• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Supersize Me

Freedom is slavery.

watercrystal said:
:confused: where does this come from?

QUOTE]

It comes from "nineteen eighty four" by George Orwell. One of the slogans of the ruling party. At university I wrote a thesis to prove the truth inherent in the statement.

[clearing the way for a tasteless, yet topical, remark]

I like your smell,
you're really swell,
I'm charlton heston for contel.

Cathy C said:
Really miss the deep-fried, crispy pastry apple pies. Now they serve "baked" pies that are tasteless and doughy.
We recently went to KFC and discovered that they have the crispy fried apple pies. We were in heaven. Run, don't walk, to your nearest KFC immediately!

Mmmm.... fried.

Well said Cajunmama.
;)
I was at the videostore last night and saw "Super Size Me" on the shelf, yet hesitated to pick it up, because I didn't want to watch a guy screw up his body like that. The comments on the outside of the video packet say:"Hilarious comedy", and I wonder what could be so funny about getting bloated, depressed, fat and ill?
However, after reading up on all the previous comments in this thread, I think I've changed my mind and will rent it, just to see.
For those of you who are curious, what I did pick up was "The Day After Tomorrow". Definitely not hilarious or true, but an interesting concept regarding the world's weather nowadays. Also, the special effects are very well done. I was entertained from start to finish.

Saw the DVD last night. It's disgusting at parts, and much more polemical than I expected. Very Michael Moore at points (trying to call the CEO of McD's to interview, etc.).

But if you want to eat less junk food, see it. Even the doctors were shocked at the ruinous mess he became.

Mort said:
We recently went to KFC and discovered that they have the crispy fried apple pies. We were in heaven. Run, don't walk, to your nearest KFC immediately!

Mmmm.... fried.

Ooo! Thanks, Mort! I usually go through the drive-up and hadn't noticed that entry. Maybe it's time to venture inside to see the full board! Yay!

Cathy
Mmm.... fried!

watercrystal said:
yah. better to be laughed at/discriminated by being a prostitute than being as a FAT one. :rolleyes: this ridiculous world :mad:

Hey, prositutes have to eat too! They just look at the nutrition label before they do it ! :D

like most forms of love, it's meaningless. I used the word sarcastically.

I read an explanation krishnamurti gave on love a long time ago. I thought I'd share it with you. typically, I don't like quoting him because I never liked reading other people's commentaries on him, but maybe you can see it for what it is, as well as learn something about yourself.

"here is an enormous problem that involves the whole of mankind, there have been a thousand ways of defining love and I myself am caught in some pattern or other according to what I like or enjoy at the moment - so shouldn't I, in order to understand it, first free myself from my own inclinations and prejudices? I'm confused, torn by my own desires, so I say to myself, `first clear up your own confusion. perhaps you may be able to discover what love is through what it is not.' the government says, `go and kill for the love of your country'. is that love? religion says, `give up sex for the love of god'. is that love? is love desire? don't say no. for most of us it is – desire with pleasure, the pleasure that is derived through the senses, through sexual attachment and fulfilment. I am not against sex, but see what is involved in it. what sex gives you momentarily is the total abandonment of yourself, then you are back again with your turmoil, so you want a repetition over and over again of that state in which there is no worry, no problem, no self. you say you love your wife. in that love is involved sexual pleasure, the pleasure of having someone in the house to look after your children, to cook. you depend on her; she has given you her body, her emotions, her encouragement, a certain feeling of security and well-being. then she turns away from you; she gets bored or goes off with someone else, and your whole emotional balance is destroyed, and this disturbance, which you don't like, is called jealousy. there is pain in it, anxiety, hate and violence. so what you are really saying is, `as long as you belong to me I love you but the moment you don't I begin to hate you. as long as I can rely on you to satisfy my demands, sexual and otherwise, I love you, but the moment you cease to supply what I want I don't like you.'

bobbyburns said:
"here is an enormous problem that involves the whole of mankind, there have been a thousand ways of defining love and I myself am caught in some pattern or other according to what I like or enjoy at the moment - so shouldn't I, in order to understand it, first free myself from my own inclinations and prejudices? I'm confused, torn by my own desires, so I say to myself, `first clear up your own confusion. perhaps you may be able to discover what love is through what it is not.' the government says, `go and kill for the love of your country'. is that love? religion says, `give up sex for the love of god'. is that love? is love desire? don't say no. for most of us it is – desire with pleasure, the pleasure that is derived through the senses, through sexual attachment and fulfilment. I blah blah blah.'

Wow is that shallow. It has nothing about backscratches at all. Nothing about putting the newspaper back the way it was when you found it. Talk about confusion. My question is What do I get out of it? Where's MY baloney sandwich? Ooooh you missed a spot. That stuff. I'm like, you call this philosophy? Where's the center of gravity here?

I've lent his books out to people dozens of times, so I'm used to this response. either the information gets through or it doesn't. it's pointless to say he's right or wrong. I think he actually cared about humanity, but that's my perception. I have a video of him giving a talk in california, this girl was arguing with him because she thought what he was saying didn't make any sense (love is shallow?), and for a split second you can see tears coming out of his eyes.

anyway, I don't consider it a philosophy either.

It doesn't seem to be trying to be philosophy so much as a reflection of reality. Whether you accept or not is contingent on your perceptions, but it's truth or falsity remains unattainable.

okay, then. This implies that unrequited love and frustrated (unfulfilled) love do not exist. Is that so? I don't think so.

To me, this paragraph refers more to the social construct of mating, along with its social dependencies, implied trust, and potential for cuckolding. Those arrangements are auxilliary to, not central to, romantic love (which seems to be the focus here).

In exploring the basis for long-lived human romantic-love relationships, it's interesting to look at the smelly t-shirt experiment, in which women smell worn t shirts of men and pick the ones they think smell "good". Apparently the pheremone-based scent that attracts them is a strong indicator statistically for a good genetic and romantic match.

That reminds me of a little experiment I read about. Lactating women wore absorbant pads in their bras. These pads were then given to a seperate group of women to sniff. Another group of women were given normal pads that hadn't been in any ladies bras to sniff. When they compared the libido of the two groups of pad sniffing ladies, they found that the ones who had been sniffing the pads from the lactating ladies bras, had experienced a marked increase in their sex drive.

True@1stLight said:
It doesn't seem to be trying to be philosophy so much as a reflection of reality. Whether you accept or not is contingent on your perceptions, but it's truth or falsity remains unattainable.

It's difficult to capture Krishnamurti in a paragraph. As someone (I won't mention names, Mr. Burns) said to me, you almost have to read and re-read the man's words before you can begin to understand what he's saying. He builds a foundation before he starts talking about "love," what love is and what it isn't and it's role in the human condition. Taking one paragraph and standing it on its own removes it from context. Also, Krishnamurti never asked anyone to agree with him. He said, in essence, these are my thoughts. Do with them what you like, or don't.

Irene Wilde

Novella and Freya: you are lowering the tone. from philosophy to sniffing persons intimate fluids in one small leap. That's what I love above this MB.

Back