• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Summer 2010: Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Brothers Karamazov

I am here,Book VIII- Mitya- Chapter 3.

Mitya has lost his mind.Jealousy has taken over and nothing else matters.Is it really love?I doubt it,I think it's more because of his father.The story just seems to escalade and put suspicion on Mitya.

I believe it's Madam Hohlokov that he is talking to as he has blood on his hands, pun not intended; the scene is just amazing in how he carries on like nothing has ever happened. His frantic speech and movement in running to various people clearly showed his mania. It was sad to read the part about the big party he threw in another town after the dismissal of the Polish officers. His regret over Gregory comes out very intensely in that episode.

I believe it's Madam Hohlokov that he is talking to as he has blood on his hands, pun not intended; the scene is just amazing in how he carries on like nothing has ever happened. His frantic speech and movement in running to various people clearly showed his mania. It was sad to read the part about the big party he threw in another town after the dismissal of the Polish officers. His regret over Gregory comes out very intensely in that episode.

Madam Khokhlakov was in her own little world with the gold mines,trying to save him,yes it showed his mania,especially where she kept telling him about the gold mines,and he was begging,I thought he was going to attack her out of desperation and her rambling on.

Dmitri has a "perfect storm" of circumstances that really work against him in the F.K. death investigation. Of course,
Smerdyakov was the killer
but he felt he had the right do do that based on Ivan leaving the house. Ivan's "everything is lawful" relativism is what empowered
Smerdyakov
to kill F.K. Ivan subsequently going mad to me either shows how the children ascribed to bad philosophies of living and reaped the consequences of their actions. Dostoyevsky wasn't a devout Christian, but this last half of the book might as well have been written by C.S. Lewis. It is certainly unflattering to relativists and their modern cousins.

Libra-have you reached the part dealing with Kolya yet? For a 14 year old, he is rascally little thing. The story about Illusha was just heartbreaking, definitely an interesting tale of forgiveness and trying to make right in this world.

Ilyusha’s story was heartbreaking,his father begging the doctor,it was very hard to read and very emotional.

Kolya was very mature in ways,was the dog really the one he had before or did he lie to Ilyusha on his deathbed? I got mixed up.

All the Boys(children) chapters were my favorite ones,Kolya feeling that Alyosha spoke to him as an equal I think changed him.

I think these chapters had to do ,and dealt with children's sufferings,like Dostoevsky's notes had mentioned.How can someone have faith when they see children suffering.

Ivan and his "visitor",more like a long talk with his conscious?

Katerina and Mitya,was a love/ hate relationship? I am pretty sure she was going to help him escape in the end.There is this saying,"We can't stand to be together,we can't stand to be apart."

is it the ideal novel ?

:star4:
On reading brothers Karamazov, I felt I was reading the ideal novel. Ideal, technically that is. There is almost no character in this book, to which it's apropriate prominence has not been given- let it be Kuzma Samsonov or Kolya Krassotkin & similar secondary or even not so importanlt characters that make the novel complete. True that it results in a volume in excess of 1200 pages, but it is not a trying read for it's size. The most trying, but probably the philosophy rich parts concern with farther Zosima (& yet am not a Christian, but a Buddhist). The parts which captivated me most was the speeches by the prosecution & the defence at the trial. Another part I loved was Smerdyakov's confession & the subsequent visit of "the devil". The way that Dostoevsky has nurtured each character, Fyodor Pavlovitch the brute, Ivan the philosophical dark horse, the sweet Alyosha, the hot blooded Mitya, the proud & arrogant Katerina Ivanovna, the almost silly Madame Khohlakov, the almost insanely clever Smerdyakov, the selfish & ambitious Rakitin, is most impressive. It is almost as if we could predict what each character would next, as the author has nurtured each character. Yet, there is one who is unpredictable- Grushenka! And I felt the character of Grushenka, for all the centerstage she holds, is not revealed sufficiently. Maybe that is what carries the book till the end. (Would love to hear the views of others on this.)
To come to the plot: well the murder of Fyodor Pavlovitch almost reminded me of an Agatha Christie book, only that the murder is but one important segment, grain or flavour in a book which is rich with many (the reason why Christie books cannot be termed classics for all their ingenious plots).
It is the type of book that one will wander many times over one's life, although it may not be for a complete re-read, but parts. Maybe reading parts of epics (when repeating) makes sense, for one mayn't grasp all that is there to be grasped in a whole reading, given the vastness of the volume. Glad I took the effort (& the 2 1/2 months or so) to read this book.

I think you guys and gals have said it all, I just want to encourage all the members for their devoted participation in this. It is really a good initiative and I think I really like it.

Back