• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Bible?

Motokid said:
I could not believe that any real God would have so much bias against females

A lot of that has to do with translation and to a lesser extent, the authors' bias. It was intended to underscore ancient religions where women/godesses played important roles. I've got a lot of really interesting documentation on it somewhere from a historical class on witchcraft I took.

mehastings said:
A lot of that has to do with translation and to a lesser extent, the authors' bias. It was intended to underscore ancient religions where women/godesses played important roles.

translation...author bias...intent....yep, those are things I have issues with too...

mehastings said:
A lot of that has to do with translation and to a lesser extent, the authors' bias. It was intended to underscore ancient religions where women/godesses played important roles. I've got a lot of really interesting documentation on it somewhere from a historical class on witchcraft I took.

Exactly right. Biblical scholars will tell you that the Old Testament has about four or five different writing perspectives. Some works are more respecting of authority-such as Moses and the priests meeting with God, while others emphasize the rebelling against religious authority and emphasize the role of renegade prophets. It's very interesting to read works that were considered heretical by early christian leaders, such as the gospel of Thomas. It has been my general finding that if you are looking for the real meaning of the Bible and what it represents is impossible, due to codified dying churches that are around these days. It's the work of scholars that has me most interested in learning more and in seeing that the different tribes had their own agenda in relation to those around them and God.

mehastings said:

Authors' bias is an interesting point. There seems to be quite a bit of culture or gender bias in the bible, but I so rarely hear anybody talk about it.

Motokid said:
ummm...so yeah, which bastardized, customized, revised, re-told, re-perspecitivized, re-biased, re-printed version of this fable is the "correct" version to read if one was planning on trying to get through this mess? I don't mean which one is "right" for you. I mean which one is the worldwide accepted "real" version that's as close to the original writtings as possible?

The Protestant Bible (66 books) and the Catholic Bible (73 books) are different. So I think it would depend on what is your Religion. But you said “real” version. Both are accepted. You can read either or (if it's just for the sake of reading it), depends on your liking. In the Protestant Bible there were books that were omitted in the OT: Tobit, Judith, 1 and 2 Maccabees (these are historical books), Wisdom, Sirach and Baruch.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
Have you read any of it? Are you a signed-up believer?

I've skimmed it. No, it sits on the shelf with the rest of the religious texts. I plan to read them all when society as we know it ends, and then pray for salvation.

Motokid said:
ummm...so yeah, which bastardized, customized, revised, re-told, re-perspecitivized, re-biased, re-printed version of this fable is the "correct" version to read if one was planning on trying to get through this mess? I don't mean which one is "right" for you. I mean which one is the worldwide accepted "real" version that's as close to the original writtings as possible?

On topic: I started to try to read through from beginning to end, and couldn't make it. I really believe that the percentage of "christians" that have read the entire thing from beginning to end is very, very small. Most like to pick and chose the passages to meet their particular needs and desires. It's easier to justify your actions when you only use bits and pieces of it.

I could not believe that any real God would have so much bias against females, and allow innocent children to pay for the sins of their parents. The very idea that we are born with sin keeps me from ever wanting to believe in that kind of God.

The only thing people need to use to live by is:

"Do unto others, as you would have then do unto you."

Which is not from the bible, but could save people so much time, energy, hatred, and hypocracy.

You may not agree, but the president did it lawfully.

There are new editions like the New American Standard that are supposed to be very accurate. I believe the bias found in the bible reflects the cultural bias of the era, not God.

I have a difficult time accepting the old and new testament as the word of God for the following reasons:

1. What of the other people in the world who have no concept of a judeo-christian God. Are they lost?

2. It was written by men in the Middle East so there are laws in the book that no longer affect us.

3. It's full on contradictions.

4. Once Constantine and the Catholics got hold of it they made hash out of it.

5. The bible doesn't include all the gospels including the gnostics.

6. Basically because I believe it's a load of bull. No offense to any religious persons reading this, it's just my opinion.

7. There are tons more reasons why, but my fingers are tired of writing.

Robert said:
There are new editions like the New American Standard that are supposed to be very accurate. I believe the bias found in the bible reflects the cultural bias of the era, not God.

I'm not so sure a book that's supposed to represent the "word of god" should have cultural bias, or be so time dated. Unless you meant "cult"-ural....

1. What of the other people in the world who have no concept of a judeo-christian God. Are they lost?

Not only that, but they've had established laws and governments long before.

2. It was written by men in the Middle East so there are laws in the book that no longer affect us.

I love the part about not sowing different seeds in the same field, wearing clothes made from more than one fibers, as well as stoning kids who talk back to the parents. Of course, we can overlook these, but darn it!, same-sex marriage should not exist and it's in the Bible!. :)

4. Once Constantine and the Catholics got hold of it they made hash out of it.

Yep, that guy really did those other groups in. I'm currently reading a great book that summarizes some compelling scholarly work that the writings in John were meant to counter-act the book of Thomas. They have the same structure and he appears to undermine him on certain topics-especially in relation as to which apostle was the closest to Jesus.

5. The bible doesn't include all the gospels including the gnostics.

Which is a true shame, they would certainly liven up the Old Testament.

6. Basically because I believe it's a load of bull. No offense to any religious persons reading this, it's just my opinion.

I reached similar conclusions on my own. After awhile, you notice the left out books and the history that if you research it, does not appear as great as maybe what others made it to you as being.

ruach said:
I've skimmed it. No, it sits on the shelf with the rest of the religious texts. I plan to read them all when society as we know it ends, and then pray for salvation.

In your infinite wisdom, does it hold true and is its course set? It's good to make plans for 'The End Of Society As We Know It', I already have a bunch of coupons that I stole off a drunk priest...

If I said to you that Plato and a bunch of his cronies dreamt up the bible, what would you say?

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
In your infinite wisdom, does it hold true and is its course set? It's good to make plans for 'The End Of Society As We Know It', I already have a bunch of coupons that I stole off a drunk priest...

If I said to you that Plato and a bunch of his cronies dreamt up the bible, what would you say?

I've got a couple of guns lying around for just such an occasion.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Personally, I believe it is older than that. There is this cool painting that fits my image of it wonderfully, Stanley Spencer's "The Last Supper." Here it is. I'm sure if you search around you can find a better picture of it. I suppose the reason if for it was something like Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights."

The Last Supper is a fraud! I mean the painting. Who knows, J.C. may have gotten together with his boys for a snack before they came to get him, but he sure as heck was not sitting at a table because they didn't use tables or chairs back then. They ate sitting on the floor, in a circle, sharing a communal bowl and flat bread.

But that is just another example of how the western world has to
"westernize" everything. J.C. was from the middle-east, which means he had short, curly hair, dark skin, and almond shaped eyes. Nothing like the paintings we see.

ruach said:
There is this cool painting that fits my image of it wonderfully, Stanley Spencer's "The Last Supper." Here it is. I'm sure if you search around you can find a better picture of it. I suppose the reason if for it was something like Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights."

I can't really make out what's going on in the painting...I've looked for a better version, but it came up apple-less...As for the bible, I think I'll probably write a few more books to add to it during the next few years or so.

As for The End Of Society As We Know It, you're right to stock up on your fire-arms. Who's gonna mess with you if you start shooting holes in people's heads? Answer: No-one.

I've been planning the coupons thing cos I feel I'll probably have to hang-out in the woods for a few days till things calm down. Then, I'll stomp-out and go looking for survivors...You know...'Women and children'...all that shit...

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
I can't really make out what's going on in the painting...I've looked for a better version, but it came up apple-less...As for the bible, I think I'll probably write a few more books to add to it during the next few years or so.

As for The End Of Society As We Know It, you're right to stock up on your fire-arms. Who's gonna mess with you if you start shooting holes in people's heads? Answer: No-one.

I've been planning the coupons thing cos I feel I'll probably have to hang-out in the woods for a few days till things calm down. Then, I'll stomp-out and go looking for survivors...You know...'Women and children'...all that shit...

I might try to take a picture of my litho of it later today.

Right on.

The woods are a good idea. May I suggest Tom Brown jr. as a helpful guide.

ruach said:
May I suggest Tom Brown jr. as a helpful guide.

I already asked Tom, but he said he's made plans with Davy Crocket so I'll have to go it alone. No problem, I've got those coupons...

Personally, most of what I've read in the bible, I read with my eyes. Both of them.

Back