• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Supersize Me

Abulafia said:
I agree. Although you missed out their donations to fund the terrorism of the IRA.

I'd just like to say that this is rubbish; the story came about in the early eighties and was spread by a bunch of trendy lefty tree huggers and bunny lovers. The truth is that on each McDonalds pay slip in the USA there is an Internal Revenue Allottment (IRA). When some British Trots saw IRA on McDs paychecks they jumped to entirely the wrong conclusion and thus started the ongoing Urban Myth. Back in 1987 my ex wife (a tree hugging Trot) led the local McDs boycott based on this Urban Myth. She was already my ex then and the first I knew of it was when I was walking past one day and say all the Militants with placards outside McDonalds. I helpfully stopped and pointed out the origins of the story and my ex blushed but refused to believe me. I think she just didn't want to lose face in front of the others. No wonder she hates me.

Jenem said:
I don't think anyone is saying it's OK to ridicule overweight people. The problem (at least for me) is that many feel that blaming fast food places for their weight is valid.

I think it's ok to ridicule overweight people. And midgets.

The truth is that on each McDonalds pay slip in the USA there is an Internal Revenue Allottment (IRA

Huh? Having worked at McD's in my wandering youth, I don't know what this is. Do you mean federal and state income taxes, perhaps? The Internal Revenue Service handles federal taxes. That's all I can think of...

If this was a dating service I'd be be sending a private message.

I think my husband would object. 20 years and counting. :eek:

I think it's ok to ridicule overweight people. And midgets.

Well, sure, midgets. But then, who doesn't? :rolleyes: (kidding, folks, just kidding!)

I think the IRA referred to by BO is an Individual Retirement Account (or 401K) contribution directly deducted from a paycheck. That is a commonplace practice, but not for part-time, casual workers like high-school burger-flippers.

Far from funding terrorism, McDonald's is an open target worldwide for terrorists groups and has been attacked several times (Chile, France) as emblematic of all that is wrong with American cultural exports.

Thanks Novella, that would be right. I couldn't remember all the details from that long ago. I read an article in The Times about the Urban Myth about a year before my ex wife started the boycott in our home town so although I was quite happy to see the Trots picketing McDonalds I thought they ought to be doing it for the right reasons (for the right reasons see several of the above postings).

mr_michel said:
fat people its the most discriminated group in modern world :eek:

yah. better to be laughed at/discriminated by being a prostitute than being as a FAT one. :rolleyes: this ridiculous world :mad:

Really miss the deep-fried, crispy pastry apple pies. Now they serve "baked" pies that are tasteless and doughy. Sigh! Such is the price we pay...

Cathy
Penguins don't have to worry about supersizing it!

Back