• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: February 2009 Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we can do a mystery-themed month? If so, my nomination is Roman Blood by Stephen Saylor.

For anyone interested, here's the synopsis (courtesy of B&N.com):

Elena asks that you come to the House of Swans at once . . . Compelled by this message, the wealthy, sybaritic Sextus Roscius goes not to his harlot, but to his doom—savagely murdered by unknown assassins. In the unseasonable heat of a spring morning in 80 B.C., Gordianus the Finder is summoned to the house of Cicero, a young advocate staking his reputation on this case. The charge is patricide; the motive, a son's greed. The punishment, rooted deep in Roman tradition, is horrific beyond imagining.

Gordianus's investigation takes him through the city's raucous, pungent streets and deep into urban Umbria, unraveling layers of deceit, twisted passions, and murderous desperation. From pompous, rouged nobles to wily slaves to citizens of seemingly simple virtue, the case becomes a political nightmare. As the defense proceeds toward a devastating confrontation in the Forum, one man's fate may be threaten the very leaders of Rome itself.

A good mystery would be a great idea,something different.Keep the suggestions coming.

I agree with the mystery-themed month. I would like to suggest any book by Agatha Christie, since she is one of my favorite authors.

I haven't read any to recommend,at least I think I haven't,so I will just wait and see what is suggested.

G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday
Dorothy Sayers, Murder Must Advertise

I would like to read The Man Who Was Thursday. From the synopsis I read it seams like an interesting story.
Murder Must Advertise I have already read and enjoyed it very much.

G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday
Dorothy Sayers, Murder Must Advertise

Both sound good. I haven't read any Chesterton so this would get me started.
The Sayers book not only has a mystery, it has a wonderful portrait of an advertising agency and its stunts.

Mystery ?

Sorry but I am not very good at genres.
When you say "mystery" do you think "detective novels"?

I might. It depends on the choice.
I haven't read anything like that for a long time. I think it was "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" many years ago.

I might. It depends on the choice.
I haven't read anything like that for a long time. I think it was "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" many years ago.

I haven't read anything like that either,but it would be a good change.

If you come up with anything go ahead and post it.

I don't have any new suggestions, but I would also like to read "The Man Who Was Thursday". Sounds interesting (and about 100 pages;)).

Well, I hope I will squeeze at least one more (of the same size) in January. It’s a long Canadian winter :)
But don’t count on me during the summer months.

I hope it's not as bad as last year.

You can participate whenever you want.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back