• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sterotyping people that read.

Don't pay attention to what others say - and there are others out there your age who love it, it just may take a while to find them!

I can't find anyone who reads hardly either. The books I read are books that most middle-aged people read. The kids at my school are to busy read Twilight to find more books out there,that are better than that piece of crap.

I'm not sure about you guys,but Harry Potter got me into reading.Then once I grew up(Around 13,now I'm 16) and got into more adult stuff I realized HP was crap.So,I set out to find more interesting books
Will you find kids my age reading:
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Cross by James Patterson
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

If kids read Murder mysteries,I am 85% sure it would at least get them into a genre and read books from the Mystery genre.

I can't find anyone who reads hardly either. The books I read are books that most middle-aged people read. The kids at my school are to busy read Twilight to find more books out there,that are better than that piece of crap.

While I agree with you about Twilight I think its a good thing when someone finds something that opens the door. If that's Twilight, so be it. After Twilight they might move on to other vampire/horror books and from there onto other themes.

Remember, many people think of Harry Potter the same way you think about Twilight. They are wrong, of course, but to each his own.:D

The same anathema hit me when I was a teenager. Friends would come over and see books piled up on my shelves. Their knee-jerk reaction was "YOU READ?!?" One said "I could NEVER sit down and read something."

My attitude always was: their loss. Literacy goes a long way. Intelligence is sorely underrated in the US and it shows pathetically more and more. Congrats for not being part of the herd. Read.

While I agree with you about Twilight I think its a good thing when someone finds something that opens the door. If that's Twilight, so be it. After Twilight they might move on to other vampire/horror books and from there onto other themes.

Remember, many people think of Harry Potter the same way you think about Twilight. They are wrong, of course, but to each his own.:D
Problem is,the kids at MY school(Not sure about yours),will read Twilight Saga over and over,and it will be the only book they read in their life.

Books like Eragon and Harry Potter opened many eyes to the literacy world.So far,I have not seen Twilight do that.

Most everyone I know well at least likes to read, then again I've been picky about the company I keep my entire life and non-readers don't tend to have much in common with me. I deal much better with people who have trouble reading than those who just don't like to read though. I've heard a few people proudly boast that they hadn't touched a book in years except for school purposes. That happened to me just this past Tuesday in fact, I had finished reading Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind and my professor asked if I had finished it over the weekend (I read before class starts most days) and a classmate piped up that he hadn't read anything he didn't have to read, to which I said that I love to read and it is my main form of entertainment. Video games are interesting for time and I fall asleep if watching TV alone and sports...yeah non-coordinated people don't tend to enjoy them much although being injured sometimes encourages others to leave me alone to read. I try to take up hobbies every now and again but I mostly just read. I long ago stopped caring if anyone thought I was a nerd, I know I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it!

I agree with what everyone has said so far. Reading is great, etc. I sort of wear the epithet 'nerd' with pride. Reading is nerdy, but that's OK. Nerdy things are good. I'm with alliterati, hooray for nerds!

I'm from one of the most backward states in Australia (itself a reasonably backward country) and I am frequently made fun of for reading. This extends to people yelling things from passing cars when they see I am carrying a book. Whatever. The joke's on them, I was carrying Dune! While entertaining it's hardly the most cerebral book out there. So, anyway, ignore them.

Unless you're reading Ayn Rand. If you're one of those teenagers who is having their mind expanded by Ayn Rand then you are a loser.

I agree with what everyone has said so far. Reading is great, etc. I sort of wear the epithet 'nerd' with pride. Reading is nerdy, but that's OK. Nerdy things are good. I'm with alliterati, hooray for nerds!

I'm from one of the most backward states in Australia (itself a reasonably backward country) and I am frequently made fun of for reading. This extends to people yelling things from passing cars when they see I am carrying a book. Whatever. The joke's on them, I was carrying Dune! While entertaining it's hardly the most cerebral book out there. So, anyway, ignore them.

Unless you're reading Ayn Rand. If you're one of those teenagers who is having their mind expanded by Ayn Rand then you are a loser.
Did you know when people call you a nerd,they are calling you smarter than them ;)?

People yell at you from cars?That never happened to me.

Also IMO.If kids read the books I read,they would like reading.I mean,they all love that CSI,NCIS,The Mentalist,Lie to Me stuff.But,I think detectives from the literature world are a whole lot better.

People yell at you from cars?That never happened to me.

Yeah, it was crazy. My parent's house is about 800 m from a a 2nd hand book shop. I was walking home with said copy of Dune and I got yelled at twice. Two separate, distinct, independent cars thought that the world would be a better place if they yelled anti-intellectual abuse at some dude walking along with a book.

It was actually a Dune omnibus with the first 3 novels in one. So it was really thick (even nerdier).

Anyway, I think I would have felt happier about it if I had have been carrying, like, Ulysses, or something. Then I would have deserved the charge of being a pretentious wanker. But Dune?!?! Come on!

What did they yell?Loser?

I would like to see what they would say if you were carrying The Stand,plus that Dune book.

Something like that. 'Nerd' too. Also that lovely word beginning with F used by awful people to refer to gay men, and by Victorian authors to refer to a bundle of twigs used as fuel for a fire.

Yeah, whatever, like only gay guys like reading. Have you ever heard of Shakespeare?!?!

Oh... wait... never mind.

Something like that. 'Nerd' too. Also that lovely word beginning with F used by awful people to refer to gay men, and by Victorian authors to refer to a bundle of twigs used as fuel for a fire.

Yeah, whatever, like only gay guys like reading. Have you ever heard of Shakespeare?!?!

Oh... wait... never mind.
What really gets me fired up is,do you know why kids do not like reading?Because of the crappy books the teachers read to them,also that A.R. crap.

I'm sure if the kids read American Psycho,they would like reading,or at least give it a chance.The board thinks we are too young for books like that though.Have you seen today's kids?I see 5 year old kids who watch Friday The 13th uncut.

Heh, yeah. I can't even remember what shit I had to read in school. The only good thing I ever studied (apart from Shakespeare, which everyone everywhere does, and no one really, myself included, appreciates) was A Clockwork Orange, and that was when I got to choose my own book.

It wasn't until about three years after school that I really got into reading. That was in spite of my high school English teacher's best efforts to squeeze every last ounce of literature admiration out of me.

My teacher wanted me to dump my books,and start appreciating people Chinua Achebe,The guy who wrote Faust,and also the guy who wrote The Odyssey.

I told her that they could not compare to people like Steve Alten,Micheal Conolly,and Jeff Lindsay.

My teacher wanted me to dump my books,and start appreciating people Chinua Achebe,The guy who wrote Faust,and also the guy who wrote The Odyssey.

I told her that they could not compare to people like Steve Alten,Micheal Conolly,and Jeff Lindsay.

So don't dump Alten, Conolly, and Lindsay; include Achebe, Marlow, Homer, and a host of others we can name:flowers:

I think nerdy looking kids just get made fun of in general. I read all the time and I've never been made fun of for it, but I'm not a nerdy looking kid so that's why. It's a tough world, if you look funny people will tear you up.

I get stereotyped as a wizard at my school. They think I love dragons and what not. But the ironic thing is that I read mystery and horror mostly. That shows you why people think readers are losers,because they think that only fantasy genre exists in books.

Too bad they were craptastic authors though.She thought my Authors were holding my love of other Authors.

You should definitely read what you enjoy. So go ahead and not like Goethe or Homer or whatever. But it's a silly idea to teach about thrillers in high school English. While entertaining (occasionally) what exactly do they teach you about literature?

My teacher made us study a Patricia Cornwell book and it was terrible. It was so derivative, and the characters were only there to serve as vessels to advance the done a million times before plot. No interesting development or relationships. The only thing keeping me there was the macabre curiosity of what zany way the serial killer would use to kill the next victim.

There is nothing wrong with liking a book like that, but books like that are not examples of serious literature worthy of study.

I get stereotyped as a wizard at my school. They think I love dragons and what not. But the ironic thing is that I read mystery and horror mostly. That shows you why people think readers are losers,because they think that only fantasy genre exists in books.
Now they just think you read the Dexter Morgan series. Ever since you read that killing scene in Dearly Devoted Dexter.You guys should have seen their faces.They just found out we read mostly Mystery,or what they call "Murder Books",after three years of us reading the genre.

Oh yeah,Rhyme you were was fixing to get to the part where Dexter was going to cut off the victims fingers,but time ran out.His teacher was glad he ran out of time.

You should definitely read what you enjoy. So go ahead and not like Goethe or Homer or whatever. But it's a silly idea to teach about thrillers in high school English. While entertaining (occasionally) what exactly do they teach you about literature?

My teacher made us study a Patricia Cornwell book and it was terrible. It was so derivative, and the characters were only there to serve as vessels to advance the done a million times before plot. No interesting development or relationships. The only thing keeping me there was the macabre curiosity of what zany way the serial killer would use to kill the next victim.

There is nothing wrong with liking a book like that, but books like that are not examples of serious literature worthy of study.
I heard that Cornwell was horrible,and romantic so don't give up on the Mystery genre just yet.Now if you read something like The Black Echo by Micheal Connolly,you would have liked it better.Also seeing how the killers killed from 3rd person POV is good,but it's even better if it's 1st person POV.

Back