic Writings" or from the Dead Sea Scrolls.

My editions are from QPB, the quality paperback book club. So unfortunately not hardcover, though nice editions and came as a very inexpensive set. They are tied into some of the other book clubs, so they may have hardcover editions out there through another one of their clubs. At any rate, they are a good club, lots of value, good, open-minded editorial choices, and have lots of interesting sets they've put together.

Is there any way that I can get those hardcovers without being affiliated in any way with a library or school?

Why is the Avesta so hard to find? I can't find a complete Avesta anywhere. I know there are still Zoroastrians, so there have to be some Avestas available somewhere.

You've missed the Satanic Bible. ;)

I'd really be interested in all these religions and their scriptures, if it wasn't for the fact that it would just take me too bloody long to finish reading all of them... I can't even get through the Bible!

You might see if amazon has library editions listed, or you can call penguin direct? Also a possibility of finding them used. If you know a friendly librarian, they may help you.

Originally posted by Ashlea
You might see if amazon has library editions listed, or you can call penguin direct? Also a possibility of finding them used. If you know a friendly librarian, they may help you.

Friendly librarian? I'm not so sure we have any of those around here.

I pre-ordered a used copy, but I doubt anything will come out of it. As of right now nobody is selling a used copy of a Penguins Classics Upanishads in hardcover.

I don't think calling penguin direct will help. I looked at their website and it doesn't look like they're selling Upanishads in hardcover anymore.

Is there any way that I can get those hardcovers without being affiliated in any way with a library or school?

Why is the Avesta so hard to find? I can't find a complete Avesta anywhere. I know there are still Zoroastrians, so there have to be some Avestas available somewhere.

I know it all.

For a suggestion, Book of Mormons. The free ones given out by the bikers are unfortunately paperbacks. I'm sure there are hardcovers though.

Actually, Book of Mormons come in all shapes, sizes, languages, and colors. And hardback... If you want a really nice copy for a collection try here.

Back