• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Thanksgiving Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardLowry

A Thanksgiving from a Grateful Nation

Today, Americans enjoy a freedom unequaled in the history of civilization. Our good fortune goes unnoticed by most everyone in their day-to-day lives. We are free to express ourselves. We are free of oppression. We are free of fear.

We move about in our daily lives taking our children to school, little league games, and the movies. We are safe and comfortable in our homes at night and the vast majority of us do not want for the necessities of life – food, clean water, and shelter.

Our lives are utopian, yet most Americans never stop to think about the hundreds of thousands – millions – of brave young men and women who are standing at the gates, guarding our lifestyle: the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines who are fighting, bleeding and dying in foreign lands so that we may remain free.

My family has not forgotten the sacrifices made by these men and women and their families. I would personally like to voice our thanksgiving to all of the members of our armed forces and their families for the contribution they are making on my family’s, on our nation’s, and on the world’s behalf.

We know that you all stand on a thin green line which protects us from the dark side of today’s world.

Let us not forget the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our freedom; and let us all take a moment to remember the mothers, fathers, wives, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters of these heroes. Let us all mourn their losses.

The greatest tribute we could ever pay to our American servicemen and women, both living and deceased, is to stop on Thanksgiving, pause during that football game, or stop and think as you sit down to dinner with your family that our lives are good because of the sacrifices of others. Consider what America would be without the men and women of our military. Stop and thank the next Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine you see. We all owe our freedom to them.

Semper Fidelis,

Richard S. Lowry

RichardLowry said:
We are free of fear.

Shame the rest of the world can't say the same!

Still, have a nice Thanksgiving my American chums.
Especially Ms Irene Wilde. And RaVeN. And Cathy C. And whichever of the rest of you are American (I haven't checked everybody's personal details).

Billy Oblivion said:
Is that a suggestion or a question.
A bit of both. Although one could wish that America was without fear I don't think thats the case.

Hay

hay82 said:
A bit of both. Although one could wish that America was without fear I don't think thats the case.

Hay

I tend to think that our soldiers are fighting around the world because America is afraid , not to defend our freedom. It's a nice thought though, even if it is an illusion.

So Happy Day we stopped to think for a second before wiping out an entire indigenous people! ;)

Now to stear away from politics... hope you Americans have a happy Thanksgiving. I sure enjoyed ours last month. :p

RichardLowry said:
. Consider what America would be without the men and women of our military. Stop and thank the next Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine you see. We all owe our freedom to them.

Semper Fidelis,

Richard S. Lowry

Dear God, first of all, bless American men and women of their military, soldier....Sailor, Airman, policemen, and their families, fathers, mothers, aunts, uncles, blah, blah, please.

Secondly, bless them in conquering the rest of the world as soon as possible. people are sick of waiting.

Lastly, bless whatever you want to bless!

Thank god!

oh, god, bless me leave this madhouse as soon as possible as well. n--u--r--s--e---,

RichardLowry said:

Today, Americans enjoy a freedom unequaled in the history of civilization.

Pffffft.

Our lives are utopian

Pffft.

yet most Americans never stop to think about the hundreds of thousands – millions – of brave young men and women who are standing at the gates, guarding our lifestyle: the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines who are fighting, bleeding and dying in foreign lands so that we may remain free.

Pfft.

Consider what America would be without the men and women of our military. Stop and thank the next Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine you see. We all owe our freedom to them.

Pffft. The war is for many reasons political, economic and social. Freedom has nothing to do with it.

Pfff.

Hello, welcome to our planet. Where are you from?

RichardLowry said:
Today, Americans enjoy a freedom unequaled in the history of civilization. Our good fortune goes unnoticed by most everyone in their day-to-day lives. We are free to express ourselves. We are free of oppression. We are free of fear.
I don't know, richard, that's gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

RichardLowry said:

We move about in our daily lives taking our children to school, little league games, and the movies. We are safe and comfortable in our homes at night and the vast majority of us do not want for the necessities of life – food, clean water, and shelter.

Our lives are utopian, yet most Americans never stop to think about the hundreds of thousands – millions – of brave young men and women who are standing at the gates, guarding our lifestyle: the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines who are fighting, bleeding and dying in foreign lands so that we may remain free.

My family has not forgotten the sacrifices made by these men and women and their families. I would personally like to voice our thanksgiving to all of the members of our armed forces and their families for the contribution they are making on my family’s, on our nation’s, and on the world’s behalf.

We know that you all stand on a thin green line which protects us from the dark side of today’s world.

Let us not forget the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our freedom; and let us all take a moment to remember the mothers, fathers, wives, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters of these heroes. Let us all mourn their losses.

The greatest tribute we could ever pay to our American servicemen and women, both living and deceased, is to stop on Thanksgiving, pause during that football game, or stop and think as you sit down to dinner with your family that our lives are good because of the sacrifices of others. Consider what America would be without the men and women of our military. Stop and thank the next Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine you see. We all owe our freedom to them.

Semper Fidelis,

Richard S. Lowry

^ Excerpt from the new book by Richard S. Lowry - 'Dr Delusional: How I learned to stop worrying and love Agent Orange'

watercrystal said:
Dear God, first of all, bless American men and women of their military

And their allies who are unnecessarily involved and dying for another nation's fictional freedom. ;)

RichardLowry said:

I think only slightly more than half the nation is truly grateful. After the recent election enquiries into Canadian immigration increased by an exponential rate. Whether this was a knee-jerk reaction or a mass determined will remains to be seen.

Today, Americans enjoy a freedom unequaled in the history of civilization.

How so? Because you can buy guns or have this thing called free speech?

Our good fortune goes unnoticed by most everyone in their day-to-day lives.

I don't see being the most hated nation in the world as anything fortuitous. Hated; not envied which is a typical American spin on this. This applies to the nation and not to the complete roll of citizens.

We are free of oppression. We are free of fear.

Free of oppression? The recent election practically voted in an oppressive Orthodox Christian state.
Free of fear? Yet there are constant shifts in terrorism alerts from colour to colour depending on the mood of the nation or the more negative events of your goverment. (Our government does that too!)

We are safe and comfortable in our homes at night and the vast majority of us do not want for the necessities of life – food, clean water, and shelter.

It's a pity your healthcare makes a mockery of the Hippocratic Oath. I don't remember Hippocrates saying let he who hath money, and he alone, be healed.

I have a problem with "dying in foreign lands so that we remain free" as you don't state what you are free from. Surely countries such as Afghanistan, Vietnam, Iraq, etc. weren't imprisoning you unlawfully. Hmmm, Guantanamo; Camp X-Ray.

And I don't believe they are dying to remain free but to help boost a doomed economy. While the US goes on defying international treaties/policies it has made a big mistake regading the Kyoto treatise. While it pumps foul smoke into the air (which blows our way via the wonders of Coriolis ;) ) the rest of the civilised world is looking into alternative methods of powering (hydro, wind, solar, etc.) and when all coal and oil reserves finally dry out countries such as the UK will be ready to rock and roll with a 'business as usual' attitude while the US languishes and big businesses go 'Shit!'

Commendable.

A dark world full of despots created by a nation fighting for its freedom. A nation fighting for its freedom that doesn't condone other nations fighting for its freedom.

It's that sort of flag waving stuff that gets the rest of the world annoyed. I wish more Americans would take time out of their own country to visit others; they'll appreciate the greater world view and won't be so dedicated to politically charged broadcasters with their own agendas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back