• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Chronicles Of Narnia

Thanks for the suggestion Prolixic. It might be just the think for my 10 year old, who goes for that sort of thing.

To you and other that have shown interest: Be sure to visit the new teen and young adult forum with your suggestions. I hope that we'll have some younger readers join in the discussion.

I was reminded this weekend that Anne McCaffery has a series directed at young people too. I guess its pretty good: Dragonsinger, Dragon Drums, and a few others.

i read Northern Lights, the first book of the his dark materials trilogy, when i was in year 7... thats when i was 11. i didnt understand the theology until much leter but i definately enjoyed the story line and so did a lot of the other kids who read it. It's a good book for older children, and now im older i still enjoy re-reading, especially as i discover more and more of the theology every time.

The wind on fire trilogy is a must read...seriously. i read that when i was younger aswell and i still read it, though it isn't very deep and meaningfull.

Has anyone read sabriel, lireal and abhorsen trilogy. for teenage boys its a good idea. it has death and things in it. girls will like it too, but oys who think reading is for geeks can say to their little friends 'i read this really good book about dead guys' its sounds horrible, but its not as bad as it sounds

Chronicles of Narnia

Has anyone read the novel by C.S. Lewis titled the Chronicles of Narnia? Was it any good? Cause a new film is coming out based on this book. The film looks very interesting and very well made, I personally can't wait to go see it. What do you guys think about it?

For those of you that dont know about it check it here: www.narniaresources.com

i read an excerpt for the 3rd one for english when i was in 5th grade.. we watched a few of the movies as well. [older ones, obviously]

i hate that it seems to be a trend right now. i was just thinking about it today. now i see some of the trendy girls carry around the book [all 7 in one] since its on sale in walmart

SFG75 said:
Some interesting books on C.S. Lewis are being churned out as of late. check out this Christian Science Monitor article.:)

Found another excellent article, this one in this week's U.S. News & World Report.:)

Thanks for the articles. My kids are excited about the movie since they love the whole series. They've confiscated and read to death, my copies of the Narnia books. Since those are dust, they're each starting their own collections.

I picked up the 7-in-1 edition at Wal-Mart the other day. Hubby says I don't read enough to the kids, so I'm planning on starting that one after Christmas.

I think the books in their original format are very nice. My Grandmother bought be the set when I was about eight or nine and I re-read them lots of times. About a year ago we bought all seven novels for my six year old; they are the same as the originals except the small sketched pictures throughout the book have been coloured and the paper is high quality (slightly glossy). A very nice collection. I hope he reads them as often as I did.

I've just given up on the Chronicles of Narnia series. :rolleyes: I made a stupid New Years Resolution to finish every book I read/borrow/buy, which is why I've forced myself to read the first three books, but I've just had enough! :mad: :p I've been so wound up reading these books that I don't like, that I actually threw Prince Caspian at the floor hard (twice! :eek: ). (Stupid resolution to make, really! :rolleyes: )

I can't really say what it was that annoyed me about the books. I had read about the Christian symbolism, and I think that maybe wound me up a little, because I just wanted to read a good book, without feeling like I was being preached to. Also, maybe I'm losing my "child's mind", because I found the same thing happening with the Harry Potter series. I would roll my eyes and think, "Gimme a break, that would never happen" (though I have no problem with other "unrealistic" books). Something about the way children's books are written, tend to get under my skin a bit, now that I read them as an adult.

Anyway, I just have to say that I don't understand what the fuss of the series is all about? What is special about them, or so different from any other childrens fantasy novel? :confused:

Back