• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Bible?

The author of the article on the King James Bible mentioned that it had succeeded in translating Hebrew Idiom literally, and boy did he say a mouthful there.

Translate idiom literally? Yeah, I'm wondering if he knows what those words mean...

Back to the original article though, I wonder at the end of the day if it really matters? Overal do you think the King James Bible has been a valuable addition to the Christian faith, or has it had a detrimental effect by ostracizing people who don't care for the sound of it?

Being neither a Christian nor a native English speaker, I'm not sure I'm the right person to answer that - my interest in it is more as a work of literature. Though I tend to quote Bill Hicks: "If the [King James] Bible was the exact word of God it'd be real clear and easy to understand! God's got a way with words, being the creator of language and all..."

Being neither a Christian nor a native English speaker, I'm not sure I'm the right person to answer that - my interest in it is more as a work of literature. Though I tend to quote Bill Hicks: "If the [King James] Bible was the exact word of God it'd be real clear and easy to understand! God's got a way with words, being the creator of language and all..."

Touche' Bill Hicks (whoever he is) !
:)
Thats why I use the NASB!

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Genesis creation story. To me, it is wonderfully written and just plain magical. I have the first verses memorized, there is just a very special quality about it. Right now, I'm working through the book of Jeremiah. I'm concentrating more on the OT books that I have neglected to study in past years. I've been more of a fan of Paul as a writer, particularly in Ephesians and Galatians.

Interesting article:

New York Times: A High Holy Whodunnit

One day this spring, on the condition that I not reveal any details of its location nor the stringent security measures in place to protect its contents, I entered a hidden vault at the Israel Museum and gazed upon the Aleppo Codex — the oldest, most complete, most accurate text of the Hebrew Bible. The story of how it arrived here, in Jerusalem, is a tale of ancient fears and modern prejudices, one that touches on one of the rawest nerves in Israeli society: the clash of cultures between Jews from Arab countries and the European Jews, or Ashkenazim, who controlled the country during its formative years. And the story of how some 200 pages of the codex went missing — and to this day remain the object of searches carried out around the globe by biblical scholars, private investigators, shadowy businessmen and the Mossad, Israel’s intelligence agency — is one of the great mysteries in Jewish history. ...

I'm not taking a side, but I think that if one would like to understand what some people are saying about good and evil(and I understand that these can be viewed as very relative concepts), someone could read about pantheism and try to understand that. In that case good and evil would simply be what you percieved it to be. And can something be evil if you percieve it to be good? These are interesting questions.

I would categorize any book that has a talking snake as a character under Fiction. This book definitely belongs under the Fiction section.

Back