1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Scariest Book Ever?

Discussion in 'General Book Discussion' started by kasstorr, Jun 3, 2003.

1. taralu

taralu kickbox

I found Salem's Lot and The shining pretty scary reading. I think it all depends on your situation too e.g. alone in a big house in the middle of nowhere - I'd probably get the jitters reading Pride & Prejudice.

One book that did spook me was Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. I lived in a house that had a lot of glass and backed onto black nothingness after dark. I chose a bad time to start reading it, my husband was working away and I was alone in the house with a very young baby. It scared the bejesus out of me and I had to stop reading it. Every time the back security light came on during the night my heart almost stopped, for weeks I practically slept with the phone in my hand. I did eventually finish it a number of years later.

2. eyez0nme

eyez0nme New Member

I suggest all of you to read, "The Girl Next Door". Not even King can come close to this nightmare.

You won't sleep for days, I guarantee. Five at most.

3. savvyambrose

savvyambrose New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
    I read Jade Green when I was younger and it scared me for days. I couldn't sleep. It was morning and I was still paranoid about crazy severed hands crawling around.

I haven't read any horror since :p

4. ifpiper

ifpiper New Member

Salems' Lot

5. HermioneWeasley

HermioneWeasley Member

Currently Reading:
    Olympe de Cleves - Dumas
    i can't say i've read many scary books because i just don't know which ones to read. any recommendations for really scary books? More psychological scary than monster tearing your head of scary that is.

6. Peronel

Peronel New Member

Currently Reading:
    'Sense and Sensibility' - Jane Austen
    I haven't read any of his work, but I've heard Henry James can be quite 'freaky' in a mind-bendy fashion. Correct me if I'm wrong, people!

Ifpiper (hello! and welcome!), I'm the biggest if King fans, but I haven't been able to get through Salems Lot yet. Perhaps I'll spend the rest of the day reading it. I was quite disturbed by the dead dog in the early chapters.

7. ifpiper

ifpiper New Member

Hello to you too. I am also a big King fan (nice sig by the way), trust me about Salems' Lot, awesome book. Freaky ending.:eek:

8. jasmine99

jasmine99 New Member

Currently Reading:
    My Life - Bill Clinton
    The Stand - Stephen King
    I know this isn't supposed to be a really scary story as far as there being a "booger" that will get you, but I read it when I was a freshman in college, living in the dorm. While reading the first part of the book where the super flu is killing practically everybody it got very late, my roomate was "dead" asleep and I couldn't find anyone on my floor who was awake! I even walked down the hall to the communal bathroom and couldn't find a soul. I felt like I was the only person left alive... VERY creepy!

Also Night Shift by S. King, caused me (from the age of 12) to keep one eye open and on my closet door while I slept . :eek:

9. -Carlos-

-Carlos- New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King
    I have not read it myself but I understand that The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum is pretty scary.

awww.fantasticfiction.co.uk_images_n0_n2786.jpg

10. Peronel

Peronel New Member

Currently Reading:
    'Sense and Sensibility' - Jane Austen
    I did sit down for a few hours yesterday and continued 'Salems Lot. I was actually about halfway through already , which surprised me, as I hadn't remembered reading that much of it! Anyway, I'm thoroughly hooked now, and I had to sleep facing the door last night (something I've been trying to get out of the habit of doing).

Jasmine, I found The Stand very freaky as well. My favourite parts of the novel were always when the effects on society at large were being discussed i.e.
    how the flu was travelling, the riots and military responses, the takeover of the radio station.
    I think you can feel the isolation that the characters themselves feel, and that was the scary part for me.

11. jennifer1975

jennifer1975 New Member

Currently Reading:
    I am not reading anything at the moment.

He took aspirin because he was in pain all of the time. Several broken bones caused him incredible pain in his legs. That is why he took the aspirin.

12. jasmine99

jasmine99 New Member

Currently Reading:
    My Life - Bill Clinton
    Yes, that's what I always liked about King's books. He pulled you in and you really were living in the story with the characters when the creepy stuff started to come down. LOVE IT!

13. Vespertilio91

Vespertilio91 New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Scent of Shadows: The First Sign of the Zodiac
    I've never truly found a book that really puts true fear into me. Anything I've read either bores me or is just gorey, which isn't scary, just disgusting.

14. majormajor

majormajor New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Brothers Karmazov
    Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov - that is one book I will never read again!:eek:

15. agathafan

agathafan New Member

Currently Reading:
    'Outbreak' by Robin Cook
    According to me the most scariest stories are 'Lukoondo' by Edward Lucas White , 'The Horla' by Guy de Maupassant and a Bengali novel on Hindu Tantra practise 'Taranath Tantriker Golpo' (the stories of Taranath Tantriker) by Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay

16. steffee

steffee Active Member

Currently Reading:
    Nothing To Envy: Ordinary Lives In North Korea
    Scary? Possibly, a little. Hardly the "scariest book ever" though, I wouldn't say.

17. Tina

Tina Member

Currently Reading:
    The Husband by Dean Koontz
    I wish I could say I have one, but I've never been that scared while reading a horror novel. Someday maybe.

18. wihman

wihman New Member

Currently Reading:
    In cold blood - Truman Capote
    Watchers by Dean Koontz
    It's one of the worst books I have ever read. Absolutely

19. majormajor

majormajor New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Brothers Karmazov
    not horror in the true sense of the word, I know, but the content is just so disturbing

20. The Hitcher

The Hitcher New Member

You couldn't be any more right. This book will destroy you. I have never had a movie, book, song, poem, anything affect me the way this book did. I couldn't sleep. I felt sick. I felt angry. I was pacing around my house at 2am on a work night not knowing what to do.