• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Storyteller vs Writer...

-Carlos-

In your own personal view, what is the difference between a Storyteller and a Writer? Hmm? :whistling:

My angle:

A Storyteller: John Grisham, Steven King, etc.
A Writer: Kazuo Ishiguro, Earnest Hemingway, etc.

Are we all on the same page? No?? Then what's your thinking on the matter?

I guess when looking at novels, a storyteller would be someone who writes in first person and a writer would be more of a narrator who writes from everyone's perspective. That said, I don't really think they (the words) are mutually exclusive.

Isn't Dostoevsky so beloved because, even though he's intellectually dense, at the end of the day he wrote really exciting stories about murderers, gamblers and terrorists?

Story writers are best.
Heteronym is spot on even if i would have picked Tolstoy as an exemple.
Story tellers are best when very young,before bed,Mum....

I agree with you, AquaBlue. I've always felt true writers write for the sake of writing... and write some pretty amazing prose and/or poetry. Storytellers might not be as technically skilled but are more interesting to read.

I consider this a false dichotomy. Most good writers like to tell superb stories. Only an awkward few, like James Joyce or Samuel Beckett, have written plotless, characterless novels.

I agree, you definitely need both skills if you are going to write a book. But most authors are better at one than the other.

But most authors are better at one than the other.

So can someone define exactly what one is as opposed to the other, since everyone seems to have their own ideas about it? And what's the point of separating the two in the first place?

I've never thought of it much as separating the two really... as long as a book is enjoyable and not painful to read, mission accomplished!

My idea of a storyteller is Clive Cussler, for example. His books are interesting and exciting, but his prose probably wouldn't win his any literary prizes.

A writer I've always admired is Pearl Buck. She can make mundane daily chores so gripping.

All that being said, Clive Cussler is a very good writer - certainly better than me, and Pearl Buck tells some amazing stories.

Aqua is not going to answer you.Never does.Is a landmine type of guy.

The all debat is more betwin commercial-popular writing and literature.A more valid question would be "can literature be commercial"?

As for Clive Cussler i read only one but i find that one always knows what coming in the next ten pages,no surprise there.A Dirk pitt and the Deep encounter are names more suitable for Erotic fiction,i find.
My own reading sin is Bernard Cornwell,i think i read most of his books but i sure won't boast of it in certain circles.

The original post seems to be looking for a dismissive word to contrast with real writers who have a literary style: Hemingway was a writer; King is just a storyteller. That's quite a put-down of the honorable art of storytelling, and also doesn't recognize the importance of storytelling in the highest literary writing.

But I think there are writers who have more of a storytelling personality that they let into the atmosphere in their writing. Some authors have more of a presence in their work--I just get more of a sense that I'm listening to someone telling the story, rather than someone crafting words on paper. There's a difference in the sound of the reading.

Mark Twain seems very present in his writing. Remains of the Day is a great work, but it feels more like the author was stepping back and making things happen from the shadows, which I think works well for the somewhat removed life the narrator is recalling.

The original post seems to be looking for a dismissive word to contrast with real writers who have a literary style: Hemingway was a writer; King is just a storyteller. That's quite a put-down of the honorable art of storytelling, and also doesn't recognize the importance of storytelling in the highest literary writing.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

It's always seemed to me that while good writing and good storytelling often go hand in hand, they can be seperated. Reading a good story is a higher priority to me than reading beautiful prose. It's probably why I'm not very fond of poetry. But, that being said, it takes a good writer to bring a story to it's full potential. It is kind of sad to read a poorly written book whose basic plot is actually pretty good.

This may seem like I'm simplifying things but I think there's a test to tell the distinction. If you come away wanting to tell someone the plot line of a book it's storytelling. On the other hand if you come away wanting to quote sentences or passages it's the work of a writer.

With storytelling it's the details of what's happened, a sequence of events, vignettes, or scenes that's important. With a writer you're quoting it for the language, and emotion conveyed.

This may seem like I'm simplifying things but I think there's a test to tell the distinction. If you come away wanting to tell someone the plot line of a book it's storytelling. On the other hand if you come away wanting to quote sentences or passages it's the work of a writer.

With storytelling it's the details of what's happened, a sequence of events, vignettes, or scenes that's important. With a writer you're quoting it for the language, and emotion conveyed.

That's too simple of an answer to be the correct answer. :innocent:

How is The Remains of the Day not a great story, beautifully told?

I never said that a Writer is not a fine storyteller.

For me it is quality that differentiates a Writer from a Storyteller. Now either can be both, yes, but if I were to say which one I would pass the time reading (not to mention buying- $$$), it would be the quality of the writing over all else- The Writer. :whistling:

Aqua is not going to answer you.Never does.Is a landmine type of guy.

The all debat is more betwin commercial-popular writing and literature.A more valid question would be "can literature be commercial"?

As for Clive Cussler i read only one but i find that one always knows what coming in the next ten pages,no surprise there.A Dirk pitt and the Deep encounter are names more suitable for Erotic fiction,i find.
My own reading sin is Bernard Cornwell,i think i read most of his books but i sure won't boast of it in certain circles.

I was not around to read his/her question. Peace. :)

Back