• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Super Heros or Just Heros?

Do you have to have Super Powers to be a Super Hero/villian

• Yes, it is required that you have Super Powers to be a Super Hero/villian

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • no, you don't

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters

gameguy02004

My friend and I were having an argument...
To be a Super Hero/villain is it required that you have Super Powers. I say no. I mean look at Batman, Joker, and Doctor Octopus. Just because they don't have powers, only means they arn't mede-humans (i asked my bio teacher and thats what he said).
Pls post your opinions.

Batman is one of the best superheros, and that is because he isn't invincible. He's just an obsessive uberfocused genius with lots of money.

Yes, but Batman uses his powers for good! :p

Actually, Bill Gates donates a LOT of money to his pet cause, improving health in Africa.

Maybe not all are quite classic "Superheros"

Judge Dredd: One mean SOB. Drokk!
Conan: Just what a barbarian should be.
The Phantom: Family bussiness over a few generations.
What about Robin?: Why does Batman have to have all the glory?

I'll try and think of some more

Well, I know what you mean, and my answer to the question is "no". But to get all philosophical on it, I would say that while Batman doesn't have supernatural powers, he does have superior powers, in that his combination of natural genius, physical and mental training, drive and honor (and money!) is beyond the reach of real people. Similar thing with, say, Sherlock Holmes: his deductive abilities aren't described as supernatural in origin, but still you just know that no real person could do what he does. Sherlock Holmes -- superhero! :D

hte

there's a difference between a superhero and a hero... Kaine from Negation and Arwyn from Sojourn have no powers, but they are heros
batman..... dunno, depends on your precise definition of superhero(but there is no way he could beat spider-man)

I'm going to be picky about this. To be a superhero you need a superpower. Batman is a hero, or rather an antihero, but not a superhero. Though, as I understand it, recently they've started changing that so any heroes with no powers are actually meta-humans, or some such nonsense. Which basically means they're the next stage in human evolution. Faster, stronger, smarter, better reflexes. That sort of thing. But I'm a bit of a purist and I'd rather think of Batman as a good honest psychopath.

So the X-men end up in a bit of a grey area between superhero and meta-human. It basically depends upon personal preference. And there was that thing on Sky one, that had X in the name of it, but I've completely forgotten the name of it. Had the woman with the cat eyes who could leap around a lot, the girl with the bad hair who messed with minds, the chap who could turn solid like rock or vapid like the plot, and the baddie was Andi Warhol running some company called Gencorp. They all called themselves New Mutants, or metahumans.

TV is steering away from the superhero concept a lot these days, as it involkes images of burly men in brightly coloured lycra that just aren't as appealing as they were in the 50s.

And then you've got the Green Lantern. What's he? He's got all these super powers when he's wearing his ring, but when you take it away he's a bit of a wuss.

So basically, I think my point is this. In order to win your argument, you can claim that although these heros with no powers aren't supernatural, they do possessed enhanced abilities with regard to normal humans, making them meta- or super-human. So while they may not be superheros in the classic sense, they're still an evolutionary step above us, so they can kick our arses so they might as well be superheros as far as we're concerned.

And yes. I do watch far too many cartoons. :D

riscen mahster said:
batman..... dunno, depends on your precise definition of superhero(but there is no way he could beat spider-man)

Batman could so kick Spiderman's arse. Spiderman is always so consumed with angst over his 'great responsibility' and Mary Jane's clone that he's never 100% in the fight. Batman, however, has too much to lose if he lets his guard down. He's human and he'll die. He doesn't get blase about such things. First thing he'd do would be to incapacitate Spiderman's web slingers with some kick arse gadget. Then he'd get down to some dirty fighting. Spiderman can't do dirty fighting, he's too busy trying to be noble.

SillyWabbit said:
And plus Batman beat superman in Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns :D

Sometimes, I even think Batman could kick my arse. But then I realise, that's just silly talk.

sporks

Off topic, but I was so intrigued as to what a spork is I googled it, see above for one hit.

Saying that all decent superheros probably use sporks :D

Carlos said:
Saying that all decent superheros probably use sporks :D

I know I do. Get your spork fix here too. Some excellent full body shots. Check out the one with the caption 'A sturdy metal spork for the serious Sporkitsu student.' I have two of those. :cool:

spiderman vs batman

are you drunk? Spider-man is faster stronger, can detect danger... you batman people don't realize that spider-man has powers beyond web-shooters

But Spider Man really isn't that strong. All the strength and speed of a spider? Spiders are neither stong nor fast. He'd probably be able to walk up walls and stick to stuff, but I guess there must be lots of little holes in his costume to let the hairs poke through. However, the strength and speed of a spider? Hmm. Not really that formidable is it?

They can move a bit quick, but they're not especially fast for their size. They've got eight legs. If they move too fast they fall over. And they're just not strong. Silk is strong, yes. But spiders? No. Sorry. Afraid not. So that leaves 'spider sense'. His little hairy bits would be sensitive to chemicals and air movement, I'll grant you that.

So what do we have for Batman to fear? Some chap in bright red lycra who's hairy little body could sense him coming just in time for him to scurry, quite slowly, up a wall to hide? I don't think there's really too much there for Batman to worry about.

I'm afraid his little web slingers are a big pile of poo too. A liquid spray to silk in an instant, that sticks to buildings but not to hands, can be woven in seconds into a net (presumably on some sort of concealed spider loom?) and then disappears into nothing when it's dry, but not when it's dry and someone's swinging on it.

Nope. Sorry. Batman has strength, gadgets and logic on his side. Plus his costume is far cooler. He would definitely win this fight.

Litany said:
But Spider Man really isn't that strong. All the strength and speed of a spider? Spiders are neither stong nor fast. He'd probably be able to walk up walls and stick to stuff, but I guess there must be lots of little holes in his costume to let the hairs poke through.

He probably can't get out of the bath.

Back