• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stieg Larsson

What is there to say about him?

Wiki entry on Stieg Larsson
StiegLarsson.com
Another cool website

About to start The Girl with the dragon tattoo. what books have you folks read by him?

I've read all three, and found them well worth the bucks spent. You may find the first 100 pages or so a bit dense, but persevere!
I wish he'd have been able to write the projected 10 of the series. Wow, that would have been something to behold.

AIE: We've seen only the first two films so far. They are pretty close to the books, my only gripe is that peripheral characters and story lines are not developed. I admit that it'd have taken a lot more screen time to do so though.

There was a fourth installment in the works. I'm not sure if it's going to be completed as there were rights issues surrounding the manuscript.
I only read the first book in the series. Good read, but those opening pages were a chore to get through. Do the other books have this same problem?

No Anamnesis, I don't recall any problem initially, there were patches in the second and third books that were sometimes a little "come on, let's get this done" for me. But all in all, well done. At the time I thought it was his reporters zeal for detail taking over a bit. :)

I enjoyed the first book more than the second. The second, IMO, suffered a bit from following The Girl around *too* closely. If he had started her sorting her silverware, I was going to call it quits...

I've seen the first movie. It was a good adaptation of the book, I thought, and I plan to watch the second movie.

I'll be grabbing the 3rd book from the library soon.

-David

I enjoyed the first book more than the second. The second, IMO, suffered a bit from following The Girl around *too* closely. If he had started her sorting her silverware, I was going to call it quits...

I've seen the first movie. It was a good adaptation of the book, I thought, and I plan to watch the second movie.

I'll be grabbing the 3rd book from the library soon.

-David
I think I enjoyed the second and third books more because he followed Salander around so closely. I found her to be a fascinating character. Regarding the first book.....
The first one slowed me down, mostly because I kept thinking that Lisabeth was the missing Harriet! I kept looking for a connection there. Threw me off completely! :D

I only read the first book in the series. Good read, but those opening pages were a chore to get through. Do the other books have this same problem?

Boy, you weren't kidding! I held out though and now it has been very much worth it. After chapter 13, the action picks up quick.

Hmmm. Someobdy lent me GWTDT and I put it down after 45 pages. Maybe I should take another crack at it.

I think I enjoyed the second and third books more because he followed Salander around so closely. I found her to be a fascinating character. Regarding the first book.....
The first one slowed me down, mostly because I kept thinking that Lisabeth was the missing Harriet! I kept looking for a connection there. Threw me off completely! :D

I have to admit, I couldn't have been more surprised about the fact that
Harriet was alive and well playing with sheep.
After Larsson, we will no longer assume the butler did it. Instead, we will assume that
the right wing lunatic nazi serial rapist/murderer
did it. About to start the second book this afternoon with a good cup of coffee.

David-I look forward to seeing if I agree with your assessment as we get a closer look at Lisbeth. :whistling::lol::flowers:

Just finished GWTDT. I wish I had been warned about how to post spoilers in here because I highlighted and read SFG's post about Harriet so I knew what Blomkvist was going to find on the ranch in Australia.

I enjoyed it none the less except for one thing. I dislike authors injecting their political bias into their novels. Larson is not as bad as Vince Flynn is, or maybe I just feel that way because I lean left myself. All capitalists are not bad guys, all companies are not evil entities and not all financiers are scum. Well, maybe all financiers are scum.

LOL! As is my tradition after reading a book, I went to Amazon to read the reviews. Right now there are 1020 5 star reviews adn 320 1 star reviews. And I see the same pattern with these one-star fairies that I see in all of them. They pick a few bad points in the book and use that to slam the entire book. One reviewer said that the book could have had about 400 pages cut out of it and still get the point across. Well, they were of course exagerating, but I agree there was a lot of tedious detail in there. But in now way was this a one star book.

What I find most curious about it though is how an agent managed to get through the tedium in the first half of the book and decide that this was a book that could really do well. The agent or editor must have been just as bored with it as anyone but decided to take it as it was anyway.

I thought it was OK but no more than that, not, by far, as great as some people make it out to be. The first half is tedious to say the very least, I was well impressed with myself for sticking with it, the latter half is exciting, yes, but in some ways predictable and I didn't quite like the style in which the book is written. It was nice to have something easy to read though after all the modernist classics.

I thought it was OK but no more than that, not, by far, as great as some people make it out to be. The first half is tedious to say the very least, I was well impressed with myself for sticking with it, the latter half is exciting, yes, but in some ways predictable and I didn't quite like the style in which the book is written. It was nice to have something easy to read though after all the modernist classics.

Spot on everything.

I enjoyed it none the less except for one thing. I dislike authors injecting their political bias into their novels. Larson is not as bad as Vince Flynn is, or maybe I just feel that way because I lean left myself. All capitalists are not bad guys, all companies are not evil entities and not all financiers are scum. Well, maybe all financiers are scum.

It is interesting to read someone else's POV of the world, even if one doesn't agree with it. If only to learn the processes by which they understand the world around them, thus explaining their reactions to the world.
That said, I've read one or two of Flynn's books. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to have read some of the posts. I've started the 1st book now. It's a bit of monotonic as you stated. But, will keep trudging til I see excitement as many of you said.

I'm still not sure as to whether or not I should pick up parts two and three as I wasn't particularly pleased with part one.

I'm still not sure as to whether or not I should pick up parts two and three as I wasn't particularly pleased with part one.

Well, life is too short to read stuff that your syllabus doesn't require or that you don't want to read.

Back