• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Supersize Me

Freya said:
I started the thread, therefore I can take the topic in any direction I choose.

Let's go to Peru!

I see. On Tuesday and elderly English gentleman, by the name of John Peel, keels over and dies of a heart attack in Peru. Now you want me, another elderly English gentleman, to go there. Do you have a hidden agenda? Have I said something to upset you?

Irene Wilde said:
He said, in essence, these are my thoughts. Do with them what you like, or don't.

Irene Wilde

Isn't that what we all do?

Anyway, I disagree with everything in that paragraph. I just don't think one bit of it is true for myself or anyone I know, unless they are purely selfish, egotistical, and have no self-knowledge or humanity. I could go through it statement by statement, but overall I think that would be a waste of time, because, as above, it is not my aim to convince anyone else of my beliefs.

However, I don't think having this in context would change its resident message.

Freya said:
As a matter of fact, yes! Now shut up and tell us about McDonalds, love or bodily secretions. Your choice.

1. After 10 days of eating Greek food on holiday earlier this month the first thing I did when I reached Athens airport was run to McDonalds and have a big mac & fries. It was delicious but I got stomach cramps 10 minutes later.
It was my first visit to McDs for over three years and I'd forgotten about stomach cramps.
2. I'm so old and crippled I've forgotten what love is.
3. And I'm far too old to have any bodily secretions you'd be interested in.

novella said:

Do you mean all, as in everybody everywhere? If so, the answer is no. Lots of people refuse to share their thoughts (tell me, what is the point in having an opinion, if you're not going to share it very loudly with everyone that will listen?), lots of people share a thought and then apologise for it. And then there's some people who don't seem to have thoughts at all. And then there's the people that have lots of thoughts and are intent on changing your thoughts so that they match theirs.

Off for a restorative cup of tea.

Originally Posted by Billy Oblivion
2. I'm so old and crippled I've forgotten what self love is.

Freya said:
I've read about that :(

You little hairy minx. That isn't a quote, it's an edit. I didn't say anything about self love!
It's well known that I love myself a lot. I need to change my mirrors every six months due to th love bites on them.

novella said:

Anyway, I disagree with everything in that paragraph. I just don't think one bit of it is true for myself or anyone I know, unless they are purely selfish, egotistical, and have no self-knowledge or humanity.

I'm not saying that it is necessarily true, but who's to say it's not? Perhaps a combination of chemical attraction combined with psychological attachement is the answer. The point is that I'm not going to assume I know the answer simply because I want to believe some deeper form of love is true. Perhaps we are shallow creatures, perhaps what makes us believe we are so much deeper is that we convince ourselves of it because it's what we perceive is more respectable. I don't know for sure what's true about this subject and I think it would take some of the greatness out of it if I did. To tag something as ludacris because it doesn't fall in with our perception of it is reaching.

To refer to your specific examples, I"m not sure that you would have to consider the impulse to procreate all that deep. The pheramones we give off have a great deal to do with our immune system. This leads us to be attracted to those that have a contrasted genetic makeup to our own in this area to thereby create offspring with the most immunities. Is this so deep? The human impulse for survival could be referred to as shallow quite easily as well I believe. I've not read Krishnamurti so I can't really comment on what he was explicitly stating. I just don't think we should jump on something so quickly because we assume we are above it.

Ooook, just got a phone call, family member just died, apologize for cutting this short but I have to go, have a good day all.

~ True

Freya said:
Do you mean all, as in everybody everywhere? If so, the answer is no. Lots of people refuse to share their thoughts (tell me, what is the point in having an opinion, if you're not going to share it very loudly with everyone that will listen?), lots of people share a thought and then apologise for it. And then there's some people who don't seem to have thoughts at all. And then there's the people that have lots of thoughts and are intent on changing your thoughts so that they match theirs.

Off for a restorative cup of tea.

Well said, Freya. though i assumed there might be variety of reasons behind that. and it did help me understand myself a bit more. :)

Bobby Burns: Thank you for the quotation. imo, that quote seemed to talk about that unconditional love. and i thought backsratching or that sort of thing is more about details of love, or forms that have been transformed in daily life.

*sigh* did not want to say anything right now. here is a word: :D

bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

if you ever read joyce' finniginn's wake, you would already have known it.

people usually get offended when I tell them that I love my mom the same way I love pizza. I mean, I like her a lot, she makes me feel good. she's my mom, after all. she's always excited and smiling, she never yells at me, it's great. I have no problem telling her that I love her, but it feels cheap. if I had my way about things, it wouldn't be like that. but in the end, the one who I love and worship is myself.

True@1stLight said:
The point is that I'm not going to assume I know the answer simply because I want to believe some deeper form of love is true. Perhaps we are shallow creatures, perhaps what makes us believe we are so much deeper is that we convince ourselves of it because it's what we perceive is more respectable.

and i don't think there is deep one or shallow one? how can you (not you, but in a general sense) judge one love is shallow, but others' are deep ones? ooooooooops, i think i was trapped. yeah, maybe it is right that the word love is hollow. something behind that word counts.

Back