• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

SUPPLEMENTARY POLL!! Themed Reads.

Should we try themed reads a few times per year?

• Yes

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

I've received an interesting PM from a member who is active in this area and the moderation team has decided to put the idea to the members who are active in this area for a vote. If you do not ever use this area, please be respectful of the members who do and allow those people to do the voting. You are welcome to discuss this idea below. Voting will last roughly one week.

Would you be interested in trying themed reads a few months of the year? The idea would be that the membership would be allowed to choose four themes (through a further selection and voting process) each year. Those themes would be assigned to appropriate months (spaced roughly every three months). During the suggestion process members would need to suggest books that can be tied to the theme. We would do it only every third month so that members who enjoy the BotM as it is would still have eight "free" months per year for suggesting whatever books they want.

I did some poking about online and called my local bookshop and library to see what themes other clubs have used so I could give people an idea of what a theme might be. These are not necessarily the themes we would use as I would be looking for suggestions from members as to what they wanted to try.

Example Themes:

And the "Bookie" goes to...
(critically acclaimed or award winning books)
Banned Books
Beach Reads
(easy books we would normally overlook, but are perfect for the beach/poolside; could also be books about life along/on the water)
Caribbean Authors (this is just one example of many ethnic or culturally based themes)
Classics
Non-Fiction
Sleep with the Lights On
(October, scary books)
Tasty (For the most part, books involving food, chefs, restaurants. some were just books with food on the cover or a good recipe within the story)
This Guy is Ancient (most suggestions were from before the Renaissance, although one was a book about two sisters who lived to be more than 100 years old)

It does sound good, I think the themes could bring up some really interesting books that may not otherwise come up.

I think it's a good idea too. I'll finally be able to go to the bookstore and make a quick purchase instead of wandering around for hours and still not knowing what to buy :D.

Anamnesis said:
I think it's a good idea too. I'll finally be able to go to the bookstore and make a quick purchase instead of wandering around for hours and still not knowing what to buy :D.
Why leave off the wandering around for hours bit? Thats half the fun! LOL :eek: Still wander around, then buy. ;)

There is no "Quick" in book stores. :eek:

Sounds like a good idea to me. I already have a few books in mind that would fit the "sample" themes that were listed. :D

th_popcorn.gif

(It's lovely to eat popcorn and watch a great idea unfold here.):)

I always find myself about to make a suggestion but ending up not because I can't decide on a book. With themes it would narrow down the choices into an easier selection (for me at least :p ). I love the idea.

*passes out more popcorn*

CDA said:
Yes or no?

Sorry - too tricky for me.

I know everyone loves polls with forty-five different versions of yes, no or maybe, but they drive me nuts. Hopefully this one won't be too tricky. ;)

mehastings said:
I know everyone loves polls with forty-five different versions of yes, no or maybe, but they drive me nuts, hopefully this one won't be too tricky. ;)

The KISS principle is often underrated. :D

OK. I guess I wasn't expecting this kind of a response when I said this would be open to voting for a week.

So, I'm going to keep this poll open (in case there is a last minute dissenting mob that wants to vote later on), but I'm also going to open up a thread for discussing ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back