• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Smilies..need more smilies..

Exactly, jayne, the world would be a far better place with more similies. The more the merrier, they could be as the stars twinkling in the night sky, like the grains of sand on the wind-swept beach .......:rolleyes: :p ;) :D

I'm not knocking anyone that adores those smileys.
That's because I don't knock people unless they knock first.
Me, well, I NEVER use them.
Seems to me that if I need a smiley to express myself, I've failed linguistically.
If I write a tongue in cheek remark, or perhaps offer some dry humor, you've got to get it without a picture. I'm not going to beat you on the head with JOKE JOKE JOKE!!! or HA HA HA!! or WINK WINK WINK!!
The nuance, the subtlety, the undertones would be lost.
You've got to read between the lines to understand me, and that's how I want it.
It's kind of, once I saw everyone else using them, I decided right then and there I wouldn't.
I'm an iconoclast. I like being different just because I refuse to conform.
If everyone else wears polka dots, I'll wear stripes.
As far as smileys, my theory is, the value of a post is inversely correlated with the number of smileys in the post.
Some posts consist of nothing BUT smileys (gak!). - see, I can write a word that conveys disdain or annoyance without drawing you a picture.
The LAST thing we need is more of them.
Oh well, carry on.

Smilies...some forums I've been to are ungodly packed with nothing but smilies - smilies jumping around, smilies throwing things, smilies taking a cra..uh, you name it. For a while, like Libre, I made the decision to avoid smilies at all costs. However, having had posts misinterpreted for lack of facial expression, I find that some posts want one, simply to remove all doubt and be totally obvious. Especially short posts.

addendum: I forgot to mention that I would truly hate it if this forum took on the appearance of a heavy smilie forum. We are readers here.

Second bren's observation that smilies will help ease the conveying of certain posts. And don't forget inflections or turn of phrases may be lost on those who are not native English speakers - too many people forget that, and think eveyone should understand what they mean simply because everyone speaks in English. This is an international forum.

I don't think that having more smileys will somehow undermine the tone of the forum, anymore than having more ice-cream flavours in a hotel buffet will undermine the quality of the main courses.

Whether there are more smileys or not, I don't mind either way. Those who really want to post specific smileys will be able to do it whether it's in the forum's smiley palette or not anyway.

ds

Smilies...some forums I've been to are ungodly packed with nothing but smilies - smilies jumping around, smilies throwing things, smilies taking a cra..uh, you name it. For a while, like Libre, I made the decision to avoid smilies at all costs. However, having had posts misinterpreted for lack of facial expression, I find that some posts want one, simply to remove all doubt and be totally obvious. Especially short posts.

addendum: I forgot to mention that I would truly hate it if this forum took on the appearance of a heavy smilie forum. We are readers here.

True, I hate the simlies that need an interpreter.

It's kind of, once I saw everyone else using them, I decided right then and there I wouldn't.
I'm an iconoclast. I like being different just because I refuse to conform.
If everyone else wears polka dots, I'll wear stripes.

An unimportant side issue here:

Always swimming against the tide is just as lacking in originality as always swimming with it.

But I take the points made about smilies. Dont like 'em myself, but that's led to my posts being misinterpreted at times.

Always swimming against the tide is just as lacking in originality as always swimming with it.

A very perceptive observation Kenny.

As far as the smilies go, I think jaynebosco and I were just fooling round with the mis-spelling of smilie (simile) that abc inadvertentently made on Dork's intro. ( :) just to show it doesn't worry me)

A very perceptive observation Kenny.

As far as the smilies go, I think jaynebosco and I were just fooling round with the mis-spelling of smilie (simile) that abc inadvertentently made on Dork's intro. ( :) just to show it doesn't worry me)

Urk, Freudian slip..:eek:

I should have said, I avoid doing something merely because everyone else is doing it, rather than implying that I avoid doing it only because everyone else is.

Back