• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Scariest horror movies

Wabbit

Since it's Halloween... Scariest horror movies?

Recently I had the pleasure of watching the Japanese Grudge 2. It scared the crap out of me!

The Ring is another scare-a-thon. Especially the at the end when
the dead girl crawls out of the well, through the tv, and crawls after the guy.

Salem's Lot is also up there.

What's your spooky poision?

Miss Congeniality Two...I'm still hiding under the covers. ;)

I actually don't care for scary movies because I'm a big sally. I've been avoiding the TV all weekend because there is nothing else on. However, I liked the original version of The Shining and I liked American Werewolf in London when I saw it (I was probably eight).

Maybe not the scariest but I remember watching loads of horror movies as a kid. I have fragmented memories of The Evil Dead when it came out on video; I must have been about three or four, maybe five. Monsters never tended to bother me.

The one film I do remember from around that time, and I haven't seen it since, was Audrey Rose. The constant screaming of the young girl in that movie got me, if I remember correctly, until she jumped through the glass and was no more.

Wabbit said:
Salem's Lot is also up there.
I nearly shat my pants when I first saw this. Specifically
the bit where that bald toothy vamp jumps up and takes up the whole screen suddenly. you know - the bit in the jail, I think it was.

I had nightmares about the little kid in Pet Sematary for many many years. More recently, Ringu scared the life out of me.

I remember seeing The Shining when I was 9 or 10 at a friend's house. Well, I remember seeing a lot of The Shining through my fingers when I dared to peek, but you get the idea. Great one.

I am NOT a fan of horror movies, but have seen a few in my time. The Omen would definately be one of the scariest - there's something about possessed children that goes beyond frightening. Arachnophobia would be another one... so make that possessed children and 8 legged creatures. Brrr!

Arachnophobia certainly ranks high. My dh rented it thinking it was a comedy! Well, it had John Goodman, right? He got his just rewards a few weeks later when he had to crawl under the low deck of our front porch..when he came out he was pale and told me he knew where they got those nasty spiders for this movie:rolleyes:

I have met very large spiders in my shower before, so that scene is particularly hideous to me. I also have appalling eyesight and usually don't wear contacts in the shower, so I have to put on my glasses and have a scan around for legs before I take them off and get in.

The scene with
the spider in the helmet
is also a stomach turner.

The Shining (I have the video and I don't want to watch it at night!)
Poltergeist (I just watched it tonight and I think I'm overcoming my fear of that movie, I laughed when JoBeth Williams slid down into the unfinished pool)
The Fog (the original with Jamie Lee Curtis)
Halloween(the first one)
Alien (I remember screaming in the theater when the thing burst out of John Hurt's chest!)

I averted my eyes from the screen more than a few times while watching The Grudge (I have seen the Japanese verison, but I didn't think that it was as good, possibly because this movie looks /much/ better on the big screen). The part where
the girl is on the bus and the face flashes up out of nowhere
gave me a huge fright, and the part where
she is washing her hair and the hand came out of her hair
made me jump pretty high, and also made me feel a tad squemish.

Wabbit said:
The Ring is another scare-a-thon. Especially the at the end when
the dead girl crawls out of the well, through the tv, and crawls after the guy.
This part looks /much/ better in the Japanese version. Have you ever seen it?

Yes, I have seen both the Jap and US version. I actually like the American version much better. I thought the movie had a lot more tension and drama to it. I found the Japanese version a little slow. I was shocked that I found the American one to be better! What's the world comming to! :eek:

Although I like the Japanese version of the Grudge better than the American version. I though the Grudge 2 was better than the first, but they are pretty similar though.

Wabbit said:
Yes, I have seen both the Jap and US version. I actually like the American version much better. I thought the movie had a lot more tension and drama to it. I found the Japanese version a little slow. I was shocked that I found the American one to be better! What's the world comming to! :eek:
I agree that the US version was better overall, but I thought that the part that you described previously looked better in the Japanese. The movements were a lot more creepy, IMO.

Back