• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard Laymon

Island

I just joined the Book Forum, a few days ago. I saw a section - Book Search. Well, I've been searching for a particular book for a long time. I read it a long time ago, and few books since then have been as engrossing or as fun - and I wanted to re-read it. I thought the title was The Island - but kept coming up with zilcho. I posted it on the Book Search and that huge Laymon fan, Dorian Gray, came right up with it - it's called Island. I instantly went out to Borders and bought it, and 3 other Laymon books.
Reading his work is so much fun, takes such little effort, and is so spellbinding, that it feels like a guilty pleasure. I don't mind if a book takes me 30-40-50 pages to really get caught up, but this book Island does it from sentence 1. Not page 1 or paragraph 1 - sentence 1. I can't wait to get on the bus tonight so I can continue. I read it so long ago, it's like reading it for the first time. I only remember a few isolated plot points - which were enought for Dorian Gray to recogize it.
He's great. I intend to read everything he's written.

Tina said:
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to pick up Night in the Lonesome October. I do have some Bentley Little and Ed Gorman books that I got this summer at some used books stores. So many books so little time :)
What did you think of Bite? I haven't read it yet so no spoiler, but I'd like your opinion.

Bite.. That's the vampire one yes? Where right at the end... J/K. I liked it from what i can remember. I think my favourites are 'Night/Lonesome/October, Island, Travelling Vampire show and Funland. If there is any of those at your library I suggest you get them. they is other really good ones but I can't remember a lot of them.

The good thing with Laymon is though, if you like 1 of his books it a certainty that you'll like the rest. Oh... The Beast House Trilogy are REALLY good too!

DorianGray said:
The good thing with Laymon is though, if you like 1 of his books it a certainty that you'll like the rest.

I got bored of him very quickly. The only memorable book he wrote, in my opinion, was Savage.

Stewart said:
I got bored of him very quickly. The only memorable book he wrote, in my opinion, was Savage.

I suppose it can be like that. I couldn't read two of his books in a row. Most of what I read is really different to Laymon though. The last 4 books I read were,

Crime and Punishment,
Jane Eyre,
Pride and Predjudice
and Sense and Sensibility.

I just love Laymon cause you know what your going to get. He'f familiar and easy to get into. I suppose that can be boring for some though.

DorianGray said:
Bite.. That's the vampire one yes? Where right at the end... J/K. I liked it from what i can remember. I think my favourites are 'Night/Lonesome/October, Island, Travelling Vampire show and Funland. If there is any of those at your library I suggest you get them. they is other really good ones but I can't remember a lot of them.

The good thing with Laymon is though, if you like 1 of his books it a certainty that you'll like the rest. Oh... The Beast House Trilogy are REALLY good too!

Yes, Bite is the vampire one. I'm definately going to pick up Night in the Lonesome October. I don't remember seeing it at B&N though, I might have to do some searching. :)

Tina said:
Yes, Bite is the vampire one. I'm definately going to pick up Night in the Lonesome October. I don't remember seeing it at B&N though, I might have to do some searching. :)

In paperback it's a lurid bright orange colour so you can't miss it! Well, It is in the UK anyway. I'm not entirely sure about in the US.

I think i'll hang around on this thread for a while. It seems quite active. :D

In a way, I found Traveling Vampire Show to be very nostalgic. It was a coming of age story that had a horrific twist. I'm glad it was my first Laymon read. I don't think I've ever seen Funland either. The ones I see most commonly around here are Come out Tonight, Body Rides, Among the Missing, and Blood Games.

Tina said:
In a way, I found Traveling Vampire Show to be very nostalgic. It was a coming of age story that had a horrific twist. I'm glad it was my first Laymon read. I don't think I've ever seen Funland either. The ones I see most commonly around here are Come out Tonight, Body Rides, Among the Missing, and Blood Games.

Yes, you do tend to see the same ones in the shops always, and never the ones your looking for!

Yaaaaaaawn, I'm sleepy. Gotta go ya'll. See you next time!

Stewart I agree with what you've written, but I still can't help enjoying Laymon - I find it hard to explain why his work appeals so much to me.

I''ve just finished reading Endless Night and really really enjoyed it - I didn't see it mentioned on the thread so was wondering whether anyone else has read it/and what they thought of it.

Oh and just as an add on - Island was a great read.

I read Black Rain a few years ago, because it had a good premise. I don't remember the writing being that great, though.

Has anyone read Beware, by Laymon? I think it's about an invisible killer. Sounds kind of cliche, but I've gotten into the invisibility thing and want to read as many novels about it as possible.

I read a few of his books a while back, but only 1 stands out in my mind. It is about something happening to a woman in a university campus under a tunnel. I think this was the same book, where the main character takes to wandering the streets at night, and starts following a young girl, who goes into other peoples houses in the dead of night.

I agree with what was said before about his writing being misogynistic. I found a few of his books along the same lines as each other. Still enjoyable books though.

Blood Games

I read Island years ago - and re-read it recently. I enjoyed it quite a lot - although, I could have done without the brutality of the women at the end. None-the-less, Island was a great read. Now I have started Blood Games, and tell you the truth, I'm struggling with it. I'm kind of sick of the haunted house genre - it's been done so many times and better. I also agree with the poster above that says that Laymon's females don't think like females - not that I would know, being a male, but his females, at least in Blood Games, seem more like men with female names. Others above said they liked Blood Games. What do YOU think? I have no aversion to dumping a book in the first 100 pages if it doesn't grab me - I've read about 50.

RGame, yes Beware! is about an invisible psycho on the loose. I recall enjoying reading it, but expect the usual Laymon shenanigans.

Snowwhite I think your thinking of Night in the Lonesome October, though I don't recall the tunnel bit.

Libre, personally I thought Blood Games was one of his weakest. Granted all his work is kinda samey, and the writing is not brilliant but i really did enjoy works like Body Rides and Night in the Lonesome October. Blood Games just didn't hold my attention and i struggled to finish it.

Thanks, Gem. I've plodded on, read about 60 more pages, and I'm just pretty disappointed with it - but I guess I'll read on, as it is not unbearable, and I paid good money for it. I have 2 more after this one - Body Rides and In the Dark.

Gem said:
Snowwhite I think your thinking of Night in the Lonesome October, though I don't recall the tunnel bit.

If I remember right from memory, the cannibals ("trolls") in Night in the Lonesome October live in a tunnel under the road. It is a good book.

thanks Shaun, i think i remember - something to do with a bridge? i'll have to reread it i guess.

Lenny, I was looking up In the Dark as i wasn't certain if it was the one with librarian, anyway i came across the site, so for any laymon fans:

http://laymon.lostdestinations.com/

I hadn't known that he had so much work out there.

I just started reading Darkness, Tell Us. It's okay so far. I also picked up Night in the Lonesome October since I've heard so many good opinions.

I finally gave up on Blood Games, as it was terminally boring and I went back to sleeping on the express bus, which can't be a good thing.
So, I abandoned the poor girls in the haunted lodge, and started In The Dark. Now this one really has me hooked. Not that I believe a word of it, but it's entertaining as all hell and I don't have an inkling what is going to happen next. I'm back to being glued to a book on the bus!

Back