1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Scariest Book Ever?

Discussion in 'General Book Discussion' started by kasstorr, Jun 3, 2003.

1. The Hitcher

The Hitcher New Member

If you like The Stand, which I do, you should check out Swan Song by MacCammon.

2. jasmine99

jasmine99 New Member

Currently Reading:
    My Life - Bill Clinton
    Thanks! I will.:D

3. Shovelly

Shovelly New Member

Currently Reading:
    What was she thinking? [Notes on a scandal]
    I dont see how all you are scared of "The Shining"
    I didnt find it very frightening myself

4. Moon Shadow

Moon Shadow New Member

Fro me, three tie for scariest:

The Shining by Stephen King
    The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

5. fhs456

fhs456 New Member

The Shinning

I have to agree, The Shining is the scariest book I have ever read. Salem's Lot would be a close second.

6. Choc

Choc New Member

Currently Reading:
    'The skin gods' - Richard Montanari
    Was The girl next door written by Jack Ketchum??
    I'm now searching for a copy on Ebay after seeing your reccommendation.

7. -Carlos-

-Carlos- New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King
    Yes. It is written by Ketchum.

8. Weretybe

Weretybe New Member

One that really got me paranoid was "Velocity" by Dean Koontz. I love his writing style, and the book is a bit of a mind trip for me.

9. The Hitcher

The Hitcher New Member

The review for the movie based on this on (This review has spoilers)http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/1033 is excellent. Basically says it is almost exact to what is in the book. The reviewer said the woman next to him was crying and kept repeating "Please God let this poor child die". It is based on a true story. I believe the girls name is Sylvia Liken. It is considered the worst crime in IN history. His first book Off Season is just straight horror but it is very well done. About a group of cannibals that live in Maine. You need the re-released version. It is uncut and has a much darker (and better) ending. I am fairly new to Ketchum so if there are any other recommendations for him I would appreciate them.

Also The Girl Next Door starts really slow. The best way I have heard it described is" I spent the first half wishing something would happen and the second half wishing it would stop". Pretty much sums it up.

10. The Hitcher

The Hitcher New Member

It's a little creepy and extremely well done.

11. fhs456

fhs456 New Member

House of Leaves

Going to pick it up at the library today.

12. Fae

Fae New Member

I know someone already said this one, but I think the scariest book I've ever read has to be The Stand by Stephen King. Just the fact that it's a plausible situation that leads to the end of the world...it actually kept me up at night, worrying that the government was manufacturing a killer flu virus. It's believable. Also, King's descriptions of the plague are incredibly vivid and tragic, and his villain, Flagg,, is definitely scary.

13. firestarterut

firestarterut New Member

Heart Shaped Box. For some reason it actually scared me. Don't know why though.

14. Sofia

Sofia New Member

that is truly a mystery.

15. angerball

angerball Active Member

Currently Reading:
    The Famous Five series - Enid Blyton
    The Demon by Hubert Selby, Jnr. It's a very disturbing account of a man's descent into insanity, with a pretty brutal climax. I read it years ago, and have forgotten the details; I'd love to re-read it, and see if it has the same 'shock impact'.

16. morosetoast

morosetoast New Member

Currently Reading:
    Bentley Littles The House freaked me out but towards the end it was really bad and lost all of its scariness.

17. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker kickbox

Until quite recently I firmly believed that very little in fiction could really frighten me. Then I read The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. This is shocking, without question. This novel validates and legitimises the phrase, “The banality of evil”. What makes this so potent is the way that vile acts perpetrated on a child and are written in an almost prosaic, nonchalant way. Absolutely harrowing, yet there is much of literary merit in this remarkable novel. At times the reader feels almost guilty of voyeurism and culpable in some way simply for reading it. It’s no exaggeration to say that this novel upset me for days after and left me with a mild depression I found difficult to shake off. So do I regret reading it? Very difficult to say.

18. lethaldose

lethaldose New Member

Currently Reading:
    Monster by Jonathan Kellerman
    In terms of an actual horror, scary novel I would have to say it is a toss-up between Pet Semetary and The Shining by Stephen King. Although I would give Gerald's Game an honorable mention, it is not a particularly great book, but it has a very good scary moment.

But the book I actually found the most frightening was 1984 by George Orwell. That book scared me to death. Too much of it reminded me of what the world is like to day and the idea that we could be headed down a path similar to Oceania scares the crap out of me.

19. EmmaB

EmmaB New Member

The Girl Next Door is very scary. It's the only fiction book I read that disturbed me. I even talked to my boyfriend about it and he said "So why keep reading it?"

I was glad I did finish though. It's one of those books that gives some hope and then takes it away, and you just wish that things would go differently. It is based on a true story, which adds to the disturbing element, and there has also been a film of the true story made as well as an adaption of the book.

20. BeerWench13

BeerWench13 Active Member

Currently Reading:
    A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin
    After pulling my hamstring while snow skiing, I was at a cabin in the mountains during a snow storm. I had already read the book that I brought with me, the power was coming and going so watching TV wasn't really an option, so I decided to read The Shining. Scariest book ever for me, especially given my surroundings at the time.