• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephenie Meyer: Twilight & New Moon

Team Edward!

I'm rereading the entire series for the 3rd time now. Whenever I get particularly fed up with love I always return to these books for some reason. I guess it's a quick way to reinstall my faith in relationships without having to read some self-help book.

It seems hugely incongruent that Bella would be so eager to give up her whole mortal life for Edward, and become a blood thirsty vampire, but would be unwilling to marry him.

I'm actually in agreement with Bella here. I'm a hardcore commitmaphobe. I'd rather take a deathly bite on the neck than walk down the aisle.

I just read Eclipse yesterday (the whole thing). I read Twilight and New Moon each in about 2 days and Eclipse in 1. I am going to buy Breaking Dawn today, and I am sure I will finish it tomorrow.

I LOVE the series. I have never read any vampire books or anything before, but now I am more interested.

About being original. Really what do you read? ALL books have the same general outline just about. And it really makes me mad when people try to be "unoriginal" and then the ending is all wrong and the boy doesn't get the girl or whatever.

And I would definitely choose Edward.

Reviews are mixed ....

I just read one from a teenager blasting the book for being misogynistic. Here's a link to the review.

ww.standard.net/live/tx/144480/

I don't really buy the argument. Sounds a little like mommy ghost wrote parts of the review.

I can see how the books could be viewed as misogynistic. Bella is so dependent upon Edward and Jacob, it's like she's helpless. I also think too much of her self worth is derived from men, Edward in particular.

On a side note, I have decided that if I was Charlie, I would circle Bella with garlic and load my Glock with silver bullets. Perhaps I couldn't kill him with a clip of silver .45ACPs, but I bet I could put a damper on their love life. I don't care what kind of stone he's made of, 15 rounds to the unmentionables, and he is likely to lose interest in my daughter. Let him marry Alice if he wants a vampire wife.

I just finished reading Twilight, and am kinda neutral on it.

I started reading it a month or two ago when my co-worker let me borrow her copies of the first two books. I had made it 10 chapters in, all of which I found to be very VERY dull, before I gave up and stopped reading it.

I just wasn't into the book at all, and figured that if I let it sit around in my room for a while that my curiosity would get the better of me (since I HAD already started reading the book) and I'd give in and finish it.

The hype over the new movie, as well as my discovery of the "hate-base" I while reading comments on the first book on message boards like IMBD, got me interested enough to pick it up again and try to finish it. I managed to read 2-3 more chapters before getting bored with it again and putting it aside once more (I'd like to make note here, that I'm usually a rather fast reader when I find a book interesting and engrossing).

That was about a week ago. Today, I finally hit the good part of the book apparently...because I flew through Chapters 13-Epilouge no problem. The ending was pretty good.

I still find it sad though, that the author wasted 259 pages (out of 498 pages) before she finally kicked it up and started making her book interesting. I probably would have liked the book much more if all that junk that made up the first half of the book was compressed down to the vital information only...

I'm not sure what to think of Bella, because she really got on my nerves a lot in the beginning of the book. It didn't help that she came across as a Mary Sue. However, as the book went on...I did grow to like her a little more.

I did find Edward interesting, didn't care that he was this beautiful creature because that's how the modern vampire tends to be. I didn't mind the author's version of the vampire (the original vampire could walk in the sunlight if I remember correctly), and I found her idea of the "turning" to be very interesting.

I loved Alice and Emmet (they were both lovable and adorable to me, especially Alice), and liked Carlisle and Esme a lot as well. Jasper was interesting too, but I didn't care too much for Rosalie (she's a bit of a you-know-what, so I don't think we're supposed to like her).

I loved Jacob (despite how little we got to see of him), and look forward to reading more of him in the next books (I'm kind of afraid to read the next books though, because I've heard that his character development takes a negative turn...).

Jessica, Mike, and the other human friends Bella have were all okay. I'm curious to see if they play more important roles in the later books (aside from drooling over Bella/Edward).

The villain of the book was interesting, kinda wish there was a little more of him or that there was more of a fight with him at the end.

I liked Bella's parents, not much else there to say about them.

In conclusion. I liked the book, but thought that it was simply okay.

It in no way lived up to its annoying hype, but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as haters have made it out to be either.

I will be reading the next book, and have entertained the idea of even seeing the movie (for the record, I think Edward was horribly miscast).

I just finished reading Twilight, and am kinda neutral on it.

I started reading it a month or two ago when my co-worker let me borrow her copies of the first two books. I had made it 10 chapters in, all of which I found to be very VERY dull, before I gave up and stopped reading it.

I just wasn't into the book at all, and figured that if I let it sit around in my room for a while that my curiosity would get the better of me (since I HAD already started reading the book) and I'd give in and finish it.

The hype over the new movie, as well as my discovery of the "hate-base" I while reading comments on the first book on message boards like IMBD, got me interested enough to pick it up again and try to finish it. I managed to read 2-3 more chapters before getting bored with it again and putting it aside once more (I'd like to make note here, that I'm usually a rather fast reader when I find a book interesting and engrossing).

That was about a week ago. Today, I finally hit the good part of the book apparently...because I flew through Chapters 13-Epilouge no problem. The ending was pretty good.

I still find it sad though, that the author wasted 259 pages (out of 498 pages) before she finally kicked it up and started making her book interesting. I probably would have liked the book much more if all that junk that made up the first half of the book was compressed down to the vital information only...

I'm not sure what to think of Bella, because she really got on my nerves a lot in the beginning of the book. It didn't help that she came across as a Mary Sue. However, as the book went on...I did grow to like her a little more.

I did find Edward interesting, didn't care that he was this beautiful creature because that's how the modern vampire tends to be. I didn't mind the author's version of the vampire (the original vampire could walk in the sunlight if I remember correctly), and I found her idea of the "turning" to be very interesting.

I loved Alice and Emmet (they were both lovable and adorable to me, especially Alice), and liked Carlisle and Esme a lot as well. Jasper was interesting too, but I didn't care too much for Rosalie (she's a bit of a you-know-what, so I don't think we're supposed to like her).

I loved Jacob (despite how little we got to see of him), and look forward to reading more of him in the next books (I'm kind of afraid to read the next books though, because I've heard that his character development takes a negative turn...).

Jessica, Mike, and the other human friends Bella have were all okay. I'm curious to see if they play more important roles in the later books (aside from drooling over Bella/Edward).

The villain of the book was interesting, kinda wish there was a little more of him or that there was more of a fight with him at the end.

I liked Bella's parents, not much else there to say about them.

In conclusion. I liked the book, but thought that it was simply okay.

It in no way lived up to its annoying hype, but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as haters have made it out to be either.

I will be reading the next book, and have entertained the idea of even seeing the movie (for the record, I think Edward was horribly miscast).

Jacob's character is expanded a lot in the next book, which I found to be enjoyable - don't be afraid at all :). In my opinion, the second book was the best of the four.

As for the movie... well, just don't expect too much. Lines that were cheesy in the book are even cheesier on screen.

How did the movie handle the, uh...sunlight effect? (was it as silly as it sounded in the book?).

Actaully, I felt like they cut down on the silliness factor in the movie; It was very toned down compared to the book. I was expecting this big light show type deal and it wasn't that at all. The rest of that scene was kind of...well, crap, I thought. It was my least favorite part of the movie. But the baseball part was really cool. Also, James is well cast - he made a good scary guy.

I think I will watch the movie after all (I'm hoping that if I go later at night that the screaming tween fangirls won't be so bad).

After all, I did like the book (I might even consider buying my own copy of it someday, the paperback editions seem suprisingly cheap).

I've read the first 2 books and now reading Eclipse. Well, all I can say is I like it. I saw the movie last night, I'm disappointed, really. It didn't do justice.

I think I will watch the movie after all (I'm hoping that if I go later at night that the screaming tween fangirls won't be so bad).

After all, I did like the book (I might even consider buying my own copy of it someday, the paperback editions seem suprisingly cheap).

Don't be so sure about the screaming tween fangirls. I went to a later showing thinking I would escape that. I was wrong. What part of no talking do people not understand? Maybe it has calmed down some now that movie has been out for awhile, I don't know. I have to go see it again with a friend, oh joy! :D

Mandi-Chan - did you see the movie?

Mandi-Chan - did you see the movie?

Nah, I ended up skipping it. I'd rather wait for it to air on tv.

I did finish reading New Moon, thought it was much more interesting than Twilight was. A lot easier to get into...

Although, I wanted to slap Bella quite a few times! She's such a stupid and selfish character (at least she eventually fully realizes this at some point in the book), I just hope the squealing pre-teen fangirls realized while reading the book how horrible and foolish Bella was being a good chunk of the novel.

Edward came off as a bit selfish to me too, although not anywhere NEAR as bad as Bella was.

I love Jacob, don't know why he doesn't get that much love from the fanbase as a whole (from what I've seen anyway).

I must admit, even though I still don't think they come anywhere near deserving the hype and praise they've gotten, I am enjoying these books.

They are fun to read (unintentionally funny at parts, honestly funny and enjoyable at others), and I have really warmed up to them. You really shouldn't take them seriously.

I found New Moon possibly re-read worthy, and am planning on reading the next book in the series when it comes my way.

I just finished the fourth one and I must say I loved it/them!!!

I absolutley love Alice and Emmet - I love how emmet finds Bella so funny!
And Jasper is sweet as, and straying from the subject but his actor for the movie is heaps funny "I don't know they have brooms!"
Rosealie frustrated me a bit but I got where she was coming from and like her half a degree more when she was protecting bella in the last book.

Carlile and Esme are sweet but other than that...

And Edward and Bella I found hillarious, he thinks he isnt good enough, she thinks she isn't... it was funny as!!

Over all favourite books of 08 as well as the movie - which ive only seen 3 time so far!

What I really like about Stephanie Meyer is, she creates a whole new concept for the "baddies" such as vampires and parasites as the good characters. I find it refreshing.

Personally, I very much enjoyed Twilight. Even though there isn't much depth to the story and the characterization was typical. I am impressed the way it was written and somewhat, a connection was easily build up as I read.

Such a superficial story yet it never fails to capture the hearts of many readers is remarkable.

I guess how much you enjoy a book really depends on your expectations and perceptions towards it.

Lol. At first I didn't see the date you posted and was confused.

I just think Twilight and New Moon are okay books. I do think they are overrated. I've read better.

It is amazing to me how popular this author and her books are. I have a niece who just devours these books and has the movie, not to mention posters and shirts. I will say that on the good side, it has inspired her to read a lot more.

Back