• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephenie Meyer: Twilight & New Moon

I couldn't get into Twilight. The first time I read it it was okay. It was still okay the second time, but it got a bit worse. I tried reading a third and was sick of how bad the writing was. Those books are a feminist's worst nightmare. I guess it's an okay story, I just didn't like it.

Twilight is a page tuner, but there were many things that I disliked about it. Number one being Bella! I can't stand the fact that she is always the damsel in distress and ole Edward have to always come in save her. Not to mention she is not the brightest bulb in the box, if you know what I mean. I prefer more powerful female characters who don't have to always rely on a men.

Now don't let me start on New Moon!

Twilight is a page tuner, but there were many things that I disliked about it. Number one being Bella! I can't stand the fact that she is always the damsel in distress and ole Edward have to always come in save her. Not to mention she is not the brightest bulb in the box, if you know what I mean. I prefer more powerful female characters who don't have to always rely on a men.

Ugh, THANK you!!!!! Where are the actual worthwhile role models for our young girls? I find it abhorrent that my daughter is in love with this series, but far from me to censor her bookshelf....are there any better recommendations anyone can make for strong, "good" female protagonists?

How old is your daughter? I would recommend the Sookie Stackhouse series since those books are partly paranormal romance, but they're for adults.

How old is your daughter? I would recommend the Sookie Stackhouse series since those books are partly paranormal romance, but they're for adults.

She's 14....there's a few R ratings in her DVD collection. I'm all for something a little edgy or "adult," just not so painfully dependent and one dimensional as Bella.

I'm somewhat familiar with TrueBlood....how true to the Sookie books do they stick?

Whereas the show revolves around various characters, the novels are told from Sookie's perspective. They're also not as sexually explicit as "True Blood".

Thank you! We've been waiting on the Fairy Godmother Academy to come out, but something a little darker could be fun! Who wrote the Sookie Stackhouse books?

I've been wondering if there are any similarities between Bella and the author. :D

-

In the end I liked both of them and blame it on pregnancy hormones and not really wanting to read something that challenges me. :innocent:

I've been wondering if there are any similarities between Bella and the author. :D

-

In the end I liked both of them and blame it on pregnancy hormones and not really wanting to read something that challenges me. :innocent:

The worst is that if Bella wasn't a complete idiot, she would never be in much danger to begin with....wondering into the woods (where she knows all kinds of weird things happen) with strange men, coming moments away from committing suicide...it's one thing for a man to swoop in and save the girl (don't agree with it, but at least it's been the norm for a few centuries), but a girl TRYING to be saved just boils my blood.

Yes, that was my main issue with New Moon. It bugged me quite a bit how easily Meyer implemented Bella's depressions into the plot like it is something everyone experiences. At least she should have made the plot like the voices in Bella's head were actually Edward talking to her over distance. That would not have been that bad. But no, she made her crazy, suicidal. And her father quite blind doing nothing.

I'm not an expert on depression treatment but that girl certainly needs a dose. I wonder how many parents explain to their daughters such behavior is not normal. Sooner or later every girl (and boy) has to go through a separation or unreturned love and I certainly hope they don't take an example on how sadly the situation was handled in the book.

(I had a friend back in Germany, who tried to kill himself more then once because of an unreturned love. It was terrible, before and after for all people involved but he just couldn't be helped. :-( )

Agreed Bella definitely needs to be ursurped immediately. I hated the first and second books cause of her depression. The last two books I enjoyed because they were ACTION packed and less of the bella nonsense

Back