• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

"The old ram stands looking down over rockslides, stupidly triumphant."

Grendel - John Gardner (translator)

"South Sea travellers are strikingly different from all other kinds of tourists."

Love in the South Seas, Bengt Danielsson.

"On a late-winter evening in 1983, while driving through fog along the Maine coast, recollections of old campfires began to drift into the March mist, and I thought of the Abnaki Indians of the Algonquin tribe who dwelt near Bangor a thousand years ago."

Harlot's Ghost - Norman Mailer

It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

"The legends say that when the blood of the Wide Valley wolves mingles with the blood of the wolves outside the valley, the wolf who bears that blood will stand forever between two worlds."

"It was already starting to get boring. I mean how many times can you do the same thing ?"

The Suicide Club by Gayle Wilson

"On the afternoon of October 12, 1990, my twin brother Thomas entered the Three Rivers, Connecticut Public Library, retreated to one of the rear study carrels, and prayed to God the sacrifice he was about to commit would be deemed acceptable."

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

The old man tailboned down in the car seat and rolled the cinnamon ball over to his other cheek.

Skywater by Melinda Worth Popham

"In the attic where the rain touched the roof softly on spring days and where you could feel the mantle of snow outside, a few inches away, on December nights, A Thousand Times Great Grandemere existed."

From The Dust Returned
- Ray Bradbury

They were both lying, propped up by an elbow, on the bristling carpet of short, coarse grass which was fighting for its life on top of the cliff, the roots clinging desperately to the thin layer of earth and finding cracks in the rock beneath.

Ramage's Devil by Dudley Pope

A great city is nothing more than a portrait of itself, and yet when all is said and done, its arsenal of scenes and images are part of a deeply moving plan.

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

Pusan South Korea, 1952

After dark the rain began to fall again, but he had already made up his mind to go and anyway it had been raining for weeks.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

by David Wroblewski

Southwich walked slowly across the quarterdeck to where Ramage stood trying to find some shade from a small awning which, having done so much service in the Tropics, now comprised more patches than original cloth and in places was so threadbare from the sun and wind that it provided only a lttle more shade than a piece of muslin.

Ramage's Trial by Dudley Pope

Back