• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: Under the Dome

lenny nero

Coming November 10th:

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester's Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener's hand is severed as "the dome" comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when -- or if -- it will go away.

Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens -- town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician's assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing -- even murder -- to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn't just short. It's running out.

King has said that he started writing this one in 1983 and abandoned it after getting several hundred pages in. Looks like he's made up for it as it now runs 1,088 pages.

41m%2B13fauwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And I still say "Isn't that the plot for The Simpsons Movie?"

He claims to have never seen the Simpsons Movie. But since King did start this one in the 80's, maybe the Simpson’s Movie writers had some "inspiration".

Looking forward to this release.

I'm looking forward to this one, though King's latest stuff hasn't really impressed me. But I have a £45 gift voucher at WHSmith, so I may as well use it on this. :whistling:

The premise is almost the same as Robert McCammon's Stinger, which I liked enough to read twice. Check it out.
smile2.gif

I have high hopes for Under the Dome -- almost bought the $75 limited edition with the illustrations and the cards, but came to my senses.

I liked it but probably won't read it again in the next few years. It is a piece of work to get through but it offered exactly what I expected from a scenario like this. Meaning, I wasn't surprised by how the book was structured or plotwise. :)

I'm about a third of the way through it in audio book format. Some of the characters seem too contrived but I am enjoying the story nonetheless. It isn't too deep but it is a page turner.

I'm about a third of the way into this in audiobook format as well. Like most of King's work, this one grabs you and involves you in the characters to the point where you begin to root for the oppressed good guys and despise the bad guys, a neat trick of which he is the master. At some point you begin to lose focus on the whole back story as he spins his tale of the characters, but it's always there, just out of reach of an explanation. It is, as most of his work is, engaging, if not really Pulitzer ready.

I'm about a third of the way into this in audiobook format as well. Like most of King's work, this one grabs you and involves you in the characters to the point where you begin to root for the oppressed good guys and despise the bad guys, a neat trick of which he is the master.

I enjoy listening to the audio book when I am walking to and taking the metro. I am sure there were some times when I was at a scene in which the bad guys were pissing me off so much that people around me who saw my expression thought I was about ready to kill someone. :)

I guess that would be a downside. Lucky for me, I do most of my listening on commutes, or when on an airplane, so no, or not many, funny looks for me. I love audiobooks because it let's me do something other than stare at the scenery when driving or sitting on the plane, plus I can put dozens of books on my ipod and pack light.

A small time politician taking advantage of a bad situation to further his own selfish dreams, quite the hot button. Just can't wait to see what horrible fate King has in store for him, because he must, right?

Back