• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: Dark Tower Series

Hi eveyone!

I am interested in reading the whole of the Dark Tower series when i get a chance ... there is a lot of debate on other forums on the internet as to whether the series is actually scary or not.

So, I was just wondering, to those that have read Dark Tower out there: is it scary?

Thanks!

tommydarascal said:
Hi eveyone!

I am interested in reading the whole of the Dark Tower series when i get a chance ... there is a lot of debate on other forums on the internet as to whether the series is actually scary or not.

So, I was just wondering, to those that have read Dark Tower out there: is it scary?

Thanks!

No, not scary, more midworld-sci fi fantasy.

No, it's not scary.. but it is good. After you've read the gunslinger, don't be scared to get into The Drawing of the Three, because I think it's the best book Stephen King has ever written.

another Dark Tower thread

I struggled through book 1. Often I thought about ditching it - except I bought the first 5 books at once, and I really wanted to give it a chance.
I looked to you, at TBF for encouragement, and I found it.

Now that I'm about to finish book 2, I can honestly state, with no reservation, that SK is an effin genius. How does he think of this stuff?

He's the most famous writer that ever lived - at least in distribution (I mean, everyone has heard of Shakespeare and James Joyce but how many people have actually READ them???).

As I said, SK is the most famous writer that has ever lived, and with good reason. He's one of the best.

Now I'm really glad I stuck with it, and I'm really into the series. I can't wait to get to books 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

I have mixed feelings about the last 2 books but I'm still glad I read The Dark Tower.

I think my favorite might still be The Drawing of the Three. I also enjoyed Wolves of the Calla.

I'm glad you decided to stick with it!
Just this morning, I was flipping through Book III... I, too, wonder how he comes up with this stuff.
Also, which Gunslinger did you read? The original or the revised one?
(After Book II, you're in for a real treat! At least I think so, The Wastelands is my favorite out of the series.)

Libre, that was a lot how I felt when I started the Dark Tower series. Though I actually really liked the Gunslinger, it wasn't until I finished The Drawing of the Three that I got so excited about the series. Honestly, I think TDOTT might be the best thing King has ever written. It is soo good, and moves right into the action and never lets up. A lot of people like Wizard and Glass even more. I actually found it a little boring, it's certainly different from the rest of the series, but looking back up on it, it's actually one of King's best work as well.

I didn't like Wizard and Glass much. It was slow and a BIG detour from the rest of the main story. Backstory is okay but a whole novel just for the was overkill IMO.

It was funny how they got past Blaine though.

Libra6Poe said:
I'm glad you decided to stick with it!
Just this morning, I was flipping through Book III... I, too, wonder how he comes up with this stuff.
Also, which Gunslinger did you read? The original or the revised one?
(After Book II, you're in for a real treat! At least I think so, The Wastelands is my favorite out of the series.)

I read the revised one. I must admit that I dozed throught part of it - I totally missed the part where
Jake falls into the abyss so Roland could catch up with the Man in Black.
The only way I know that happened is by reading about it later. I may have to go back and re-read it. But for now, I just want to press on. About 30 pages left in book 2.

Yes, the story doesn't really get rolling until the second book. The third one might be my fave of the series.

I can honestly state, with no reservation, that SK is an effin genius. How does he think of this stuff?

By reading Tolkien's novels and watching western films :D. I think those played a huge part in the creation of the Dark Tower novels. But yeah they really are some of the most fascinating fantasy novels I've ever read.

Although I didn't really care for it at the time, I think Wizard and Glass is probably one of the best of the series. I just loved King's writing in that one. So why didn't I like it? Well I first read it in 1999, years before King even started Book V of the series. I thought it was strange that we were getting a lengthy flashback story instead of an adventure with Roland's new ka-tet.

I'm glad that you stuck with it, Libre - I had exactly the same experience as you did. Book III has been waiting on my shelf for a little while now; I think that I might get onto it a bit sooner after the good comments I have read on this thread

I read parts 1-6 in about three weeks last summer. By the end, I was addressing people as "Sai" and annoying them by constantly pointing out that "Ka is a wheel". Oh, and whistling "Hey Jude" a lot. :D

The DT series is far from King's best work IMO - not to mention that at times it's more or less glorified fan fiction - but it is consistently intriguing and has some of his very best character development. Plus, one of the greatest endings in his entire body of work, though I know some disagree.

Glad you decided to stick with it, and glad you are enjoying it. :D IMO, the series peaks with Wizard and Glass; I wasn't a huge fan of the books after that, though I still liked them.

It is great to see there is a new towerjunkie. I myself really got into the series with Wizard and Glass, I have loved all the books, but W&G is still my favorite. Maybe just because that was the book where I went from merely liking the books to falling in love with them.

Well, long days and pleasant nights and I hope you find the road ahead as enthralling as I have all three times I have travelled it.

Also I soppose one good thing about the Dark Tower is it gave me more incentive to read the other books that tied in with it.

I just finished the last book, and I thought about the ending all week. I can't tell if I like it or not. On one hand it gives me a reason to reread it a couple times, but on the other hand I was dissapointed.

I think the series started to stumble after Wolves, Song of Susannah was dissapointingly short and the last two just couldn't contend with 2, 3, 4, or 5.

However, the series is my favorite of all time, and I'm sure it will remain so for a very very long time.

Back