• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King

AquaBlue said:
Here are some dates of upcoming King material:

• August 29: The Dark Tower (US paperback)
  • October 24: Lisey's Story
  • October 31: Stephen King’s The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance
  • November: Cell (paperback)

Wow, US has to wait a long time for paperback! Is the waiting time usually this long?

I have merged a number of threads together here.

As far as US wait times for PB, it depends on if the publishers think they can bilk more money out of people by leaving it in HC longer. Look at TDVC. That got released in PB in May, just in time for the movie. I think the standard is six months to a year.

Is anyone planning on watching the Nightmares and Dreamscapes tonight on TNT? The advertisements said that it would be commercial free so this will make it easier to record. I have a hardcover copy of the book that the library was just going to trash, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

When it comes to short stories though I think my favorite is still "Children of the Corn".

Ah, forgot about the miniseries. I'll probably wait for the DVD release. Honestly, TNT's miniseries have been pretty weak: The Mists of Avalon and Salem's Lot were huge disappointments in my eyes.

I also love Stephen King. I've read many of his books, some very famous and some barely heard of. Sadly though, I find that with one child and another on the way I have no time to read. I don't know how long it's been since I was able to sit and read an entire book! Well, I've decided to go through and clean out my house somewhat. I have several Stephen King books, some are never read hard covers. I was trying to decide what to do witht them, so I decided to see if anyone is interested in buying them. Just let me know and I'll tell you which ones I have. Teena

The ones I have in hard cover are as follows:
Everything's Eventual (read some of the stories)
Salem's Lot (never read)
The Cell (never read)
The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon (read once)
Richard Bachman - The Regulators (read once)

paperback:
Cujo (read once)
Insomnia (read once)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes (never read)
Hearts in Atlantis (read once)
Dreamcatcher (read once)

The paperbacks show some signs of aging because they're paperbacks, but the hard covers are in excellent condition. My grandmother's always buying me books; I try to tell her that I don't have much time to read these days, but she insists and I don't want to hurt her feelings! Therefore, I end up with a bunch of books I don't end up reading. So, just let me know what you think. Teena

Speaking of King, here are the synopsis for each of the seven books of the Dark Tower series:

Possible SPOILERS below.

BOOK 1- SYNOPSIS
This heroic fantasy is set in a world of ominous landscape and macabre menace that is a dark mirror of our own. A spellbinding tale of good versus evil, it features one of Stephen King's most powerful creations - The Gunslinger, a haunting figure who embodies the qualities of a lone hero through the ages, from ancient myth to frontier western legend.

The Gunslinger's quest involves the pursuit of The Man in Black, a liaison with the sexually ravenous Alice, and a friendship with the kid from Earth called Jake. Both grippingly realistic and eerily dreamlike, here is stunning proof of Stephen King's storytelling sorcery.

BOOK 2- SYNOPSIS
While pursuing his quest for the Dark Tower through a world that is a nightmarishly distorted mirror image of our own, Roland, The Last Gunslinger, is drawn through a mysterious door that brings him into contemporary America.

Here he links forces with the defiant young Eddie Dean, and with the beautiful, brilliant, and brave Odetta Holmes, in a savage struggle against underworld evil and otherworldly enemies.

BOOK 3- SYNOPSIS
Roland Deschain and his followers discover the Path of the Beam, which will henceforth guide their journey toward the Dark Tower. Another gunslinger must be drawn from New York into Mid-World, but it is someone who has been there before, a boy who has died not once but twice and yet still lives. The ka-tet, four who are bound together by fate, must travel far in this novel, surviving not only the poisonous waste lands and the war-torn city of Lud that lies beyond, but also the rage of the train that provides them passage.

BOOK 4- SYNOPSIS
Roland, and his unlikely band of followers escaping from one world and slipping into the next. And it is there that Roland tells them a story, one that details his discovery of something even more elusive than the Dark Tower: love. But his romance with the beautiful and quixotic Susan Delgado also has its dangers, as her world is tom apart by war. Here is Roland's journey to his own past, to a time when valuable lessons awaited him, lessons of loyalty and betrayal, love and loss.

BOOK 5- SYNOPSIS
Roland Deschain and his ka-tet are bearing southeast through the forests of Mid-World, the almost timeless landscape that seems to stretch from the wreckage of civility that defined Roland's youth to the crimson chaos that seems the future's only promise.

heir path takes them to the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis, a tranquil valley community of farmers and ranchers on Mid-World's borderlands. Beyond the town, the rocky ground rises toward the hulking darkness of Thunderclap, the source of a terrible affliction that is slowly stealing the community's soul. One of the town's residents is Pere Callahan, a ruined priest who, like Susannah, Eddie, and Jake, passed through one of the portals that lead both into and out of Roland's world.

As Father Callahan tells the ka-tet the astonishing story of what happened following his shamed departure from Maine in 1977, his connection to the Dark Tower becomes clear, as does the danger facing a single red rose in a vacant lot off Second Avenue in midtown Manhattan. For Calla Bryn Sturgis, danger gathers in the east like a storm cloud. The Wolves of Thunderclap and their unspeakable depredation are coming. To resist them is to risk all, but these are odds the gunslingers are used to, and they can give the Calla-folken both courage andcunning. Their guns, however, will not be enough.

BOOK 6- SYNOPSIS
To give birth to her "chap," demon-mother Mia has usurped the body of Susannah Dean and used the power of Black Thirteen to transport to New York City in the summer of 1999. The city is strange to Susannah...and terrifying to the "daughter of none" who shares her body and mind.

Saving the Tower depends not only on rescuing Susannah but also on securing the vacant lot Calvin Tower owns before he loses it to the Sombra Corporation. Enlisting the aid of Manni senders, the remaining ka-tet climbs to the Doorway Cave...and discovers that magic has its own mind. It falls to the boy, the billy bumbler, and the fallen priest to find Susannah-Mia, who in a struggle to cope -- with each other and with an alien environment -- "go todash" to Castle Discordia on the border of End-World. In that forsaken place, Mia reveals her origins, her purpose, and her fierce desire to mother whatever creature the two of them have carried to term.

Eddie and Roland, meanwhile, tumble into western Maine in the summer of 1977, a world that should be idyllic but isn't. For one thing, it is real, and the bullets are flying. For another, it is inhabited by the author of a novel called Salem's Lot, a writer who turns out to be as shocked by them as they are by him.

BOOK 7- SYNOPSIS
Roland moves towards his ultimate goal, the tower itself-the center of all time, all place. But this time, as Roland's ka-tet moves through The Dixie Pig in New York City to Algul Siento in End-World, the losses come from within his circle of companions. His antagonists, from Mia's chap Mordred to the force of evil known as the Crimson King, grow more desperate. In the final stage of his search, Roland needs one more ally, a last key to gain entry to the tower.

I am a huge Steven King fan. I started reading his books about 15 years ago. Right now, there are only 2 that I do not have: Cycle of the Werewolf, and The Dark Tower 7. I just picked up Cell, and was wondering what it is like? Any comments?

I just picked up Cell, and was wondering what it is like? Any comments?

I thought it was okay. Not nearly as awful as The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, but he's written better novels in the past. I think the book had one of King's better endings, even though some fans didn't like it.

Vanilla said:
I am a huge Steven King fan. I started reading his books about 15 years ago. Right now, there are only 2 that I do not have: Cycle of the Werewolf, and The Dark Tower 7. I just picked up Cell, and was wondering what it is like? Any comments?
I liked Cell. Even though since Desperation, he's had people wondering through empty towns. I'll never look at my cell phone the same again:D

The Dark Tower Comics

Release dates:

Feb. 2007 (#1)
March 2007 (#2)
April 2007 (#3)
May 2007 (#4)
June 2007 (#5)
July 2007 (#6)
Aug. 2007 (#7)
Oct. 2007 (#1-7 HB)

awww.liljas_library.com_img_other_gunslinger_marvel_poster.jpg

awww.liljas_library.com_img_covers_dt_comic_1_large.jpg

The more I think of his stories, the more I find it to be utter crap.

He has nothing to say; no point to his story; no message; no substance but pure fluff.

LMFAO. :mad:

eyez0nme said:

He has nothing to say; no point to his story; no message; no substance but pure fluff.

It is hilarious to begin a rag on someone’s work for having no substance by saying "The more I think...", it would require little or no thought at all if this were true!;)

You were making a joke...right?

eyez0nme said:

If you look for that in your fiction then I feel sorry for you. Me, I like a good story starring characters who I root for. Stephen King delivers.

Back