• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reporting from Lebanon

Samerron

Reporting from Lebanon

For all the people who are reading his, I would like to share the experience I’m passing through while Lebanon (my country) is being attacked. Well,we are in a state of war. I guess many of you have heard the news and have some knowledge of what is happening here. Here’s some information to have an idea of the situation:

Thursday's explosion of violence, one day after Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers in northern Israel, was the worst fighting between Israel and its Lebanon-based rivals in more than a decade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
BEIRUT: Israel carried out its most extensive attacks on Lebanon in at least a decade on Thursday, clamping a tight air and sea blockade and carrying out devastating air strikes in different parts of the country that killed at least 50 civilians a day after Hizbullah captured two Israeli soldiers. The Lebanese resistance group fired at least 80 rockets at around 20 northern Israeli towns, killing two and sending at least 43 people to hospital, many for "shock."

Israeli officials said Hizbullah also launched rockets at Haifa, Israel's third-largest city, which was considered as a "major, major escalation" by Israel's ambassador to the US.

Hizbullah denied having fired rockets at the Israeli seaport, but had earlier threatened to strike Haifa if Beirut or its southern suburbs were hit.

Israel intends to "break" Hizbullah, Defense Minister Amir Peretz announced late Thursday after at least one rocket landed in Haifa.

Israel, which has not ruled out ground operations in Lebanon, had warned its northern neighbor to evacuate all residents from the southern suburb area where Hizbullah's leader, Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah is believed to live.

Earlier in the day, Israel's justice minister suggested that Nasrallah was a target for assassination and said Hizbullah would be struck "wherever its members gather."

Meanwhile, Israeli Justice Minister Haim Ramon said Hizbullah had nowhere to hide.

"Hizbullah is a target wherever it is located in Lebanon - in Tripoli, in Beirut, in every place it is a target," he said.

And Israel's army chief, Dan Halutz, refused to rule out any targets in Lebanon from attack, saying the military was prepared to continue its offensive for as long as necessary.

"Nothing is safe. It is as simple as that," he said. "Our field of action is very large and our actions diverse. We have the green light from the government."
http://www.dailystar.com.lb
While I’m writing this, Israeli jet fighters are flying above Beirut, the capital of Beirut. (Just to know, Lebanon have a very weak army and doesn’t have any jet fighters). God help us and save this Land...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Samerron. Our small problems shrink into insignificance compared to what you are going through. Please keep safe.

Thank you for your prayers and concern. As you can see this kind of a tension between Lebanon and Israel has been here since the creation of the Israeli State in 1948. Now a major boom in this conflict and Lebanon is no near equal in military forces. Hizbullah is our resistance militia for Lebanon and the region. Our airport and seaports and just being hit.

01.super.burning.afp.gi.jpg

Here's a good source for words of the current situation: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5176582.stm

I can't imagine how awful it must be to be in the midst of a war zone. Be assured you and your countrymen are in my prayers.

I will keep you updated as long as there is electricity and internet connection. I would like to hear what do you think of the situation?

Sane people --like you, samerron--deserve to live in peace. In a war that has no real beginning or end, where can you lay the blame? The only hope is fostering peace through counsel and personal restraint.

I think it's part of some cultures to identify themselves as the permanently and irreparably aggrieved--but the truth is that every human suffers loss and pain, and every culture had some history of mistreatment.

I'm forever glad that the IRA laid down their arms--and I think it's a subject ripe for study. What drove them to peace after such a long time of war?

Samerron,
I would like to hear what do you think of the situation?
It is difficult to say Samerron, as we've already discussed, I think the general feeling is quite critical of Israel for taking the action that they have. On the other hand the last I heard, Saudi Arabia were accusing Hizbollah of irresponsibility and saying that they should end the crisis.
If this is just about the two kidnapped soldiers then I think Israels actions are way overboard,the civilian risk is just too high, but there is probably more to it then that.

Novella,
The only hope is fostering peace through counsel and personal restraint.
Yes, I completely agree, but unfortunately that path is long and hard and few people are able to last the distance.

I'm forever glad that the IRA laid down their arms--and I think it's a subject ripe for study. What drove them to peace after such a long time of war?
It was a hard won peace, it took at least twenty years of peace talks and political dancing to make it come about. Why? Thats something i'd have to think over, although I do think that the weapons were dumped for political standing, fair trade really.

Samerron said:
While I’m writing this, Israeli jet fighters are flying above Beirut, the capital of Beirut. (Just to know, Lebanon have a very weak army and doesn’t have any jet fighters). God help us and save this Land...

I can't imagine how this feels.... my thoughts and prayers are with you, Samerron.

I've heard and read about that ..
mann!! lots of innocent people are being hurt.

I really wish no one more to be killed or injuried.

Samerron,
allah m3 libnan ..

Thoughts and prayers are with you. And please report back often...for the simple fact that we know you are safe:)

It is difficult to say Samerron, as we've already discussed, I think the general feeling is quite critical of Israel for taking the action that they have.

I don't doubt that is the case in Europe. In the states, the attitude is very pro-Israeli, hence why the U.S. has recently vetoed a resolution calling for an end to the attacks. A lot of it has to do with Israel being "God's chosen" nation essentially. A lot of it as well has to do with the six days war and the Yom Kippur offensive wehre Israel was attacked by it's neighbors. It is viewed here as being perhaps the rightful "fruits of victory" that the Israeli's control the Gaza Strip and the West Bank due to the incursion into their land and subsequent victory.

If this is just about the two kidnapped soldiers then I think Israels actions are way overboard,the civilian risk is just too high, but there is probably more to it then that.

Hezbollah is technically controlled by the Lebanese government and I believe Iran, who provides funding for their "activities.":eek: Hopefully one of the governments can get these guys to return the kidnapped soldiers that got all this started.

It was a hard won peace, it took at least twenty years of peace talks and political dancing to make it come about. Why? Thats something i'd have to think over, although I do think that the weapons were dumped for political standing, fair trade really.

In the mid-90's, Clinton had both sides talking. Maybe not agreeing, but there was no shooting when diplomacy was occuring. That all fell apart as Israel was essentially given the right to do as it saw fit. Diplomacy has taken a back seat to military expediency and chest-thumping patriotism. That is one of this administration's biggest failures.

Thank you all for your concerns and prayers. I can’t see the situation getting better at all. Israeli forces are planning on continuing their attacks as they are seizing Lebanon. Most of the major bridges are down with air strikes, the airport is hit more than once and all the seaports are monitored by war ships. Hizbullah are the target, but entire Lebanon is under attack. Citizens and the country’s infrastructure are awfully being striked.

Here’s the latest development:

The Israeli aircraft fired two more additional rockets into a runway at Beirut's international airport.

The airport had been shut after Israel bombed its runways a day before.

The Israeli army has been on a constant attack mode with the Southern Lebanon frontier, blasting the main Beirut-Damascus highway overnight, tightening an air, sea and land blockade of Lebanon, and bombed targets in Beirut's teeming Shi'ite Muslim suburbs, killing three people and wounding 40.

The death toll neared 60, which includes mostly civilians, since Israel attacked Lebanon.

Also, the Israeli army has claimed that the Hezbollah had fired over 130 missiles into Israel in the last 48 hours, killing 2 civilians and injuring over a 100. The army also said that it had been successful in bombing Hezbollah's main security compound in Southern Beirut.

KristoCat said:
Please stay safe, samerron. I hope very much that you and your family will come out of this ok.
Thank you Ruby and Kristo. The cities in Lebanon are isolated and it is dangerous to go on roads and highways, so we are stuck indoors and trying to minimize movement until we see what will develop in this situation. I'm currently in Beirut but my family is in Saida (City south of Lebanon). Today Hizbullah had surprized Israeli forces by striking a warship in the waters of Lebanon which has been shelling Beirut for the last two days (which I have been listening recently).

Reporting from Beirut, Lebanon.
Samerron.

"The World Cup gonna start now ... !! It's just a matter of hours. The opening ceremony has already started, I guess. I'm watching it !!

Can't you feel the spirit?? People from all around the globe are going to watching this world cup with passion and axiety !!
But in the end, it's just soccer (or football), isn't it?

You were so right Samerron that was just a game after all; this is serious. Take care and be safe, you, and your family.

Boat.

Here are some of the latest news:
r2543825127.jpg

BEIRUT, Lebanon - Hezbollah rammed an Israeli warship with an unmanned aircraft rigged with explosives Friday, setting it ablaze after Israeli warplanes smashed Lebanon's links to the world one by one and destroyed the headquarters of the Islamic guerrilla group's leader. The attack on the warship off Beirut's Mediterranean coast was the most dramatic incident on a violent day in the conflict that erupted suddenly Wednesday and appeared to be careening out of control despite pleas from world leaders for restraint on both sides.

Back