• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Should eyezOnme be banned?

Should eyezOnme be banned?

• Yes-He's a troll and offends others

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No-being unpopular isn't a ban worthy "offense"

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SFG75

Just a thing for the mods to consider, doesn't mean it will be so. I don't have a horse in this race, though I do believe that it can't be ignored as more than a few members are upset. Is he just Un-P.C. and unpopular? If so, I don't think that's grounds to necessarily get rid of someone. Is he a troll and offensive? If so, I'd agree that he needs to go.

Thread in Question(updated)

Any thoughts?

I'm undecided at the moment. I want to see how eyez reacts to this before I make up my mind.

I voted "No". Reasons:
1. He is not the one to use the word "fucko" first.

2. He used no profanity in any posts. I've seen way worse attacks than his on other boards.

3. He's not an actual threat to anyone.

4. His opinion does count even if you don't agree with it - he has a right to express it.

5. Is it just me, because it seems as though everyone else jumped on him.

6. "Ban" is not in my vocabulary.

7. The www is a crazy place. If you can't handle it - leave.

8. Now everyone hates me.:(

aww, no one hates you mama-sama. You said what you felt which is more important than just falling into place with the crowd.

I voted yes. I would rather see him straighten up and fly right so he doesn't have to get banned, because he CAN be amusing at times - unintentionally so, but still. For the reasons I mentioned earlier, though, I don't expect that he will. Whether he uses profanity or not - which I don't get why it would be a factor at all - he deliberately tries to offend people. If the choice were between him getting banned and him keeping on as he has, driving people away from this board, then...

I don't think so. I think that all of us have a tendency to be a bit crude (I am a prime example, but I don't see a Ban-Vesper thread either); give him a second chance and see if he'll change. Or have the mods pm him with the complaints. It's happened to me before and I am trying to prevent it from happening again. Everyone should get that chance, though I do agree his comments were a bit sexist.

I'd like to retract my previous comments about "giving people a second chance" because I just checked back at the thread in question and realized eyes0nme is a plagiarist. I'm shocked that anyone could sink that low and am all for it now. This has escalated even further than I had previously thought.

I cannot put into words how angry that makes me. Just...no. I won't even get started, because I'll probably wind up saying something I regret more than voting "no" on this poll.

I voted no, and here is why.

The fact of the matter is that posting an unpopular opinion and doing a poor job at defending it is NOT against the membership agreement. I'm not saying that eyez isn't trying to be aggrivating, I think he is. However, there isn't much to do about it.

As this is the second time that "why aren't the moderators doing anything about it?" has come up recently, I have a more general statement to make about the issue.

In the past the "previous moderation team" was repeatedly criticized when individual members deleted posts, closed threads and suspended members. The term "heavy handed" was also dished out like candy at Halloween. So, the "current moderation team" works hard to make decisions as a team, which generally means "not instant". On top of that, we try hard to make decisions that are "fair" and totally in agreement with the MA. I'm sorry if this isn't "enough" moderation for everyone, but we are trying hard to moderate in a way that balances what we think is right with what the members here have clearly stated is what they want!

**I'm not addressing the plagarism issue here as that is a whole separate issue being addressed by the moderation team.

I am satisfied in how the moderators are handling this problem. No rules have been broken so eyezOnme will not be banned. For me I am glad that the thread itself was closed. My hope is that eyeZOnme can do an about-face and restrict his personal attacks on other members in the immediate future. Then things would be, at least, a little better around here. Are you listening eyezOnme? You hold the ball.

I'm not criticizing the moderating team. I think moderating is harder than everyone thinks and I applaud the team for being liberal and considering everything. I'm rather fond of our moderators, in fact. I like being able to post without looking over my shoulder all the time, but I think it's a privilege that should not be abused.

Some of those comments were made by a person who hasn't been here very long and probably is not very familiar with the moderating team yet.

I didn't think you responded to me specifically, but I just thought that maybe I had better clarify that I don't think the mods aren't doing their job. I think this must be a difficult situation for you guys to deal with and I imagine that you all have mixed feelings about it. If you ban him, some people are going to say you're restricting the rights to free speech, and if you don't ban him, people are going to say that you're allowing rude comments to be made without consequence. It's a delicate decision, and it deals a little more with shades of gray than black and white. I understand where you're coming from because at my school literary club I was forced to aid in the booting one of our members after an issue dealing with some plagiarized poems. One or two people weren't too happy with her being made to leave, although a few people thought the then-president should have been even harsher. Now I'm the president of that club and I pray I will never have the problem again, though I was near the heart of the previous controversy.

So, the "current moderation team" works hard to make decisions as a team, which generally means "not instant". On top of that, we try hard to make decisions that are "fair" and totally in agreement with the MA.

I have to say I think this is an excellent process. If members can try to refrain from wanting instant action I think this will work best for everyone in the long run. Just wanted to post an appreciation to the current moderation "team" for all the work they do and for putting up with all of us.

While I have read the thread that is question and did feel offended by what he said to that person, I felt that it was a legitmate debate and it did get out of hand and was handled by mods approiately. And yes, I do realize that it is how this person feels about female authors and while I wish he didn't, he is right in terms of free speech and the right to say what he feels; most democracies do acknowledge the freedom of speech aspect and also the freedom of association. For the most part, we all live in countries that acknowledge freedom of speech and association and as far as I know, England does have freedom of speech, even if it isn't inshrined as it is in the American Constitution.

Back on topic, closing a topic is probably the best way of stoping that sort of behaviour, rather than banning people, as banning people tends to leave a bad taste in people's mouths and should only be warrented if something is especially egreageous and harmful towards a variety of groups; in other words, really racist that it offends not only one group/person, but a number of people at the same time.

That being said, if you really don't like what somebody is saying, don't egg them on; it only encourages the behaviour and allows it to be that imflamatory. I know I am saying what is ideal, but in reality, it is the truth. If you post something in response to whatever is being discussed, you have to realize that the individual may take it the wrong way.

yes, the topic that eyezOnme was controversial, but it was an interesting one and there certainly a lively debate. But it didn't call for him to act in that manner towards one of the members to the point that she probably won't return and will probably give BAR a bad name as a result. I would have probably been offended as well, but eventually I would have just stopped responding to him and I realize that is easier said than done. I am not trying to make light of what happened by any means and understand that I am writing this from the perspective of not being involved in said discussion.

As the thread in question has been ‘tidied up’ it’s hard to tell exactly what was said and who said it first. But from the bits that remain it seems to follow a similar, if more exaggerated version, of previous interactions between eyezOnme and the board. Yes, at times he can act like a troll, and not a very good one, but one that can be handled fairly easily. If people are having trouble dealing with this guy they’re gunna have problems elsewhere on the big, bad web.

The real issue from the thread seems to me to be the breaking of this rule:

3.3 The inclusion of excerpts from an article on another site is allowed as long as credit is given to the author of the article(s)

The moderators have already stated that this is in hand.

Oh, and for those of you angry that eyezOnme has broken this rule and driven away a 'valued member of the forum', it’s worth noting that said valued member broke the exact same rule in this thread, posting 14.

Perhaps we should ban them both?

K-S

The real issue from the thread seems to me to be the breaking of this rule:

3.3 The inclusion of excerpts from an article on another site is allowed as long as credit is given to the author of the article(s)

The moderators have already stated that this is in hand.

Oh, and for those of you angry that eyezOnme has broken this rule and driven away a 'valued member of the forum', it’s worth noting that said valued member broke the exact same rule in this thread, posting 14.

Thanks Kenny. I wasn't aware of that since I was avoiding the thread until I'd seen the movie. I too am intrigued by the 'valued member' thing given that in her 63 posts she has spent most of them arguing that eyez0nme, manuscriptx, and Mel Gibson (if he's here) should be banned.

I honestly didn't realize that, either. I had seen a few of her posts and thought she seemed like an intelligent person and would be a good addition to the forum. I think I'd have to wait to hear what she has to say about that. She appeared to be quoting from many sources in said post, and I'm inclined to believe that it was accidental, as compared to eyes0nme's blatantly intentional plagiarism.

i think this poll was worded poorly. he should be banned not for being unpopular, but for repeatedly violating terms of agreement to post on this board.

Back