• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Strange Things Part II. Role Play

Poppy1

When Dermut and Poppy returned to the village with the captive Scabio in tow, they were given a heroes welcome. A party was held in their honour, good food and ale flowed freely and they recalled the many adventures they'd encountered on their journey.
Two of their good friends, Ahren and Leah were fascinated by tales of the land on the other side of the Ogres cave. Would it be possible for them to go exploring this different realm?
Dermut gave them a map with directions to the cave entrance, taught them how to call down the Griffon and lent them their invisibility capes.
Ahren and Leah had their own

However, the weather was not in their favour and the idea was muted. Not to mention the probability of chaffing.

They had traveled to many places but never even heard of the strange land beyond, and they were very curious of this new land with the blood red sun and yellow sky. They studied the map and decided to go through with their plans and visit this so called wonderland. These two were very ambitious and wanted to see all this world had to offer, that world to. So they took the map with them and set out to see the bold new world and everything it had to offer.
Before they went too far they ran into a

man with a hot-air balloon.
"Wow," said Leah, "I wonder if he could fly us over the cave and into the land of Cadfael?" (for that was the name of the strange yellow-skied, red sunned realm.)
"It'll cost ya," said the balloon man, "What's it worth to ya's?"
"Well, we haven't got much to spare, but would you be interested in my gold Rolex?" asked Ahren.
"That'll have to do I guess." sighed the man. "It gets pretty cold up there - are you prepared?"
"Lucky we opted for the thermals then, isn't it? Glad we didn't take Sirmyk's advice." said Ahren.
Soon they were sailing high above

the Snake Forrest. The wind carried them north. The mountain with the "rabbit hole" to this new land was in the distence. The wind seemed to carry them straight to the cave entrance. Soon they were off the balloom and at the enterance. They were smart to bring a lamp with them. It was a magical glass bulb that once rubbed it would light up for six hours. They brought two in case they needed it, but that second was really for the trip back. They entered the cave not knowing what awated them.

They knew the ogre had been destroyed but who could tell what other creatures might now be dwelling in the cave.
Ahren led the way holding the lamp high. It threw weird flickering shadows on the cave walls, illuminating majestic stalagmites and stalactites. Water dripped, making strange echoey noises and their foot-steps reverberated loudly.
Suddenly a blood-curdling sound

rang loud, echoed, and reverberated, scaring Ahren and Leah. It was a dragon call. Ahren thought it might be the dragons mate checking for its nestmate, and he could tell it was an angry bull. "I kow dragons, and I know the have a great sense of smell." said Ahren. "They wouldn't have a problem finding us with our "cloaks" on.
Both had bows and arrows but a dragon was too much for them. So they decided to stake out and hope he'd leave so they camped out for a couple hours, then moved on in silence.

Unbeknown to Ahren, Leah usually had a special affinity with dragons, having once raised a baby dragon from an egg. She possessed a magical dragon jewel that shone with beautiful iridescent colours which they found irresistible. She showed it to Ahren and told him it may offer some protection if they came upon the dragons.
They set forth with more confidence and weren't too worried when they stumbled on the resting pair. The bull dragon reared to it's feet, Leah quickly held out the dragon jewel, there was an almighty roar, a flash of flame and everything went black.

She had been opened a dragon seal and a door popped open. A box was inside. Aren opened the box and saw two swords.

These were no ordinary swords. They were encrusted with many precious jewels, at the centre of which was a strange cat's eye. However, the pair had no time to appreciate their finer details.
What they didn't realise was that although these swords would be useless against such large and fierce dragons, they had the ability to deflect flames.
When the two dragons roared and breathed fire, Ahren and Leah held up the swords to protect themselves and this ricocheted the flames straight back at the dragons causing bad singeing and the equivilent of arc-eye.
With the dragons temporarily blinded, the two were able to make a run for it and finally escaped from the gloomy cave.
Coming out into the bright red sun-light and after their eyes adjusted, they were stunned to see an amazing vista opening before them.

Ahren instantly thought of the griffon call. They needed a savior, and griffon were faster than a bulking dragon.
in the distence Leah spotted a large bird flying real fast. It was a golden griffon with a double saddle on it. Volta had forseen their arrival and sent help.
The dragons came out of the cave just as the griffon swept up the two adventurers and took off to the sky. The bird was trained to take them back to Volta.
They flew on Karegins back. This massive beast had fifty foot wingspan. He was

a magnigicent creature and quickly soared away from the furious dragons.
The red sun and yellow sky cast an unusual sepia coloured hue to the scenery below. They felt as if they were flying through a very old-fashioned photogragh.
As they flew on, the sun set amidst a glorious spectacle of colour and seven blue moons appeared.

Karegin could see quite well in the dark and took them straight to Volta's treehouse.
Volta owned a few griffons and decided to give Karegin to the dynamic duo for their trip. "please bring him back" is all he said about that.
They stayed the night discussing their journey ahead into the unknown. Volta told them of the hot-spots and landmarks they might want to see; there was a Opolos tree to the west a couple miles with a city of wizards it was a massive tree.

The Opolos tree stood as tall as a sky-scraper and was almost as wide. The wizards lived in a hierarchy with the Master Wizard residing at the top and moved down to novice wizards in the lower branches.
Karegin flew Ahren and Leah to the Wizard City and alighted some distance from the base so he didn't catch his wings in the branches.
The pair approached with trepidation, as the tree was guarded by a particuarly nasty looking troll, but they had a letter of introduction from Volta so felt this should get them in to see the Master Wizard.

The troll couldn't read but he recognised Volta's mark on the letter.
Ahren and Leah had never seen such a tree of this size before. It had blue leaves and red fruit on its branches. The wizards didn't eat the fruit for it was poisonous. Leah grabed one and started eating it. A moment later she felt light-headed and started getting hot. The forbidden fruit, as they call it, looked harmless but packed a punch like hard liquor. Leah got drunk off it. It didnt kill her. "Ahren" she said "you gotta try this!"

But Ahren was made of sterner stuff. He saw the effect it had on Leah and gave her a good lecture.
"We didn't make this journey and come this far for you to start tripping off on some strange hallucinogenic berries. They're very addictive you know, and you'll eventually go mad. If you eat any more, I'm going to leave you behind."
This had a sobering effect on Leah. She curled up in a ball and went to sleep on a tree branch.

When Leah woke she started crying.
"What you cryin' for?," Ahren said. "I didn't mean to upset you."
"No," she said "My rump hurts."
"Let me take a look at it."
Ahren looked and saw a bulge and felt it. "I'm sorry," he said "but I have to have a better look."
He eased her pants down and giggled.
"What is it?," she said. "is it a sore?"
"No, it seems you've grown a tail."
"Great," she said sarcastically. "I'm turning into a monkey! I hope it can be fixed" They went to the market looking for a cure.

All through the market, there were loud guffaws and shouted insults at Leah's appearance. No-one had ever seen a human with a tail before. It took many inquiries at different shops to finally find some-one who sold magic tail-shrinking powder. Leah gulped it down without reading the instructions first, which had the unfortunate effect of

making one grow facial hair. An hour later the tail was gone but now she had a mustache and sideburns. She needed only shave once and it'd be gone for good.
They went to visit the headmaster. The door opened just as they reached. A tall, slender wizard in white garb stepped out. "I've been expecting you," he said. "My name is Whatson, we have few visitors from your land. Please come in." They followed him into his study, which was messy and had a thick coat of dust on everything except his crystal ball.

Back