• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard Laymon

justgoofin

I searched for Richard Laymon and found one reference for In the Woods. I know I can't be the only Laymon fan here. I think my favorite of his books is The Traveling Vampire Show. I buy every book of his that I can find. Please tell me there are othe fans in this forum, maybe we can talk about some of our favorite books.

Runner up would have to be Night in the Lonesome October.

Talk to me Laymon fans. :D

I've only read Blood Games, but I was quite impressed with it. I never thought about why I hadn't read but just one of his books but after I did an internet search and saw the huge number of books he has written I'm quite surprised I've only read just the one. I'll have to make it a point to search for his books because obviously they're not sticking out to me. Have any of you had a chance to read Blood Games? I recommend it if you haven't.

I used to be a HUGE fan. I've read many of his books. I just got bored with his writing style. I've found his books in many used book shops. Try them.

tarablythe said:
I've only read Blood Games, but I was quite impressed with it. I never thought about why I hadn't read but just one of his books but after I did an internet search and saw the huge number of books he has written I'm quite surprised I've only read just the one. I'll have to make it a point to search for his books because obviously they're not sticking out to me. Have any of you had a chance to read Blood Games? I recommend it if you haven't.

Tara I have read Blood Games I liked it alot he has many more books in this style actually some of his older stuff is kind of hard to find since it was mostly released in the U.K. but Leisure Books is slowly starting to release them.

I got bored with his style too - never could finish The Stake. My favourite of his was Savage as it was quite a change for him.

I've read all of the stuff that Leisure has released and found them to range from great(The Traveling Vampire Show, In the Dark) to piss poor(Among the Missing). I've enjoyed more than I've disliked.

Well maybe that's why I have had trouble finding some of his books. Maybe I'll try the local used book store on Tuesday.

Think I'd echo what a lot of other people here have said, I used to be a fan but found he got repetitve (not to mention extremely misogynistic).
Savage was by far my favourite of his books (Jack the Ripper in the wild west - who could resist that!)

Oh well I thought there would be plenty Laymon fans in a book forum. I have yet to find anyone who writes quite the way he does. :confused:

I'm a big fan of Laymon. My favourites are The Stake, Night in the Lonesome October, The Travelling Vampire Show and his semi-autobiographical book on writing, A Writer's Tale. It was a shame he never received the recognition he deserved in the US while he was alive.

A relative of mine reccommended that I read Laymon when she found out I was King fan. I don't remember the name of the novel, it was about a bracelet...that's all I remember!

I don't remember enjoying his style of writing, but I think his story ideas are great. I stated to read Savage, but it lies on my shelf now like so many others.... :)

Amy_1984 said:
A relative of mine reccommended that I read Laymon when she found out I was King fan. I don't remember the name of the novel, it was about a bracelet...that's all I remember!

That would be Body Rides: When Neal rescues a woman from a vicious assault, she gives him a magic bracelet, which allows him to step inside other people to experience their feelings. But the woman's attacker is out for revenge, first on her, then Neal, and Neal must use the gift to look inside the would-be killer's head.

I started with The Cellar. It was enjoyable and unexpected. However, some of his books are way too silly. Kill...kill...rape. A fine example of that is in Ressurection Dreams.

I just finished Come Out Tonight and thought it was great. No new ground was broke but hey, that's part of the man's appeal. I've always thought that he was the literary equivalent of a teen slasher movie and sometimes that's not a bad thing. He's got a new hardback coming this fall, Into the Fire and the paperback of The Lake is coming out in September.

lenny nero said:
He's got a new hardback coming this fall, Into the Fire and the paperback of The Lake is coming out in September.

Sounds like his estate is probably just trying to make some last bucks with whatever manuscript is lying around since Richard died in 2001. However, if he's still churning out books from six feet under then all power to him.

I have read three of his books 'The Cellar' 'Beast House' & 'Into The Woods' and although I enjoyed the story and the gory-ness, theres something about the way he writes his female characters that irks me.
IMO his women don't think like women in general LOL.

But he does have great stories :D

I discovered a love for Laymon when I picked up The Traveling Vampire Show. I've got a few more of his, but haven't got around to reading them yet. Umm, I think I have Body Rides, Come out Tonight, and Bite-which is the next one I'd read. I think he's a great storyteller.

I've read every single one of his books. Some of them twice. Night in the Lonesome October is definately my favourite though.

I finished them all a long time ago, then read 'The Lake' when it came out recently. I like reading him just cause he's so trashy and easy to get into. It always strikes me as slightly odd though how there is always a rape scene. Very often one involving underage girls or girls who look underage.

If you get through all his books and like that genre, try reading some Ed Gorman or Bentley Little. Some of them are really good. Not quiet as spooky and full of monsters but still an amusing read.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to pick up Night in the Lonesome October. I do have some Bentley Little and Ed Gorman books that I got this summer at some used books stores. So many books so little time :)
What did you think of Bite? I haven't read it yet so no spoiler, but I'd like your opinion.

Back