• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: Cujo

SFG75

Went to the library tonight and couldn't find anything of interest in the non-fiction/current events section, so I checked out Cujo.:) Any thoughts on this one by those who have read it? I'm really looking forward to this. I need something to break up all the short stories I'm reading by Lovecraft.:D

You will like this one.

King does not even remember writing this novel, because he was so coked up, as he says "On Writing".

It's like a Ketchum novel. Everyone dies.

SF, you're on a total King bender at the moment. Which can only be good.

(join me on the dark side.....)

I haven't actually read Cujo......the movie was scary!

eyezOnme-Glad to hear that everyone dies in it, I'm just past the part where Cujo starts to feel a bit odd after the rabid bat bite. I love the mangy veteran who had his medals made into an ashtray. What a guy!.:D Oh yeah, and your comment reminded me of a written spoof of sorts that is along the lines of your "coke" comment. The Onion is known for some humorous fake news, enjoy.

Stephen King-I don't even remember writing The Tommyknockers.

Peronel-Yes, I'm in the mood for horror. I'm branching out a bit from old Poe and trying some more King and Lovecraft. It's been worth it so far.

First King book that I ever read, I was in the 6th or 7th grade, having graduated from Robert E. Howard paperbacks to horror, and I remember reading up to the part where the kid starts throwing up blood and that scared me so bad, that I stopped reading it and it took about a month before I picked it back up and began reading it again. Of course then I found out that the kid wasn't throwing up blood, just red dyed cereal.:rolleyes: After that there was no stopping me with scary books.

Interesting article, SF. It's funny because the central character in The Tommyknockers has black-out phases of writing (for different reasons than King's).

I just remembered that Cujo is set in the Castle Rock Universe. I have to read it now.

One of his best.
And partly because the monster wasn't a vampire or a ghoul or a malignant machine brought to life, or a purple people eater, but an ordinary (okay, not so ordinary, but still a perfectly plausible) dog. And a crapped out car. It could happen. Probably has, in some form or other.
If I didn't have an extreme aversion to re-reading, I'd re-read.

Well, I'm not a fan of King, but this one was actually good. The plot is terrifying, and surprisingly realistic (which isn't always King's strong point) in itself. However, I will say I enjoyed the movie more... which is a rare occurence with me, but there it is. Dee Wallace's performance was consummate and Danny Pintauro (Johnathan off of Who's The Boss?) turned in very believable acting for his age, which was seven at the time. Anyway, the book is great, check it out.

What a book!(no, not our board member)

After taking a couple days off, I finally fished it tonight. I have to say that I was practically screaming at the characters. Whether it was Vic or the police after he mentioned the garage, it really got my blood going. For about a page and a half, the smart people looking around asking questions just had me on the edge of my seat. "Where could she be?," "Where is the Pinto?" She's at Joe's garage you morons!.":rolleyes: :D I can barely remember the movie and I was very surprised at how skittish I remembered it, or at what was perhaps left out. I'm not certain which is the case, but I'll definitely have to rent it again and see for myself. I didn't remember the whole
bit about Donna having the afair with Steve
or
of Tad's death.
The last part was a bit of a shock to me in regard to the latter item. I also can't help but notice that King has a way of killing off the one person in the book whom you don't want to see die. Thanks Mr. King, yes, ending the book on a positive note is so prosaic.:rolleyes: I really enjoyed this one and can see from reading It and Cujo, why folks would say his early works are his best.

I'm sure if King hadn't had Cujo on his list, and just published the story now in 2007, it wouldn't be well received from the fans. His new stuff is just as good but...well, it's hard to top yourself when you've already made yourself lead architect when building colossus after colossus. Cell was good, but people remembered The Stand.

King has a way of just leaving you scarred after the book. Why kill off Tad? I mean, seriously.:(

Yes, I've read Cell. The ending I didn't enjoy, everything else was fine.

EDIT: Tad died because Bachman crept into Stephen's head towards the end. Also, Bag of Bones, read that SG.

Thank you for that wonderful insight.

Cujo is a good read, fully because Stephen King was stoned out of his mind while he wrote it. My God, he doesn't even remember the course of the novel. His best work was written while he was tripped-out, and he needs to bring back those days. His older books are insurmountably better than his rather exasperating, banal work today.

I read this years ago, and I remember being quite.....distressed....when Cujo started feeling funny. :( The other memorable bit was when the mother and son (I think?) were stuck in the car with Cujo out there trying to get at them. I'd love to re-read it. :)

Mcilroga comments:

'His (Stephen King) older books are insurmountably better than his rather exasperating, banal work today.'

You are right, but we have to give King a break. He's lucky to be breathing and still writing. He was walking/jogging (stories differ) and got slammed by a van along the side of the road, and tossed over 20 feet through the air...it's bound to affect you, and King talked about it once on the Tonight Show.
He's lucky. Be grateful he's still producing something and enjoy it. :cool:

An extract from the 1999 CNN article:

"Horror author Stephen King was seriously injured when he was struck by a minivan while walking in North Lovell, Maine, Saturday, Maine State Police said.

King, 51, was walking south on the shoulder of a road in North Lovell, where he owns a home, at about 4:30 p.m. when a motorist approaching from behind lost control of his Dodge Caravan, Oxford County Sheriff's deputy Matt Baker said. Baker said a dog in the van distracted the driver.

King was transported to Northern Cumberland Hospital and then flown by helicopter to Central Maine Hospital.

According to Laird Covey, vice president of medical affairs for Central Maine hospital, King was conscious and alert, in serious but stable condition, and was able to communicate with his family. Officials said the injuries were orthopedic in nature but family didn't release the details of them.

Late Saturday night King was being prepared for surgery, and was expected to remain in the hospital for several days."

The article was an early report. King was seriously injured. Every day he sits down at that keyboard and gives us all something is a good thing.

Back