• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Someone tell me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronny said:
I don't see why every book thread has to turn into an I'm smarter than you are thread.
Everyone keeps talking about this, but I don't think I've seen such a thread yet. (Or maybe I'm just too stupid to realise ;) )

Ronny said:
Well that was the problem I was trying to explain, how some are happy talking about their books and then others come in and take over the thread turning it into a hardcore debate. I think that there is room here for very intellectual debates and some light conversations about the books we are reading.
I don't see any problem with every thread turning into a debate as long as it's about the books and not the reader.
From some the the replies I've read it seems that some people would only like people who agree with them to reply. Light conversation is IMO what we have the 'Currently reading' and 'Just finished reading' threads for. If someone starts a thread about a specific book or author I would like indepth descussion, I might not be able to join in on the discussion, but at least I learn something.

Debate is fine but this is what I see happening, a person in currently reading posted that they are reading Da Vinci Code on the recommendation of a friend and liking it, the response

It would seem, sir, that your friend hasn't a clue about fiction and, by your enjoyment of the book, neither do you.

It's one of the most embarrassing books of recent years.

to me that is not debating the book but insulting the reader.

Ronny said:
No we haven't really crossed swords before, I don't get into most of the debates but I do read them. I don't mind that they are there, If I go into a book and intelligence thread I expect exactly what I find there and I like alot of what you personally have said :).

I was referring rather to the members that go to say the King or Brown thread just to heckle those that read it, and they don't seem to have any other agenda than to make those that read for fun feel bad about it. I don't mind a negative opinion at all if it's in respect to that book and there is a discussion going on but when someone hasn't even read the book but dislikes the author and so goes into the thread just to put the author down, that would be an example of what I'm refering to.

I know I'm not getting this across well but it's just the way some go from thread to thread saying the same thing about the same book/author that gets tiresome and that the posters don't even offer what they would feel to be a better book. It just feels as if they come here to post and put others down.
I think you've gotten it across quite nicely. I agree with you. It's not the fact that people disagree about books and say so in a particular thread that's troublesome, it's when certain members go on a 'stalking' mission to hunt down every available thread that mentions a book or author they don't like to make the same derogatory comments over and over. It's like they've made it their mission in life to ridicule the poor souls who don't 'see the light'.

And Shade, I find your posts to be intelligent, reasonable and the way in-depth discussion and debate should be conducted, not at all what Ronny and I are talking about.

ell

Ronny said:
Debate is fine but this is what I see happening, a person in currently reading posted that they are reading Da Vinci Code on the recommendation of a friend and liking it, the response
Thanks for looking that up for me! I never read the currently reading threads, so that would explain some things.

Yes, this seems to happen a bit in the currently reading thread, I like going there and seeing what others are reading and getting a quick feel for how they like or dislike it.

Ronny said:
Yes, this seems to happen a bit in the currently reading thread, I like going there and seeing what others are reading and getting a quick feel for how they like or dislike it.
I think I'd want to buy too many books after reading those threads. It's self-preservation that I don't go in there.

sirmyk said:
(I am in anticipation for Martin's 8,000th post; he's at 7,999 now)
I think he's playing hard to get.

hay82 said:
You are right, that isn't debating and it's exactly the thing that has to go.

I think that is the type of thing that keeps so many from posting on books and while this poster seemed to stick it out for awhile, many wouldn't.

Ell said:
I think you've gotten it across quite nicely. I agree with you. It's not the fact that people disagree about books and say so in a particular thread that's troublesome, it's when certain members go on a 'stalking' mission to hunt down every available thread that mentions a book or author they don't like to make the same derogatory comments over and over. It's like they've made it their mission in life to ridicule the poor souls who don't 'see the light'.

like people making about 70 posts in threads refering a book they dont like?

Wabbit said:
A large number of members of this forum have come out to say the forum has a hostile vibe and they feel bullied because their statements and reading preferences are pounced upon in a very hostile way. Are all these users just over sensitive or have a very vivid imagination? Of course not.

There are also a large number of members who have stated that they don't see a problem and/or they don't feel they should modify their posted-distaste of particular books. Also, there's a lot of talk about 'responsibility', yet it hasn't been applied to the people who run a mile when someone serves a rejection of their view.

I'm sure some members would enjoy nothing more than to slobber over one of Cussler's Dirk Diggler stories. That's fine, if you are that way inclinced, but it should be remembered that there are also a number of members who would rather cover their eyes with plaster and wait for the sun to melt than read that kind of thing. Are they not allowed to voice their opinion too?

Posting your distaste is fine, but then some seem to want to drowned out anyone's good opinion of a book or author and what results is discussion that goes alot like the ones my little brother and I used to have on long car rides. The one that went on and on with no point in the end.

Ronny said:

It would seem, sir, that your friend hasn't a clue about fiction and, by your enjoyment of the book, neither do you.

It's one of the most embarrassing books of recent years.

to me that is not debating the book but insulting the reader.

I would have appreciated it if you had credited me with that post, Ronny. It's my opinion and I stand by it. Of course, when read in the context of the thread it's taken from it makes sense.

It was a response to:

JonV said:
The Da Vinci Code - I didn't plan to read it (after the adverse publicity), but a friend said it was good and lent me a copy. Actually it's brilliant - can't put it down - very glad I changed my mind!

It's not brilliant by any means; it's an amateurish attempt that misses the mark on many levels. As far as I see it, my post is my opinion and, as I've said, I stand by it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
There are also a large number of members who have stated that they don't see a problem and/or they don't feel they should modify their posted-distaste of particular books. Also, there's a lot of talk about 'responsibility', yet it hasn't been applied to the people who run a mile when someone serves a rejection of their view.

Are they not allowed to voice their opinion too?

Of course they are allowed to voice their opinion. It should be in a respectful manner though. It certainly isn't right to expect members to simply not voice negative opinions of particular books. However, I think it has been made clear that that isn't what people are complaining about. Ronny's post shows the issue a lot of people have here. The complaint is about members who frequently feel the need to put down another member's intelligence or literacy level. If a member can't criticize a book without making a direct criticism of the person reading it, it doesn't say much for their own ability to write.

Stewart you seem like a really smart guy and I can see your points alot of the time but I fail to see why you need to be so insulting to get your points across.

mehastings said:
Ronny's post shows the issue a lot of people have here. The complaint is about members who frequently feel the need to put down another member's intelligence or literacy level. If a member can't criticize a book without making a direct criticism of the person reading it, it doesn't say much for their own ability to write.

Ah, but conversely, if a person can't give a reason as to why something is "brilliant" then it doesn't say much for their ability to read. Especially given the subject matter. ;)

Ronny said:
Stewart you seem like a really smart guy and I can see your points alot of the time but I fail to see why you need to be so insulting to get your points across.

Some may find me insulting while others may find me direct. It's how you interpret it. Maybe a smilie after every comment may calm things down. :) :) :) :) :)

Stewart said:
Ah, but conversely, if a person can't give a reason as to why something is "brilliant" then it doesn't say much for their ability to read. Especially given the subject matter. ;)

That is very true.

Martin said:
So, you expect a critical essay whenever a person wants to say they like a book or author?

No, but even a single sentence saying why. I don't think on a discussion forum it's enough to say something is great (or, for some, it's grate!!!!!!) but you have to be able to provide justification.

You wouldn't join a debating society and say Hitler was wrong. I am teh w1nz0r!!!!! You would be required to justify your reasoning. When it comes to discussing books the same rules apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back