• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: Just After Sunset

lenny nero

This one's coming in November. It's a collection of short stories, and while I've never been that big of a fan of short story collections, I've always enjoyed his and I'll probably pick this one up. It'll be the first new book of his that I've bought since the last volume of The Dark Tower series. Looking forward to it.

Hmm, definitely something to add to the Christmas list! Y'know, when it's actually time to make one ;).

Did you see the cover art? "Lazy" is an apt way to describe its appearance.

I brought up those "N" episodes in a previous thread:
http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/261369-post393.html

Libra's previous post said:
The episodes are based on King's original and previously unpublished story "N.", the tale of a psychiatrist who becomes the victim of the same mysterious and deadly obsession as his patient, and which will be included in his forthcoming collection of short stories Just After Sunset (Scribner, November 11, 2008) and published as a comic book miniseries by Marvel launching in 2009.

But I am looking forward to the new book. I liked Everything's Eventual
Has anyone seen these episodes yet?
They're pretty good. I like the voice acting.
http://www.simonsays.com/specials/stephen-king-nishere/?wsref=3&num=605

So, the first 10 episodes are up. I'm watching the 9th. The artwork, music, directing, voice acting are all fantastic and together they're creeping me out.

I recommend y'all check it out (see previous post for link).

I've watched the "N." episodes up to 8 so far.

I'm always up for short story collections though. Yet I still need to finish reading Everything's Eventual and Nightmares & Dreamscapes... :whistling:

Yeah, you know this book is gonna be crap.

I read half of these stories, and they were god awful.

King has lost it. He is not the King anymore--never was.

I've watched the "N." episodes up to 8 so far.

I'm always up for short story collections though. Yet I still need to finish reading Everything's Eventual and Nightmares & Dreamscapes... :whistling:

Do you like the episodes?

I haven't finished Everything's Eventual yet either. Before I finished it, I gave my copy to a friend who was moving away. :p Then I bought another copy and gave it to my boyfriend's mom in preparation for Cusack's 1408.
And I've never read anything from Nightmares & Dreamscapes but I've been meaning to.

This one's coming in November. It's a collection of short stories, and while I've never been that big of a fan of short story collections, I've always enjoyed his and I'll probably pick this one up. It'll be the first new book of his that I've bought since the last volume of The Dark Tower series. Looking forward to it.

I'm not sure I understand. If you don't normally like short stories and you haven't bought any of his books since Dark Tower, why would you be interested in this one?

I'm not a fan of short story collections either, unless its relevant to a series, like some of the "Legends" short stories.

I really can't bring myself to read another Stephen King book again for a while. They're all the same story to me. They're all about some small town with some kind of supernatural force harming people. It's gotten old. Dark Tower was a departure from this, and was a great series. I tried to go through and read the "Dark Tower connection" books, but after IT and Salem's Lot, I just couldn't take anymore. It's the same story told over and over again with variation. At least if I read the same story from another author it might be different, but every author has their own "style" and to read the same story over and over from the same guy.... I can't do it anymore. I just can't.

I packed up all my Stephen King books whether I read them or not (picked up a lot of $1 paperbacks over the years) and I'm putting them into storage. I just can't bring myself to read another one.

Mathius

I'm not sure I understand. If you don't normally like short stories and you haven't bought any of his books since Dark Tower, why would you be interested in this one?
Lenny wrote that he's always enjoyed Stephen King's short stories.

Hmm.. I too got burnt out on Stephen King for awhile. I think my last King book was maybe last year when I read The Cell.

I finished Just After Sunset last week.

As a devoted "Constant Reader" of Mr. King's works, I enjoyed the stories in this collection very much.

I would judge this to be some of his best work since the horrific incident a few years past.

Perhaps the thing I enjoyed most were the notes on each story at the end of the book. But don't cheat and read them first!!!

Highly recommended. Constant Readers will have a blast.

Cheers,
dan :)

I finished Just After Sunset last week.

As a devoted "Constant Reader" of Mr. King's works, I enjoyed the stories in this collection very much.

I would judge this to be some of his best work since the horrific incident a few years past.

Perhaps the thing I enjoyed most were the notes on each story at the end of the book. But don't cheat and read them first!!!

Highly recommended. Constant Readers will have a blast.

Cheers,
dan :)
Sounds great, it's nice to hear a good review. I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks!

I feel like this King book had a mixture of great stories and mediocre stories. There were some that just didn't do it for me, but others, like The Gingerbread Girl, N, and Stationary Bike were exceptional.

I read the first two stories (liked them) and then my daughter grabbed the book.

What's wrong with the cover? It has a nice hologram-type thing going on. Not as pretty as the Simon-Schuster covers, but not a cheapo either.

My favorite King covers are the ones for Desperation and The Regulators. When you lay the books side by side, they make one picture. I had the books for months before someone pointed that out to me.

I thought this was a mostly strong collection, although the final two tales weren't among King's best. Standouts include The Gingerbread Girl, Graduation Afternoon, Mute, and Rest Stop. I noticed that this book felt quieter than some of King's other short story collections. Except for one or two stories, there weren't any overly horrific or terrifying pieces. The horror was more subtle than usual, at least in my opinion. What does everyone else think?

Back