• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions:March 2009:Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantasy works for me, but I wouldn't know what author or title to suggest for modern fantasy books. Which proves that I'm in need of some new reading material. ;)

The only fantasy I have read is Julliet Marilier's The Dark mirror,and it's part of a trilogy,so there goes that .lol

I haven't read that trilogy, but I did enjoy her Sevenwaters books.

Hmm, maybe Clive Barker's Weaveworld or Imajica? Those were good fantasy books.

Fantasy (I think): The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula LeGuin

African-American: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

How about some titles I can check out.Fantasy Moon might like the idea too.

Well . . .

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

Threshold by Caitlin R. Kiernan

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong

Forests of the Heart by Charles de Lint

I'm not sure if this was a BOTM choice already, but Neil Gaiman's American Gods is a fairly well-known modern fantasy title.

Well . . .

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

Threshold by Caitlin R. Kiernan

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong

Forests of the Heart by Charles de Lint

I'm not sure if this was a BOTM choice already, but Neil Gaiman's American Gods is a fairly well-known modern fantasy title.
Thanks,I will look over them.

Fantasy (I think): The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula LeGuin
African-American: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Silverseason,this sounds like a good read even if not picked.It delves into psychiatry,dreams and reality.Have you read it?

I am an admirer of Ursula LeGuin and have read most of her books. I especially like The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness. Both sit somewhere in the border between science fiction and imaginative fantasy.

I recommended The Lathe of Heaven because, although it says a lot, it is short and some of our members have trouble finding time for the longer selections.

I am an admirer of Ursula LeGuin and have read most of her books. I especially like The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness. Both sit somewhere in the border between science fiction and imaginative fantasy.

I recommended The Lathe of Heaven because, although it says a lot, it is short and some of our members have trouble finding time for the longer selections.

I think it's also if someone is enjoying the read,Uncle Tom's Cabin though long,I finished it quickly because I liked it.Tender in the Night took longer.

The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko was recommended to me by a co-worker, someone who reads fantasy exclusively. Although I think it might be a series, not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back