• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reporting from Lebanon

Samerron - what words can I say to express my horror at what is happening. Being an optimist I am constantly shocked at the way fellow humans treat other humanbeings. With the wonderful gift of communication we still resort to violence and unfounded hatred - a lack of acceptance. I too have been extremely worried as a very dear friend is in Lebanon with her two young daughters. She is visiting her family. Because the airport and exits have been bombed she too is stranded. They are having to stay indoors until they get a grasp of what is happening. They too have lost electricity and access to the internet.

So my thoughts and prayers go with you and your countrymen.

Take care and stay safe.

Dude... sorry I'm late. I've not been online for a while, but I saw the news, and naturally thought of you.

I'm happy to see you're well and good. All I want to say is I'm thinking of you, man, in this time of extreme adversity.

Stay safe!

ds

Looks as if Israel is giving Syria 72 hours to get Hezbollah to knock it off.

Hezbollah's provoking of Israel isn't coincidental according to Washington sources.

It is no coincidence that the Hizbullah operation comes at a time when the international community is working to impose sanctions on Iran due to its nuclear program and settle the score with Syria by establishing an international court to try those behind the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri,” the Pentagon source said.

Hizbollah have been planning for this for more than a year and Israel had their plan of attack from before, they have been waiting for the chance to hit Lebanon and Hizbollah as a reply that even if we (Israeli) left south of Lebanon, we are still here in the vacinity and we can.

Israel is not only aiming to get these two soldiers but they have bigger plans. It hints out that they want to hit the heart of Hizbullah plus they are trying to persuade and convince many of the Lebanese people that Hizbullah are destrying Lebanon and is not giving chance for Lebanon to be safe.

Keep talking, Samerron! We are all listening!

From what I understand its worse in the south of Lebanon, isnt it where your family is staying? Can you get intouch with them?

On TV over here we are told that Danes cannot get out of Lebanon, a few do try to get to Syria but the roads are not safe at all.

I must say I think its scary what is going on. It seems like no part is going to stop fire at the moment.

Yes, please do keep talking Samerron. I only hear from my friend in Lebanon sparodically. But at least the British Embassy have been keeping in contact with her. Although it will be a wrench when they are evacuated as she will be leaving her parents behind. Her husband returned to the UK a few weeks back while she stayed on for an extended visit with her family - and he is absolutely frantic. Her main worry is trying to keep her fears from her two young daughters. How do you explain to a five year old the madness that is going on.

Once again, our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Stay safe and I hope your country once again see peace before too long.

I hope you stay safe Samerron.

Today 8 Israelis were killed in an rocket barrage attack on Haifa, and I've personally seen bomb shelter preparations in Tel Aviv. According to the Israeli media, this is going to get even worse for Lebanon.

Does anyone know if the U.S. is planning to intervene? Or are we still caught up in the North Korea/S. Korea/Japan/China/Russia/etc. fiasco?

I have friends/relatives in the military, and so far they've heard nothing but talks/rumors of WWIII.

The only way to stop killing is to stop killing.

Pray for peace, vote for peace, work for peace, speak up for peace and do it every day. It's the only answer, and it's the responsiblity of us all. We've got to stop sending our children off to kill other people's children, and we've got to do it now.

Not informed but felt

StillILearn said:
The only way to stop killing is to stop killing.

I can only agree. But I have the very scary and sad feeling that if there will be a WWIII it will start somewhere in the middle east this time: which takes absolutely no blame whatsoever - in point of fact, buckets of blame everywhere - away from the "rest" of the world. This sucks dead rat. All the Swedish media reports is whether the Swedes get out alright. Be safe, stay alive, help each other, there's nothing I can say, I can't imagine.

And frankly, what constitutes WWIII? How many have to die? How many countries have to be involved? Middle East, Horn of Africa, Sri Lanka, AIDS victims in all of Africa... Oh, but I'm not bitter. Maybe when they start knocking down our front doors, we'll care :(

Thanks you all for your support, it helps. It’s war on Lebanon and we are the victims.
I'm very glad the internet connection is available and keeping me connected to you guys and happy to be here reading your posts. Thanks for asking about me and my family. I’m in Beirut while my family are stuck in Saida (43 Km south of Beirut) and we will be trying to leave the country soon, if the situation kept on worsening.

Flowerdk4 said:
From what I understand its worse in the south of Lebanon, isnt it where your family is staying? Can you get intouch with them?

I must say I think its scary what is going on. It seems like no part is going to stop fire at the moment.at

Well, I can’t see the situation is getting any better. The Israeli has a plan and I’m afraid of another invasion of South of Lebanon (The first invasion was in 1982) or another plan. What Israel’s plan in the South is to push Hizbullah as much to the North. They can’t annihilate Hizbullah, and I’m sure they can’t. Lebanon must always have a resistance force since it’s a weak country. After all, it’s an underdeveloped country. Another thing Hizbullah is much stronger than Hizbullah that was in year 2000 which obliged the Israeli to retreat from South of Lebanon.

sirmyk said:
Does anyone know if the U.S. is planning to intervene? Or are we still caught up in the North Korea/S. Korea/Japan/China/Russia/etc. fiasco?
If both players decided on pushing the war at some place it’s going to leak and that’s what I’m really afraid of! If this happened, I will lose hope and faith in my country... my country will be destroyed! :(
I hope someone will intervene, the US, the UN anybody who’s not pro-Israeli nor pro-Arab (although it’s scarce) who can put an end to the big brother that keeps on pushing the other players.

World War III? No guys, I don’t think so plus I don’t want this to happen in Lebanon or the Middle East! People want peace, politicians want power the world is a harsh place to live in!

I read in the Times today about concerns that Syria may get involved. The tone of the article was that this would escalate things. What are the thoughts there Samerron?

sirmyk said:

I have friends/relatives in the military, and so far they've heard nothing but talks/rumors of WWIII.

From what I understand, contacting Hezbollah isn't an easy task. I think they are trying to feel out the proper channels to try and steer things to a good result.

mrkgnao said:
And frankly, what constitutes WWIII? How many have to die? How many countries have to be involved? Middle East, Horn of Africa, Sri Lanka, AIDS victims in all of Africa... Oh, but I'm not bitter. Maybe when they start knocking down our front doors, we'll care :(

It doesn't help when Iran helps Hezbollah launch drone airplanes into Israeli ships, as well as Syrian backing of this group which started this whole recent fight with the kidnapping of Israeli soldiers. There comes a point where you decide others can't push you around. Israel has learned that nothing will appease their enemies. Leaving occupied zones, kicking out settlers, none of it is good enough for their enemies who still refuse to acknowledge Israel's right to exist. You'd think they would not mess with Israel given their humiliating loss in the six days war, not to mention the '82 Lebanese conflict where Syria lost 82 planes and Israel didn't lose one.
th_rofl.gif
That's o.k., I for one, will shed no tears for the regimes of Iran and Syria if and when Israel opens a can on 'em. I agree that Lebanon is a misguided target for Israel, though in an odd way, I can see why they are doing what they are doing.

SFG75 said:
th_rofl.gif
That's o.k., I for one, will shed no tears for the regimes of Iran and Syria if and when Israel opens a can on 'em.

When you are through rolling on the floor, you may wish to sober up and shed a tear or two for the human beings who are suffering; you have children of your own, I believe?

Samerron said:
Thanks you all for your support, it helps. It’s war on Lebanon and we are the victims.
I'm very glad the internet connection is available and keeping me connected to you guys and happy to be here reading your posts. Thanks for asking about me and my family. I’m in Beirut while my family are stuck in Saida (43 Km south of Beirut) and we will be trying to leave the country soon, if the situation kept on worsening.

I am so sad to hear this. That you and your family are forced to leave the country. Do you know where you will go ??

From what I have heard and understood, then Beirut should once have been a very modern and cool town. Sad that its now being bombed.

I am so sorry that you are now turning into a refugee. Please let us know how you and your family get on!

Take care

StillILearn said:
When you are through rolling on the floor, you may wish to sober up and shed a tear or two for the human beings who are suffering; you have children of your own, I believe?

Excellent point, conversely, do you let a power who lent special forces to an enemy, thus resulting in the damage of your warship and deaths of sailors? You are to tolerate that? :eek:

SFG75 said:
Excellent point, conversely, do you let a power who lent special forces to an enemy, thus resulting in the damage of your warship and deaths of sailors? You are to tolerate that? :eek:
Sometimes I feel you are incapable of expressing compassion for individuals outside the U.S. borders. Just because someone is from Lebanon, doesn't mean he or she supports (or is a part of) a terrorist organization within Lebanon (which you do not support).

Back