• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: Dark Tower Series

King's Dark Tower Series

I just picked up the 6th book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, Song of Suzannah. Just wondering who has read this yet and is it as good as the other 5? Also wondering if The Dark Tower 7 is actually the last book in the series? Has King hinted around about there being another book in this series, ever?

If you are still going strong after book 5, I think you will definitely still enjoy book 6. And no, after book 7 that is all... I'm pretty sure he is done with the series.

I thought Book VI was better than V. But it's by no means my favorite. Either way, you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Check out the thread about the Dark Tower comics because next year (it was supposed to be this year) King is working with Marvel comics on producing a Dark Tower series.

Here are TBF links:

another Dark Tower thread
Stephen King / Dark Tower Comics!
About The Dark Tower series...
Discussion: King, Stephen: The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger
The Dark Tower series - please no spoliers
King's Dark Tower Series - For those who have completed it *SPOILERS*
books similar to Dark Tower
Dark Tower VII - MAJOR SPOILORS THROUGHOUT
King's Dark Tower Complete

I am just now finishing The Wolves of the Calla (DT 5) and about to begin The Song of Susanna (DT 6). There are seven (7) novels in the series. I think the Dark Tower series is fantastic.

I have read I and II, and am going to start on part III (The Waste Lands) very soon. I found The Gunslinger to be mediocre, but really loved The Drawing of the Three

The only one I didn't enjoy much was Wizard and Glass. The other 6 kept me awake for many nights. I love the series, and I have a huge crush on Roland.

Long days and pleasant nights...

I'm into book III now. I like each one exponentially more than its predecessor. This one - The Wastelands - is the best yet (in case you couldn't work that out from my last sentence!). I sort of wish I could read something else, though. But I'm in it for the long haul (and long it is!).

An essential site for the DT reader: thedarktower.net. Understanding the connections between King's other novels and the DT series is vital also:

roadmap.png

For me, the series peaked at Wizard and Glass. The others were readable, but they didn't have that "magic" that the others had, IMO.

I don't think there's any way there can be a book 8 of the series. You'll see what I mean when you read the last couple of sentences of the book. ;)

I still need to finish reading book five Wolves of the Calla. I had checked it out from the library the year it was released, but got distracted by other books to read during my Christmas vacation.

I liked Wolves of the Calla better than Song of Susannah, but I liked The Dark Tower VII better than the other two. But this is my favorite series ever. My favorite book was Wizard and Glass, but The Wastelands would be a close second. I am right now reading the series for the fourth time through. I just can't get enough of Roland's Quest.

By the way, Dark Tower VII is the last in the series, but yes there is going to be a graphic novel series by Marvel. But there is also the short story Little Sisters of Eularia that tells of an adventure Rolands haves sometime after Wizard and Glass and after Jericho Hill, but before we meet him in The Gunslinger. It is good, but it is just fun to travel with Roland. You can read this story at anytime it has no bearing on the series. It does play a roll in Stephen King and Peter Straub's book Black House. Not an important role necessarily, but a prominent one for a few pages. It is kind of fun if you have read Little Sisters of Eularia and then read Black House and get to the connection, but connections are always fun.

angerball said:
For me, the series peaked at Wizard and Glass. The others were readable, but they didn't have that "magic" that the others had, IMO.

Angerball, I completely agree. My favourites are The Drawing of the Three, The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass. I found Wolves of the Calla to be basically an unnecessary filler (though entertaining, I must say). I was very disappointed with the ending to the whole series, which I talked about in a different Dark Tower thread (and I can't remember which one now :mad: ).

Halo said:
I was very disappointed with the ending to the whole series, which I talked about in a different Dark Tower thread (and I can't remember which one now :mad: ).
My thread! :D

"King's Dark Tower Series - For those who have completed it *SPOILERS*"
(see 3rd post in this thread)

I know lots of people have said they didn't like the ending, but I thought it was perfect. Unexpected, but completely in keeping with the journey.

Just my $.04 (inflated due to gas and transport costs)

curiouswonder said:
I know lots of people have said they didn't like the ending, but I thought it was perfect. Unexpected, but completely in keeping with the journey.

Just my $.04 (inflated due to gas and transport costs)

I completely agree. I can't say it is how I would have wanted it to end, but it fits, it makes sense. And when you really think about it, it is the only way it could have ended.

Of course as King himself says while trying to beg the reader not to read the ending. It is not in the destination, but in the journey. And I thoroughly loved the journey.

Wizard & Glass question

Hello! I'm rereading Dark Tower IV... I'd forgotten how great it was until I picked it up and skimmed a few pages.
I have a question that only those who have completed it (or have come close to completing it) are able to answer.
Question Chapter II(last few pages of this chapter):
After Rhea proves Susan's honesty, Susan is about to leave the house.

Susan: And our business is done?
Rhea: Well...mayhap there's one more small thing...

Then she hypnotizes Susan...

Rhea: There's something ye'll do after he takes your virginity.

Now, what is it that she does again? I can't remember if it's something major like killing him, or if it's something small like chopping off her hair... :confused:
Thanks all!
I absolutely love this book. Before, I would only think about how great the Wastelands and The Dark Tower VII were, completely dismissing Wizard and Glass... But this one is so beautiful and romantic and tragic... :sigh:
I'm so happy to be reading it again. It's been two years to the month that I last read this.

Libra6Poe said:
Hello! I'm rereading Dark Tower IV... I'd forgotten how great it was until I picked it up and skimmed a few pages.
I have a question that only those who have completed it (or have come close to completing it) are able to answer.
Question Chapter II(last few pages of this chapter):
After Rhea proves Susan's honesty, Susan is about to leave the house.

Susan: And our business is done?
Rhea: Well...mayhap there's one more small thing...

Then she hypnotizes Susan...

Rhea: There's something ye'll do after he takes your virginity.

Now, what is it that she does again? I can't remember if it's something major like killing him, or if it's something small like chopping off her hair... :confused:
Thanks all!
I absolutely love this book. Before, I would only think about how great the Wastelands and The Dark Tower VII were, completely dismissing Wizard and Glass... But this one is so beautiful and romantic and tragic... :sigh:
I'm so happy to be reading it again. It's been two years to the month that I last read this.

It is
cutting her hair, nothing as major as killing. In fact you will remember Rhea saying how she couldn't kill him, but she could hurt how much he enjoyed her for a time.

Dang!. Just bought Wolves of the Calla. I'll throw caution to the wind and read out of order anyway.:D

Just picked up the first book in the series and hope to enjoy it. Was recommended to me by many. Even my English teacher at school ;).

~Josh

Back