• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So what did you all read in January?

Well I only got one book read this month(Wild Orchids by Jude Deveraux) and many childrens book. My husband got promoted the first of the year and with his promotion came more work for me on data entry. I use to do data entry for one farm(5500 sows) and now currently doing about 7700 sows and in the coming months it will be another 1000. Along with entries i have 200-400 sow cards to write on weekly and get back to the farms. I know u all have no clue wth i am talking about:rolleyes: but yet between work, family and sports I have had very little time to read. Lately I pick up the book and my eyes close:eek:

WTG to everyone who read soooo many!! That is awesome and yes I am jealous:) I keep telling myself ...."Someday u will be able to have more time to read";)

January

Finished

Running in the Family by Michael Ondaatje
Symptoms of Withdrawal by Christopher Kennedy Lawford
Runaway and other stories by Alice Munro
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
A Cold Case by Philip Gorevitch

Read in part

Ulysses by James Joyce (continuing)
A Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (continuing)
Night Train by Martin Amis (dropped due to sucking)

Short stories, various, mostly from The New Yorker, including work by

T. C. Boyle
Murakami
Annie Proulx (online Brokeback Mtn)
and others

BTW, I think there's a new Tobias Wolfe story on the New Yorker. I know there's one in the hardcopy I got by mail today. If I find the link, I'll post.

finished:

over the edge by Jonathan Kellerman

currenting reading:

The Drawing of the Three by stephen King
Fallen Idols by J. F. Freeman
Prey by Michael Crichton
The Ghost of Sairaag by Hajime Kanzaka
Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Going to start this month:
Legacies part 1 of the Corean Chronicles by L.E. Modesitt ,jr:D

what did i read? not nearly enough. :(

finished:
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
Interface by Neal Stephenson

halfway through:
The Third Policeman by Flann O'brien
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
The Rule of Four

started:
Grass for His Pillow

hoping to start this month:
Foundation
Jhereg
A Game of Thrones

In between teaching, grading papers, sponsoring activities, raising my own kids, cleaning the house, and doing petty things like eating and sleeping, I read Apt Pupil and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. On top of that, I finished off a non-fiction book on Tip O'Neil.

I finished Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

I stared & finished In Cold Blood - Truman Capote,
Beasts of No Nation - Uzodinma Iweala
and The Sea - John Banville

and started A Very Long Engagement - Sebastian Japrisot

I've been so tired at night after work (when I usually read) that I've been falling asleep...

I think of myself as being a fast reader, but I too am feeling as though I'm lagging behind. Nevertheless, here's what I read in January:

Margaret Atwood: The Blind Assassin

Jose Saramago: Blindness (no, it was not a "theme month", just happened that way!)

Charles Darwin: The Expression of Emotion in Man and Animals (re-read, not finished yet).

The month of February will be devoted to re-reading as much Darwin as I can, in honor of his birthday (February 12th 1809, in case you are wondering!). I got started early with "The Expression of Emotion", and I'm still working on it. After February, I'll definitely be ready for some more fiction.

Finished:

1776 - David McCullough
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
Mirror Mirror - Gregory Maguire
The Constant Princess - Philippa Gregory
Freddy and Fredericka - Mark Helprin
Wicked - Gregory Maguire
The Borgia Bride - Jeanne Kalogridis

So close but not quite:

The Exiled - Posie Graeme-Evans

No numbers for those who are sensitive about such things:D

I have spent the whole month on one book. I can't belive it. I have been quite busy, plus the book is pretty darn dense. I am actually trying to remember all the details because it is just so interesting.

The Sword and The Shield: The Mitrokhin Archives and the Secret History of the KGB - By Christopher Andrews and Vasili Mitrokhin

Man... The loser who spent the whole month on one book.. :)

Well I only got one book read this month(Wild Orchids by Jude Deveraux)
Oh I loved that book!! You had to hang in there with it in places because it was so repetative but it was sooo very interesting to see the same situation written from his perspective and hers. That was just great writing... makes you really wonder what the heck goes on in the other sex's heads, doesn't it?? And the scene with her showing up at his house in her wedding dress... priceless!

I read Laurell Hamilton's Incubus Dreams (skip it unless you're a fan who's read the whole series), Bitten & Smitten by Michelle Rowan (skip it), Unleash the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon (very good... much better than her last one), The Wages of Sin by Jenna Maclaine (must-read for paranormal raomance/vampire readers!), I started The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein but I'm only a chapter or so into it. I meant to get Red Lily by Nora Roberts read in January but didn't get to it. Oh, and there was an anthology in there somewhere too but I don't remember the name.

In January I read

Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie

The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon

The Time Travellers Wife - A. Niffenegger

Even if I had more time I don’t expect I would read much more than this in a month. However I am happy with that and I am glad I joined TBF because it is good to hear about the books that others are reading. I am presently reading Small Island by Andrea Levy and I am enjoying very much. I don’t think I would have read this if I had not heard of it here on TBF. :)

Books I actually read in January:
Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey
Godfather: The Intimate Francis Ford Coppola by Gene D. Phillips

Books I finished in January:
Chainfire by Terry Goodkind
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey

Books I started in January:
The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl

I also finished up Pledged by Alexandra Robbins and completed Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labor in the American Black Market by Eric Schlosser.

Anamnesis said:
I also finished up Pledged by Alexandra Robbins and completed Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labor in the American Black Market by Eric Schlosser.

What did you think of Reefer Madness? My oldest dd read and said it was pretty interesting, but I haven't had time and energy to pursue it. Should I add it to me list?

abecedarian said:
Steffee's right about the numbers game..I like to say that he who dies having read the most books...still dies! It's not about quantity.

Great answer. Basically in January I was reading the slowest in my whole life. I found a book where I love to read every word. I like how the words make sentences, senteces form paragraphs and the story goes on. I do not want to come to the end of the book! I never liked the process of reading itself, like with this book. It is the Saramago's " Baltasar and Blimunda" (Memorial do convento). It is sooo charming :rolleyes:

Had anybody ever experienced something like this? It is the first time in my life! Normaly it is like veni-vedi-vici. Took the book, read it, finished, isn't it?

I read the following in January:

The Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Eleanor Rigby - Douglas Coupland
Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
Digital Fortress - Dan Brown
The Coral Island - RM Ballantyne
War of the Worlds - HG Wells
The Magicians' Guild - Trudi Canavan

I'm also partway through The Novice (sequel to The Magicians' Guild).

Books I finished in January:
"Through Violet Eyes" by Stephen Woodworth
"Panic" by Jeff Abbott
"Speak of the Devil" by Richard Hawke
"Ordinary Heroes" by Scott Turow
"When the Bough Breaks" by Jonathan Kellerman
"Memory In Death" by J.D. Robb

Book I started but didn't finish:
"The Epicure's Lament" by Kate Christensen

Currently in the middle of:
"Already Dead" by Charlie Huston

abecedarian said:
What did you think of Reefer Madness? My oldest dd read and said it was pretty interesting, but I haven't had time and energy to pursue it. Should I add it to me list?

Sure, it's worth a read. The section on cheap labor/illegal immigration isn't that interesting but thankfully it's the shortest section in the book. Everything else is fine...

Oh wow.. It's amazing how many of you can read so much! I'm jealous.. really jealous..

As for me I only read one book for the month of January. It was the 5th Harry Potter, Order of the Phoenix.

Books I'm going to hopefully read and finish for February are:

Lois Lowry - Gathering Blue
Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian
Daphne Du Maurier - Rebecca
Stephen King - Cell

My reading was cut short this month by the start of school and the watching of Lost Season 1 on DVD with the wife. But...
Life, the Universe and Everything - Douglas Adams
The End of Poverty - Jeffery Sachs
Yes Man - Danny Wallace
The Postman - David Brin
The Communist Manifesto - Marx and Engels (school)
The Elements of Social Scientific Thinking (school)
Jailbird - Kurt Vonnegutt

ksheppard said:
1776 - David McCullough
How did you like it? I saw an interview with him a month or so ago and it sounded interesting.

Wow, I am so happy that there are so many other weirdos out there like me who read and read and read. I am the only person I have ever actually met who reads this much. People look at me like I'm a freak when they notice that I have a new book every 5 days or so. And I watch tv too, but I read during the day when I'm nannying.

Back