• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King

:d

i'm on chapter 46 of the shinning :D it's cool just starting to get intresting hehe. has any body got the 6 stephen king classics with new covers for shinning/the stand/carrie/christine/misery/bag of bones they look so cool

i'm on chapter 46 of the shinning :D it's cool just starting to get intresting hehe. has any body got the 6 stephen king classics with new covers for shinning/the stand/carrie/christine/misery/bag of bones they look so cool

I'm around page 100 on that one. The beginning is really something else, just makes your hair stand on end. The whole scene with the little boy chasing the paper boat down to the drain...very sad...but rife with attention grabbing tension. I plan to dive back into It during the new year.

I'm around page 100 on that one. The beginning is really something else, just makes your hair stand on end. The whole scene with the little boy chasing the paper boat down to the drain...very sad...but rife with attention grabbing tension. I plan to dive back into It during the new year.

I tried reading IT sometime last year, or maybe even a little earlier, and it felt very dated.

Big King fan here; CELL *cough* SUCKS *cough*. :(

I posted in another thread here that Cell started off really good, but it declined at the point where the characters left the apartment to make it to the mysterious city they had heard about. There's only so long that a zombie story can be carried.

I tried reading IT sometime last year, or maybe even a little earlier, and it felt very dated.

I'll be looking for that when I pick it up again. That kind of thing doesn't annoy me though. Our main man Dosto included pop culture in his own works. In one of them, he mentioned a Punch and Judy show which for me, was a cool deal as I first learned about that throug the name of Punch, a cigar company. The owner of the brand changed the name of his brand to Punch in hopes of capitalizing on the name of the popular routine.

I returned Lisey's Story unread and got Running with Scissors instead. (I hope I haven't thrown away good money after bad.)

I am thinking that after "On Writing" I should have just saved my book dollars when it comes to King's offerings, and I'm actually an admirer of SK as a personality/writer (I once joined one of his forums for a short period, and the people there are actually no weirder than the rest of us are) but I do wish he would have had some kind of a literary awakening after he woke up in the hospital, having been "run over by a character out of one of his own novels".

King's an incredibly talented writer, but all that gore kind of detracts from (rather than adds to) his stories.

That's my opinion.

I kind of agree with you StillILearn. But in his longer books where he has a lot of character development and a really good story then I think some of the gore adds to the story. But some of his books are just gore for gores sake and dont have a lot of chracter development and very weak story line. I found the Cell was liek that and I was very disappointed. But not all of his books can be amazing.

His characters might be a lot better if he spent less time putting their rambling thoughts on the page and spent more effort looking at their actions.

I think that regarding King's novels, they are either very good or very bad: No in-betweens. That's my view for what it's worth. :rolleyes:

His older novels seem to be much better than his newer ones.

I am lost when it comes to King. I don't know if its just me, but I think he's selfish when it comes to expression. It seems as if he's writing to himself, and wouldn't care less to carry readers along. Only his Dark Tower series did fine with me.... but I long stopped trying any more of his book because of his high rating by the Media....

I'll be looking for that when I pick it up again. That kind of thing doesn't annoy me though. Our main man Dosto included pop culture in his own works. In one of them, he mentioned a Punch and Judy show which for me, was a cool deal as I first learned about that throug the name of Punch, a cigar company. The owner of the brand changed the name of his brand to Punch in hopes of capitalizing on the name of the popular routine.

Blasphemer! Mentioning Fyodor in Stevie's thread! :p

It's not necessarily pop-cultural references. IT just has no timelessness. Having difficulty quantifying exacly what I mean... More of a style thing I guess. Like when you listen to music from the 80s, the production qualities just aren't on par to with those of today. Sorry, it's the only way I can think of to put it. Reading Pynchon's V. right now which was published in 1963 but reading it doesn't indicate that. It could have been published yesterday. This is different than an author's ability to put you in a period or setting.

Blasphemer! Mentioning Fyodor in Stevie's thread! :p

Hey, I could've mentioned him and Dan Brown.;)

It's not necessarily pop-cultural references. IT just has no timelessness. Having difficulty quantifying exacly what I mean... More of a style thing I guess. Like when you listen to music from the 80s, the production qualities just aren't on par to with those of today. Sorry, it's the only way I can think of to put it. Reading Pynchon's V. right now which was published in 1963 but reading it doesn't indicate that. It could have been published yesterday. This is different than an author's ability to put you in a period or setting.

I get what you meaa here-I'll definitely be looking for the rubic's cube, the Devo video, the Tron game, not to mention the hair spray and Quiet Riot album when I read it when I get back from vacation.;)

I'm sorry to anyone here who enjoys reading King's work, but I despise the author. I think all of his stories are too drawn out. After awhile I forget what happened seventy five pages ago!

I also believe he has no true mind for horror. He seems to get a single scary idea, cannot elaborate, and then instead publishes the ramblings of a mad character and blood blood blood in its place. True horror is found in psychological thrillers, ones that juggle the fears of the mind with its own weaknesses. These catapult you into the true horror of the characters, sometimes to the point that you forget that it's just fiction.

And how he put himself in the Dark Tower series was horrible! Ugh! To me, he goes in the same genre as Mary Higgins Clark, Dean Koontz, Terry Goodkind, and John Grisham; overrated money hording addicts who could write IF THEY TOOK THE TIME AND EFFORT INSTEAD OF PUBLISHING A BOOK EVERY SIX MONTHS!

Hmmm, I think you should take the time to read his short stories. You haven't, have you..? Read first and then critique.

His characters might be a lot better if he spent less time putting their rambling thoughts on the page and spent more effort looking at their actions.

Stewart don't you think that someones thoughts create their character as much as their actions? Do your thoughts not affect how you are? :confused:

Back