• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The BEST American accent

mr_michel said:
i know people from newfoundland but never noticed anything special about the accent, must pay attention next time

not everyone's is thick, but it is really fun to watch a group together get into it, you often haven't got a sweet clue as to what is being said.

man, you guys have a problem... i'm happy when i understand what people say, but to be honest i like the Australien accent... that kinda sweet..

honeydevil said:
man, you guys have a problem... i'm happy when i understand what people say, but to be honest i like the Australien accent... that kinda sweet..

It's not my problem, honeydevil. Besides, the Australien accent isn't an American accent.

my favorite American accent (for a male) is southern. specifically, Matthew McConaughey's texan. i get weak in the knees. maybe it's just him

Wabbit said:
You got a problem with the way I talk?! :mad:

My friend is currently in town from home, and my accent went from being barely perceptable to holy-mother-of-God-people-are-staring-at-me. It's amusing how quickly it changes depending on who I'm talking to.

RainbowGurl said:
When I listen to Americans talking they always seem to say "Ya know". Does all or most americans say this?

No, we dont' all say that. I saw it a lot when I was down south for vacation. An even more annoying version is "Ya'll know". I just can't get into southern accents. Sounds like rocks in the mouth to me.

Rocks in the mouth? I've never heard that before, but Y'all is the best word ever. I don't remember many folks in the south saying "you know" I always thought that was, like you know, a valley girl thing.

Jenem said:
my favorite American accent (for a male) is southern. specifically, Matthew McConaughey's texan. i get weak in the knees. maybe it's just him

There is a lot of difference between a Southern accent and a Texas drawl. I have always thought of the Texas drawl to be more "country" than "southern". I have also thought some (maybe much) of the southern belle thing is put on. I still think it's sexy, though! As I said earlier, I also like the west texas accent, and Mr. McConaughey is dreamy! :D

Robert said:
There are so many transplants in Virginia, it's hard to find someone that actually has one.

And there are actually several different "dialects" of the Virginia accent. If you get down near Norfolk, the folks there talk very differently than the more countrified lazy speak of Farmville. And different from both of them is the amusing "Chesapeake Bay" accent, wherein "Saturday" becomes "Sairdey"...

True, accents are different in the south depending on were you live and such, my father's family was french so we used a lot french words, the adults used french often, although I still don't speak french I know quite a few single words. We have less of a drawl and many northerners don't notice my accent, unless I've had a few drinks or as Leckert said I'm purposely using my accent, which I do with some of our friends that really like it.

mehastings said:
Sounds like rocks in the mouth to me.

My dad used to say that to sound like an Upstate New Yorker, you have to pretend your holding a little bit of water in the bottom of your mouth.

leckert said:
There is a lot of difference between a Southern accent and a Texas drawl. I have always thought of the Texas drawl to be more "country" than "southern". I have also thought some (maybe much) of the southern belle thing is put on. I still think it's sexy, though! As I said earlier, I also like the west texas accent, and Mr. McConaughey is dreamy! :D

i like them all, provided they're not over emphasized. Matt McC's is just my favorite.

Kookamoor said:
You got a problem with the way I talk?! :mad:

My friend is currently in town from home, and my accent went from being barely perceptable to holy-mother-of-God-people-are-staring-at-me. It's amusing how quickly it changes depending on who I'm talking to.

Not at all! It's only that it's not a sexy accent! Can't win em all :D

Back