• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Someone tell me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is all a bit pretentious.

the general area is for off-topic discussion. and off topics subjects are what's in there.

I'd like to see political and religious discussion allowed but other than that I don't think theres anything wrong with the forum.

I am fairly new though, so some might think I'm in no position to comment but I've chipped in my two pence worth, for what it's worth.

RobertFKennedy said:
the general area is for off-topic discussion. and off topics subjects are what's in there.
That's just the point. Quite a few threads don't even have a subject!

Stewart said:
With all respect, this is smalltime. I'm the moderator of this forum (Threads: 90,821, Posts: 409,718, Members: 28,118) and there is only two other active moderators. Our Admin hasn't been seen for months.

quite impresive :eek:

lies said:
That's just the point. Quite a few threads don't even have a subject!
i dont think it matters in the general area. It's only one part of the forum and if people like having a bit of inane banter there then fair enough. theres plenty of other areas for more concise discussion.

RobertFKennedy said:
i dont think it matters in the general area. It's only one part of the forum and if people like having a bit of inane banter there then fair enough. theres plenty of other areas for more concise discussion.
Herein lies the problem. These areas "for more concise discussion" are becoming flooded with "inane banter".

(I am in anticipation for Martin's 8,000th post; he's at 7,999 now)

sirmyk said:
Herein lies the problem. These areas "for more concise discussion" are becoming flooded with "inane banter".

(I am in anticipation for Martin's 8,000th post; he's at 7,999 now)

which areas sirmyk? Martin's main beef seems to be with the general chat area and I cant quite get my head around it although I am honestly trying.

From what I can tell his main cource of chagrin is that the quality of chat in general chat is not what it once was. I'd just put that down to there being more members. In general chat I just skip over thread titles which dont interest me.

If I open one and it turns out its not of interest I just go to another one. no big deal, no major hassle.

jenngorham said:
i don't have any statistics on this, but i know personally from working in a bookstore that a lot of kids do go on to read other stuff. i don't know how many copies of the chronicles of narnia i sold to hp fans. not to mention the series of unfortunate events and kenneth oppel's silverwing series. to me it seemed like giving kids a chance to peek through a hole in the wall,and once they saw what was over there, they were hooked.

Spot on jenngorham :)

That's just what happened with mine and my sisters children, they used to moan when we went into a bookshop, and try as we might they were just not interested. :(

Not anymore their wanting to go in and are now interested in all sorts of books, some mentioned above by jenngorham.
I have noticed this with my sons school mates to, they talk about their fav books along side football and PS games etc

In my case its all thanks to the 'Harry Potter Books'

Hoping this will give them a love of books, they won't ever lose.

Hi, I can help explain.

Martin's problem is not with general chat. He has always been active in general chat himself.

He is saying that the forum has become a very hostile place. That there is far too much hostility, insulting, and deriding members for their choice in reading material and he is right.

Things are changing though. It's going to get better.

I want to add that if anybody has any problem or concern with the forum at all then please don't hesitate to contact myself or another moderator. If you feel that something is not right then please do speak up and say so. We are here to help :)

RobertFKennedy said:
which areas sirmyk? Martin's main beef seems to be with the general chat area and I cant quite get my head around it although I am honestly trying.

From what I can tell his main cource of chagrin is that the quality of chat in general chat is not what it once was.

actually its been expressed several times in this thread that is the board in general.

would you please not limit yourself to read just what martin has posted, and take a look at the posts of other members who has expresed a similar disconfort, like for example, lies, ronny, dele, hay, and myself among others

its true that martin started this thread, but the thread is not about martin, as some people seem to think

Wabbit said:
Hi, I can help explain.

Martin's problem is not with general chat. He has always been active in general chat himself.

He is saying that the forum has become a very hostile place. That there is far too much hostility, insulting, and deriding members for their choice in reading material and he is right.

Things are changing though. It's going to get better.

I want to add that if anybody has any problem or concern with the forum at all then please don't hesitate to contact myself or another moderator. If you feel that something is not right then please do speak up and say so. We are here to help :)

I think the forum can be robust at times but compared to many other forums it's like a night at the opera on here.

I think its pitiful that people try to assert themselves over other people's choices of reading but free speech is paramount. There are plenty of fairer ways to demostrate your intelligence than scoffing at other people's reading choices. It's very pretentious. That said, we should not hold back in our critique of books. Theres no need to make it personal to the reader though.

As for those who post personal insults, they immediately lose all credibility and they lose the argument when they do so.

it's like debating politics, the 1st person to mention hitler in anger loses.

mr_michel said:
actually its been expressed several times in this thread that is the board in general.

would you please not limit yourself to read just what martin has posted, and take a look at the posts of other members who has expresed a similar disconfort, like for example, lies, ronny, dele, hay, and myself among others

its true that martin started this thread, but the thread is not about martin, as some people seem to think
Fair enough, I'll read the thread more carefully. I've got nothing against Martin by the way, and I was not having a go at him.

RobertFKennedy said:
I think the forum can be robust at times but compared to many other forums it's like a night at the opera on here.

I think its pitiful that people try to assert themselves over other people's choices of reading but free speech is paramount. There are plenty of fairer ways to demostrate your intelligence than scoffing at other people's reading choices. It's very pretentious. That said, we should not hold back in our critique of books. Theres no need to make it personal to the reader though.

As for those who post personal insults, they immediately lose all credibility and they lose the argument when they do so.

it's like debating politics, the 1st person to mention hitler in anger loses.
Thanks, now I have nothing to post... :cool:

RobertFKennedy said:
Yet it's still TheBookForum, not TheBookChat.

I think as the book threads get less hostile, more members will post there. I know I for one tend to joke around when I'm nervous and so I've been doing alot of that lately but I am hoping that more books will be brought up in a friendlier way and we'll all spend more time there.

Ronny said:
I think as the book threads get less hostile, more members will post there. I know I for one tend to joke around when I'm nervous and so I've been doing alot of that lately but I am hoping that more books will be brought up in a friendlier way and we'll all spend more time there.

I agree, but the evolution a thread from one going from books to criticism is a gradual process. To see how this happens, click here. Notice how being on the issue wasn't a problem early on and then......... :rolleyes:

Well that was the problem I was trying to explain, how some are happy talking about their books and then others come in and take over the thread turning it into a hardcore debate. I think that there is room here for very intellectual debates and some light conversations about the books we are reading. I don't see why every book thread has to turn into an I'm smarter than you are thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back